Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mooper
Read this primer first

• In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation.
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • Reported reimbursed incidental charges have included baggage and other service fees, award and change fees (incl standby, SDC), taxes, in-flight purchases (not WiFi), lounge access fees, EC upgrade (seat assignment) fees, priority boarding fees, Delta mileage booster fees, and DL eGift Cards/eCerts (see section below). Charges not posted by Delta (e.g., partners) are not eligible. Note that the Global Entry fee reimbursement is a separate benefit in addition to the $200 Delta incidentals reimbursement.The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year.
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely. After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

eGift Card (eCert) details

• Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) qualify for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry. They will later post as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts.

For other airlines: AS Thread | B6 Thread | HA Thread | UA Thread | WN Thread
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:03 pm

Data point: my award taxes in the amount of $600 (x2) showed no sign of a $200 reimbursement 3 weeks after the initial charges posted. Seemed like most folks had credits appear within days of the charge - was beginning to worry. So I called CS. Of course, I was given the T&C by the rep, and when I pressed her that it didn't say it excluded award ticket taxes - she of course replied, that it doesn't explicitly include them either. I knew that the answer might very well be "tough luck" - but I had to try. She put me on hold for a few minutes to investigate; came back and said she would put the request through manually. I thanked her and carefully watched my online statement. Sure enough, 2 days later, the credit has appeared. Whew.

Last edited by Retale_88; Mar 21, 2013 at 7:58 pm
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by LAX88
You can buy Economy Comfort seats, let the charges hit your account, and then move out of EC on the seat map to trigger a refund. That should work. I'm not sure what you mean by upgrade then cancel, though.
I just recently got the plat card. I have an international flight currently booked for May and if i do this trick above, I would get reimbursed for around $150 (2 EC upgrades...myself and a friend).

Has this worked? Moving into EC, get plat credit and then moving out to get refund from delta...
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:12 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
UPDATE: I went ahead and purchased the EC upgrade with my Plat card...ill wait until it posts, as well as the credit, then ill move out of the EC seats.

Last edited by alrvd83; Mar 26, 2013 at 10:24 am
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Colonel(Ret.)Wes
EC fees and taxes reimbursed in four days.
Was that 4 days from when the charge posted on amex, or 4 days after you made the EC purchase?
Old Mar 26, 2013, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by alrvd83
UPDATE: I went ahead and purchased the EC upgrade with my Plat card...ill wait until it posts, as well as the credit, then ill move out of the EC seats.
If the EC refund goes back to the original form of payment your fee credit may be withdrawn also.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by trek87
If the EC refund goes back to the original form of payment your fee credit may be withdrawn also.
Have you or anyone else successfully done this? That's what i was trying to gather lol
Old Mar 29, 2013, 9:44 am

Amex Plat credit for Delta Economy comfort seats...question??

Hello Everyone,

I thought to make another post because I cant seem to get a response to this question in the Delta $200 amex plat credit thread.

I recently paid for two economy comfort upgrades with my amex plat.

How long until the Delta credit shows up..on avg?

Also if i move out of economy comfort, after the credits show, I know that Delta will refund me the money. Will amex also take back the credit?

Thanks in advance for your help
Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Have you or anyone else successfully done this? That's what i was trying to gather lol
I don't have experience with your particular example because I am not charged for EC seats as a PM. Why not just try it and see what happens?
Old Mar 30, 2013, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by trek87
I don't have experience with your particular example because I am not charged for EC seats as a PM. Why not just try it and see what happens?
read a few posts up...I have already gone through with the process. I am now just waiting for the credit to post...
Old Apr 5, 2013, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Anybody use it for award ticket on VA with $200+ in fees?
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:26 am

Anyone successfully tried the delta economy comfort trick...anyone?
It indeed works, I recently flew DL and selected EC on an international leg, I was charged $50 for the seat selection, and AMEX reimbursed in 2 days for the charge. Then waited couple days before scheduled departure date, and changed my seat to Exit Row, couple days later Delta also refunded me $50. So my statement looked something like this

Delta $50
Amex ($50)
Delta ($50)

I did this inadvertently, however does prove it that this method works.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Lulu Chen
It indeed works, I recently flew DL and selected EC on an international leg, I was charged $50 for the seat selection, and AMEX reimbursed in 2 days for the charge. Then waited couple days before scheduled departure date, and changed my seat to Exit Row, couple days later Delta also refunded me $50. So my statement looked something like this

Delta $50
Amex ($50)
Delta ($50)

I did this inadvertently, however does prove it that this method works.
I can also confirm that this method works no problem
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by businessmachine
I can also confirm that this method works no problem
Thanks to you two as it worked for me as well.

A person earlier mentioned that the amex reimbursement "may" be refunded since Delta refunded the EC fee to me...did this happen to you both?

Also see the link below...

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...y-comfort.html

At the bottom it says...

Effective for Economy Comfort seat purchases on and after April 18, 2013, if a customer voluntarily changes their seat type once purchased, a refund for the original seat purchase will not be provided.

Looks like this trick wont work after April 18th
Old Apr 20, 2013, 4:43 am

Did your credit ever show up?
Old Apr 20, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: DL GM, BA Silver, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, PC Plat, Hyatt Gold, Accor Plat
I paid for Delta Economy Comfort seats on April 2 for 4 legs. Each seat showed as a separate charges on my AmEx plat credit card, posting on April 3. On April 4 the credits showed up on my account.

Sometimes AmEx doesn't recognize the charges right away and I know others have had to call and get the credits. Though I have not ever had to call.

Hope this helps. You may just need to call if it has been more than a few days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.