Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mooper
Read this primer first

• In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation.
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • Reported reimbursed incidental charges have included baggage and other service fees, award and change fees (incl standby, SDC), taxes, in-flight purchases (not WiFi), lounge access fees, EC upgrade (seat assignment) fees, priority boarding fees, Delta mileage booster fees, and DL eGift Cards/eCerts (see section below). Charges not posted by Delta (e.g., partners) are not eligible. Note that the Global Entry fee reimbursement is a separate benefit in addition to the $200 Delta incidentals reimbursement.The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year.
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely. After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

eGift Card (eCert) details

• Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) qualify for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry. They will later post as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts.

For other airlines: AS Thread | B6 Thread | HA Thread | UA Thread | WN Thread
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Old Dec 8, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
I see otherwise...
Oh, sorry, I must have mis-read it.

...but I would interpret "upgrade" to mean moving from one cabin to another. This is a fee for choosing a specific seat in the economy cabin.
That seems dubious at best. But it's worth a shot.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, American AADvantage
Pulled the trigger...but decided to be a little sneaky...

Put one seat change on the Plat to get the reimbursement of the remaining $95. Since I'm having to pay outright for the second anyway, put it on the Amex Delta Gold to get double miles.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by awbyrd
Pulled the trigger...but decided to be a little sneaky...

Put one seat change on the Plat to get the reimbursement of the remaining $95. Since I'm having to pay outright for the second anyway, put it on the Amex Delta Gold to get double miles.
Not sneaky. Smart!
Old Dec 9, 2014, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pleasantsn
I have the same thing. Purchased 4 certs on Wednesday. I was scared because it authorized as one transaction for $200, but now I'm seeing the individual $50 transactions, and like you mentioned they show as passenger tickets from Los Angeles to Los Angeles. Just waiting for the credit now...
Credits posted on Monday 12/8. Wiki is absolutely correct, 4 certs in one cart works fine even though it authorizes as one $200 transaction.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 4:18 am

FYI bought 2 $50 certs this past Wednesday. $100 transaction that showed up on my statement as 2 $50 charges. Credit was given yesterday (Monday).
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:16 pm

bought 4 gift certificates for 50 USD each last week, got reimbursement in 7 days. Also, the purchase triggered 4 "Premium Baggage Insurance" Charges for 5.75 USD each. Had to call to get them removed.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 10:01 am

Help

Need help!

I bought a ticket using these certificates from my platinum card. I paid using the certificates + credit card. I had to cancel flight so they are returning the portion that was from the credit card. Delta says they can't return the certificates and that I have to call Amex to get the certificates back.

What do I do? Has any one gone through this before?
Old Dec 20, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: 2006 NW SE; 2007 NW GE; 2008-2009 NW PE; DL PM
I just got the Platinum card and yesterday selected Delta as the airline. I only see e-gift cards and gift cards offered on Delta.com, not the e-cert as talked about on the post. Does anyone know if Delta removed the e-cert or am I looking in the wrong place? I used the link in the WIKI and it goes straight to e-gift card and gift card. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 5:03 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by possib1edoc
... I have to call Amex to get the certificates back.
I think the Delta agent is misunderstanding the type of certificate that you used. Paying for gift certificates with an American Express card does not transform them into an American Express product, they are sold by Delta. I suggest you read the terms here:

https://www.delta.com/egift/eGiftPur...Denomincations

Scroll down to the Terms & Conditions link.

In particular:

Where eGifts or Cards are redeemed for a ticket, but travel is not taken, the value of the redeemed ticket (after any applicable penalties) will be provided in accordance with Delta Air Lines' standard policy regarding ticket refunds
Old Dec 20, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
I purchased 4 $50 gifts and four days later got all four $50 credits posted. Worked great!
Old Dec 21, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: 2006 NW SE; 2007 NW GE; 2008-2009 NW PE; DL PM
Are e-gift cards the same as e-certs?

Originally Posted by yngdiego
I purchased 4 $50 gifts and four days later got all four $50 credits posted. Worked great!

Are the e-gift cards the same as the e-certs that will be reimbursed if you purchase not to exceed $50.00? All I can find are the gift cards for sale on Delta.com and want to make sure this is correct. Thanks for any help.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by orftomnl
Are the e-gift cards the same as the e-certs that will be reimbursed if you purchase not to exceed $50.00? All I can find are the gift cards for sale on Delta.com and want to make sure this is correct. Thanks for any help.
My guess is they are the same thing but I'm also holding off on buying one till tomorrow hoping someone can confirm that on thread. So....great question! Answer anyone?
Old Dec 21, 2014, 4:05 pm

I bought E-Gift cards earlier this month in 50 USD amounts.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 4:25 am

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GarlicFlyer
I bought E-Gift cards earlier this month in 50 USD amounts.
Good enough for me. I'm off to purchase now...
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by orftomnl
Are the e-gift cards the same as the e-certs that will be reimbursed...
See Wiki. Same thing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.