Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mooper
Read this primer first

• In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation.
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • Reported reimbursed incidental charges have included baggage and other service fees, award and change fees (incl standby, SDC), taxes, in-flight purchases (not WiFi), lounge access fees, EC upgrade (seat assignment) fees, priority boarding fees, Delta mileage booster fees, and DL eGift Cards/eCerts (see section below). Charges not posted by Delta (e.g., partners) are not eligible. Note that the Global Entry fee reimbursement is a separate benefit in addition to the $200 Delta incidentals reimbursement.The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year.
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely. After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

eGift Card (eCert) details

• Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) qualify for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry. They will later post as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts.

For other airlines: AS Thread | B6 Thread | HA Thread | UA Thread | WN Thread
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Old May 17, 2011, 12:22 pm

hi guys now i enrolled with delta for the 200$ the question is if i buy AA GCs will i be credit .do i have to be enrolled with AA to get the Credit.
i need some deltails please
Old May 18, 2011, 10:12 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
My statement closed without a credit for the $150+ DL award fee. I sent a secure message asking about it (not specifically referring to it as "award" fee) and got a reply that it takes "up to 4 weeks" to process airline enrollment and 6-8 weeks for credits. I enrolled DL as my preferred airline two days before the fee posted. The rep also helpfully added all the "covered" and non-covered types of fees (listing award fees as ineligible, but we know how well that's enforced).

So, now I'm thinking it's a timing issue? I'm gonna wait another couple of weeks, since it's been about five since the charge.
Old May 18, 2011, 10:28 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, A3 Gold, WN CP, and lots of points everywhere.
DL - Use Reimbursement WITH eCerts

Apologies for the title, meant to write DL - Use Reimbursement WITH eCerts.

While booking recently, it occurred to me that Amex has been pretty consistently crediting for airfares that less than $100 so I decided to try booking a fare and using an eCert to pay for MOST of the fare. The remainder, around $75 (but not exactly), was charged to my Platinum card.

The ticket showed on my Amex bill as Additional Collection. That was a good sign... And two days later a credit of the same ~$75 amount appeared.

I prefer to pay with my Amex Gold PR for the 3x MR but this was pretty nice.

Last edited by mia; May 18, 2011 at 10:54 am
Old May 18, 2011, 11:17 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Anyone know how to get a DL change fee credited when they have automatically deducted it from original fare and left an eCredit for the balance in my DL account? How to submit this to AmEx Plat for my airline credit?
Old May 19, 2011, 11:30 am

Programs: DL Platinum 1MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Just bought this for my family of 4 and had $200 statement credit that posted the same day. It posted person by person so it posted as 60-60-60-20.
Thanks...I just bought it for my two kids on a DL flight from TLV-ATL in Dec.(different locator). I'll look out for the credit.
Old May 23, 2011, 6:39 am

Programs: DL, AA, BA, SPG
Can anyone comment on how to get cancellation fees (as opposed to change fees) reimbursed? With Delta if I cancel a flight, they simply deduct the fee from the Delta credit that they issue. There are no charges that show up on the card for reimbursement.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by jmorgans
Can anyone comment on how to get cancellation fees (as opposed to change fees) reimbursed? With Delta if I cancel a flight, they simply deduct the fee from the Delta credit that they issue. There are no charges that show up on the card for reimbursement.

I asked the same question a few pages ago, regarding change fees -- the problem is the same for either cancellation or change fees. Delta does not provide any documentation to show that the $150 charge was imposed, merely issues the balance of the ticket price as an eCredit, so HOW can one get AmEx to reimburse it as an airline credit?
Old Jun 1, 2011, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
I asked the same question a few pages ago, regarding change fees -- the problem is the same for either cancellation or change fees. Delta does not provide any documentation to show that the $150 charge was imposed, merely issues the balance of the ticket price as an eCredit, so HOW can one get AmEx to reimburse it as an airline credit?
If it's not charged to your Amex, you can't.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by mreed911
If it's not charged to your Amex, you can't.

The original ticket IS booked to my Plat AmEx but DL doesn't send ANY documentation of the change fee; just immediately deducts it and posts the remaining balance as an eCredit.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 6:16 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
...immediately deducts it and posts the remaining balance as an eCredit.
American Express would not be aware of this, it's merely an internal bookkeeping entry at Delta. You would be able to recover the fee only if it required a additional card transaction.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 9:37 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
finally registered to let you guys know my reimbursement

I called up Amex and picked Delta as my choice...and then immediately booked a $245 flight with a $100 voucher, and got reimbursed the remaining $145 immediately when the charge came through...
Old Jun 18, 2011, 10:28 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion | SPG Gold
Airline Reimbursment Covers A Lot

So when I got my platinum card I immediately signed up for the airline fee Reimbursment for Delta. We used my dads card to sign up for continental last Christmas when we flew them to Charleston. And honestly, I think it's one of the best features of the card. Now that UA and CO have merged our bag fees and change fees were covered on our UA trip to Europe. Something we weren't expecting. Then today I see that my Amex paid for the companion fee for my dad (a companion ticket for $100 from our delta amex). Never would have expected that but it just made my upcoming flight much more enjoyable.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 3:10 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by ryandc99
Has anyone bought a DL Gift Cert yet?
Originally Posted by twoner32
I might try to just end this long debate on here
Any data points on this?
Old Jun 30, 2011, 1:01 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, A3 Gold, WN CP, and lots of points everywhere.
Originally Posted by ianturner
so what i'm learning from this thread is that since im a plat on DL and get free bags, free SDC, and free award redeposits, i should select another airline for the card choice and go the gift card option?
Likewise, I'm a DL Plat and selected Delta. It's been tough finding some easy use of the credit. Here's what worked for me very well:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16408348-post230.html
Old Jun 30, 2011, 7:46 am

I'm in the same boat (plane?) as a DL plat. When I recently looked to see if I could purchase DL gift certificates since that seems a popular use in this thread, the DL Web site indicated that the certificates had to be bought at ticket offices (I assume that includes airports) of which there are practically none and that they could not be used online. I'm not exactly sure what the previous poster (msp2msy) recommended in terms of eCerts. I infer that this is if you are using one but the fare in question exceeds its value? Again, that would not be relevant for me. Any other ideas?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.