Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mooper
Read this primer first

• In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation.
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • Reported reimbursed incidental charges have included baggage and other service fees, award and change fees (incl standby, SDC), taxes, in-flight purchases (not WiFi), lounge access fees, EC upgrade (seat assignment) fees, priority boarding fees, Delta mileage booster fees, and DL eGift Cards/eCerts (see section below). Charges not posted by Delta (e.g., partners) are not eligible. Note that the Global Entry fee reimbursement is a separate benefit in addition to the $200 Delta incidentals reimbursement.The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year.
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely. After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

eGift Card (eCert) details

• Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) qualify for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry. They will later post as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts.

For other airlines: AS Thread | B6 Thread | HA Thread | UA Thread | WN Thread
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Old May 1, 2011, 2:25 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Is there a best way to cleanly harvest the $200 on DL without buying drinks, snacks or memberships.

I have not flown AA (though I have 150K miles to burn thx Citi) so I don't really want AA gift cards, and the tiny chance that they don't get reimbursed would stink if I elect AA for the entire year.
Old May 2, 2011, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
Is there a best way to cleanly harvest the $200 on DL without buying drinks, snacks or memberships.

I have not flown AA (though I have 150K miles to burn thx Citi) so I don't really want AA gift cards, and the tiny chance that they don't get reimbursed would stink if I elect AA for the entire year.
Delta: change fees, baggage, etc. If it works with the gift certificates I wouldn't really recommend since you have to go to the kiosk to purchase it AND you can't redeem online.

Best way to be honest is to purchase the AA gift cards, sell it, and use the cash to get what you want. If you buy $50 worth of AA gift cards it's still worth $50. When you sell you might sell for $40-45.
If you are worried about not getting reimbursed, it's pretty much for any transaction thus making you call into CS and requesting a manual credit.
Old May 2, 2011, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
I redeemed some (lots) miles for a J award to Europe this summer. DL charged me about $150 in fees. This was a couple of weeks ago and the offset credit has not yet posted (I did select DL as my 2011 airline a while back). Time for a secure message?
Old May 2, 2011, 5:11 pm

Programs: gold, titanium, platinum and diamond, but still no giraffe.
up to you. definitely if it's not on the next statement you get in the mail.

my credits have posted online with a varying number of days but they've always been on the same monthly statement as the charges.

Originally Posted by akcae
I redeemed some (lots) miles for a J award to Europe this summer. DL charged me about $150 in fees. This was a couple of weeks ago and the offset credit has not yet posted (I did select DL as my 2011 airline a while back). Time for a secure message?
Old May 3, 2011, 5:03 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Has anyone bought a DL Gift Cert yet?
Old May 4, 2011, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL Platinum 1MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Can the $200 AXP Plat Credit be used for the new DL Economy Comfort? Thanks
Old May 6, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jmw2323
Have seen people here who had to argue for their credit. Heaven forbid they actually honor what they offer without us having to demand it.

I purchased the US club membership. 4 weeks later, still no credit. I sent a secure message asking for the credit to my account specifically for the purchase of a US Club membership. Here's the response:

"I understand your concern.

I would like to inform you that the $200.00 Airline Fee Credit benefit is applicable for the following charges only:

Checked baggage fees
Overweight/oversize baggage fees
Change fees
Phone reservation fees
Pet flight fees
Airport lounge day passes and annual memberships
Seat assignment fees
In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, etc)
In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet)

This credit is not applicable for the following charges:

Airline tickets
Charges processed by merchants other than the airline the Cardmember is enrolled in (for example, inflight Internet services providers such as GoGo)
Charges made by airline partners (for example, Cardmember purchase ticket on enrolled airline Delta, but purchases food on an Air France flight)
Trip insurance / baggage insurance
Ticket upgrades (Including American Airlines Upgrade Stickers)
Travel agent fees
Point transfer fees
Duty free purchase
Award ticket fees
Gift cards issued by Airlines

I hope you find this information useful."
Has anyone had any luck purchasing a standby upgrade? I have an trip coming up to HNL. No upgrades on DL for medallions to Hawaii, so I was wondering if they have availability and I wait list, if the fee will be reimbursed.
Old May 8, 2011, 9:05 pm

I had booked a ticket using e-credit vouchers on DL. There was $116 remaining on my ticket that I charged to my Platinum card. I then cancelled that ticket later that day and rebooked, this time the difference after vouchers was $106. Today I had too credits post. First was for 106 and the second for 94... very interesting. Will be interesting to see if they stand and one doesn't get taken away since I had a refund posted too...
Old May 12, 2011, 1:26 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by FLYPWM
I'd like to know the answer to this, too. I guess it wouldn't be too hard to find out, since my understanding is that DL will refund your money if you later select a non-Economy Comfort seat.
Old May 12, 2011, 5:19 am

Here is one way it worked that surprised me. I used it to pay the taxes and fees on a Delta international award tickets. I was reimbursed in 1 day. Well, I had to cancel the ticket a while later (free for PMs and DMs, so no cost there) , my credit card was refunded for the amount (which was a good bit over $100) and amex didn't take the credit back they gave! In other words, I got the money for free! Don't know if that is a fluke or for real. Try it with an award Res sometime (no risk if you don't have to pay the cancellation)!
Old May 12, 2011, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by runfit
Here is one way it worked that surprised me. I used it to pay the taxes and fees on a Delta international award tickets. I was reimbursed in 1 day. Well, I had to cancel the ticket a while later (free for PMs and DMs, so no cost there) , my credit card was refunded for the amount (which was a good bit over $100) and amex didn't take the credit back they gave! In other words, I got the money for free! Don't know if that is a fluke or for real. Try it with an award Res sometime (no risk if you don't have to pay the cancellation)!
Interesting, because my int'l award ticket taxes/fees (appx $150) has not yet been credited and it's been a few weeks since I booked it.
Old May 12, 2011, 3:36 pm

Programs: SPG GOLD
Originally Posted by akcae
Interesting, because my int'l award ticket taxes/fees (appx $150) has not yet been credited and it's been a few weeks since I booked it.
I was told by AMEX that these are not qualifying charges. I'm not sure if others had luck with getting these fees covered but they were officially excluded from the program according to the email I got.
Old May 12, 2011, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by beta1607
I was told by AMEX that these are not qualifying charges. I'm not sure if others had luck with getting these fees covered but they were officially excluded from the program according to the email I got.
It all depends on the airline - they code it differently. Like with Delta, they most code it with something that is acceptable to Amex (not as a ticket purchase).
Old May 12, 2011, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by runfit
It all depends on the airline - they code it differently. Like with Delta, they most code it with something that is acceptable to Amex (not as a ticket purchase).
My award ticket is DL as well.
Old May 13, 2011, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by FLYPWM
Just bought this for my family of 4 and had $200 statement credit that posted the same day. It posted person by person so it posted as 60-60-60-20.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.