Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mooper
Read this primer first

• In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation.
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • Reported reimbursed incidental charges have included baggage and other service fees, award and change fees (incl standby, SDC), taxes, in-flight purchases (not WiFi), lounge access fees, EC upgrade (seat assignment) fees, priority boarding fees, Delta mileage booster fees, and DL eGift Cards/eCerts (see section below). Charges not posted by Delta (e.g., partners) are not eligible. Note that the Global Entry fee reimbursement is a separate benefit in addition to the $200 Delta incidentals reimbursement.The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year.
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely. After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

eGift Card (eCert) details

• Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) qualify for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry. They will later post as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts.

For other airlines: AS Thread | B6 Thread | HA Thread | UA Thread | WN Thread
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Ritz
+1 ^ - Thanks for the clarity (and legwork) Henry!
Originally Posted by fstop75
Thanks Henry82! ^ Saved me some time!
Glad to help!

Originally Posted by sbjnyc
I bought 6,000 skymiles using the 100% promotion for $225, which would effectively be 12,000 skymiles for $25. It hit my Amex bill as Delta Air Lines so I assume I will get reimbursed. I plan to do the same thing next year assuming there is a similar promotion.
sbjnyc, please keep us updated on this, very curious to know if the fees to buy miles gets reimbursed under this AMEX credit. If it does, then there's hope that the transfer fee may qualify too!
Old Aug 20, 2011, 1:22 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Is Delta's Economy Comfort Fees Eligible for AMEX Platinum's $200 Credit

Friends,

Has anyone had any experience charging the fees for Delta's Economy Comfort seats to their AMEX Platinum and whether the fees are credited back per the $200 Airline Credit benefit?

I did a search in the Delta Forum, and I got the sense that folks had success receiving a credit for these charges. Before I buy my tickets (MIA to LHR), I called AMEX to confirm that I could receive the credit. I was advised by the CSR that these fees were not eligible. I pressed him on the category of "seat assignment fees," but he asserted this category was for charges for merely getting a seat assigned, not for "Economy Comfort upgrades" (his term).

So, has anyone had any experiences in this area?

Thanks!
Old Aug 20, 2011, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by mia
How much Per person does Economy Comfort cost MIA-LHR?
$60 per segment per person.

Our flight is direct. So, in total, purchasing into Economy Comfort is $120 for me and $120 for my significant other.

Originally Posted by mia
Merged NavyUCF's question into the existing discussion. Scroll back to about post 214: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post16379916
Thanks for the link. This is the post that I found in my research and that I referenced in my original post . . . and this is why I was surprised that the AMEX CSR rejected me.

(And, thanks for the thoughtful merging.) :-)

Thoughts?

Last edited by NavyUCF; Aug 20, 2011 at 1:51 pm Reason: Combine two consecutive replies
Old Aug 20, 2011, 1:53 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The CSR is telling you American Express policy. The thread reports American Express practice. These are frequently different. There is a high probability that the fees will be reimbursed automatically, but no guarantee.

If the fees are not reimbursed you will need to argue forcefully that the published terms of the benefit do not exclude seat upgrade fees, and that their internal list of eligible fees is not binding on the customer.

Last edited by mia; Aug 20, 2011 at 2:03 pm
Old Aug 20, 2011, 2:22 pm

Thanks for the guidance!

Will proceed accordingly.

One follow-up: I am under the understanding that the $200 airline credit is shared between me and the authorized user, rather than each getting their own credit. Is that right?
Old Aug 20, 2011, 3:49 pm

Programs: MileagePlus, AmxMR, SPG-Gold
Originally Posted by NavyUCF
Thanks for the guidance!

Will proceed accordingly.

One follow-up: I am under the understanding that the $200 airline credit is shared between me and the authorized user, rather than each getting their own credit. Is that right?
Correct: $200 includes for the primary card-holder and all authorized user(s), not $200 for each.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:27 pm

Delta Amex 20% off

My Delta Gold Amex just wrote with a new benefit of 20% back on in-flight spending using the Delta card (starting Sept 1) - food, alcoholic bevs, movies, headsets.

So to reiterate my previous posts, at least in my case (holding both Amex plat and Delta Gold cards) I believe Delta is not a good choice as my Selected Airline for the $200 benefit. Next year I will choose another airline.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 1:01 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by NavyUCF
$60 per segment per person.

Our flight is direct. So, in total, purchasing into Economy Comfort is $120 for me and $120 for my significant other.

Thanks for the link. This is the post that I found in my research and that I referenced in my original post . . . and this is why I was surprised that the AMEX CSR rejected me.

(And, thanks for the thoughtful merging.) :-)

Thoughts?
I have been successfully reimbursed $40 for Economy Comfort seat selection as a Gold Medallion. I think if the charge is $120, what I would do is select a seat, pay for it, and then go through and select the second seat and pay for it. That way AmEx sees two $120 charges rather than a $240 charge. People have reported great success with things in the $120 range, but a $240 charge will probably not be processed as quickly and automatically.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 1:10 pm

Payment/posting/credit

I bought DL miles for $210(+tax=$225) yesterday. Still don't see any pending charges. Does anyone know what the time frame is in which I should expect to see the charge/credit? I bought the miles hoping that the $200 credit would apply and I'm anxious to know if it did...
Old Aug 29, 2011, 9:44 am

DL Charge

My miles purchase posted as the following. It was a DL purchase (not points.com or something) but it shows as a "ticket". Will this be a problem when it comes to getting the $200 credit applied?

08/28/2011 Sun DELTA AIR LINES ATLANTA 225.75

DELTA AIR LINES
N/A
N/A YY
N/A YY
N/A YY
N/A YY
Ticket Number : [redacted] Date of Departure : 1231
Passenger Name : [redacted]
Document Type : FREQUENT FLYER FEE/PURCHASE
Doing Business As: DELTA AIR LINES
Merchant Address: ATLANTA AIRPORT
ATLANTA
GA
UNITED STATES
Reference Number: [redacted]
Dispute/Inquire about this charge
Category: Travel - Airline
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by crimson12
My miles purchase posted as the following. It was a DL purchase (not points.com or something) but it shows as a "ticket". Will this be a problem when it comes to getting the $200 credit applied?

08/28/2011 Sun DELTA AIR LINES ATLANTA 225.75

DELTA AIR LINES
N/A
N/A YY
N/A YY
N/A YY
N/A YY
ATLANTA
GA
UNITED STATES
So did you get credit? I'm looking to use up the rest of my $200 benefit for the miles transfer from my wife's account.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 7:33 am

Economy Comfort Reimbursed

Follow-up to my earlier post, #404.

I purchased into DL Economy Comfort for my significant other and I for each leg of a transatlantic trip. The transactions appeared as 4 separate $60 purchases (reduced from $80 because of my Silver Medallion status).

3 of the 4 purchases were successfully reimbursed.

Yay!
Old Sep 2, 2011, 8:18 am

Hm, Navy's post got me thinking... if it was $60x4 ($240), why did DL only reimburse 3 of the 4 ($180)? So then I wondered, does the entire purchase have to total less than $200? In other words, if buying E+ cost $250, would Amex reimburse $200 of it, or none at all, because the price is over $200?
Old Sep 2, 2011, 8:24 am

Hm, Navy's post got me thinking... if it was $60x4 ($240), why did DL only reimburse 3 of the 4 ($180)? So then I wondered, does the entire purchase have to total less than $200? In other words, if buying E+ cost $250, would Amex reimburse $200 of it, or none at all, because the price is over $200?
I haven't called AMEX, but my guess is that 4 X $60 would be, of coure, over $200 max, so the company did not reimburse the fourth transaction. (Incidentally, I think I had spent about $15 on a Delta flight in terms of meals.)
Old Sep 2, 2011, 8:36 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
DELTA AIR LINES
N/A
N/A YY
N/A YY
N/A YY
N/A YY
ATLANTA
GA
UNITED STATES
I, too, transferred miles from my wife's account to mine, used her Plat card to pay the total fee of exactly $200, and it appeared on the statement exactly as above. This was a week ago and there's no credit yet.

OTOH, I booked two award tickets and paid the tax/fees with my Plat card ($58 each), they showed up similarly and were credited within a couple of days. The only difference is that the "Document Type" shows "Additional Colleciton" for the reimbursed ones, while the one above shows "Frequent Flyer Fee/Purchase" - has anyone got the latter type credited?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.