Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mooper
Read this primer first

• In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation.
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • Reported reimbursed incidental charges have included baggage and other service fees, award and change fees (incl standby, SDC), taxes, in-flight purchases (not WiFi), lounge access fees, EC upgrade (seat assignment) fees, priority boarding fees, Delta mileage booster fees, and DL eGift Cards/eCerts (see section below). Charges not posted by Delta (e.g., partners) are not eligible. Note that the Global Entry fee reimbursement is a separate benefit in addition to the $200 Delta incidentals reimbursement.The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year.
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely. After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

eGift Card (eCert) details

• Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) qualify for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry. They will later post as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts.

For other airlines: AS Thread | B6 Thread | HA Thread | UA Thread | WN Thread
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2012, 5:43 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, A3 Gold, WN CP, and lots of points everywhere.
Originally Posted by gooselee
Anyone have success with this when the remainder is a little bit higher? Looking at tickets now using an eCredit to cover part of it, but the remainder is going to be in the $150-$160 range. If not, I'd rather use my SM card and get the extra miles.
Ive actually approached $125 I believe and had it work but it's been a while and I don't see other reports that high so i'm reluctant to recommend it.

It's also been a while so ymmv.

Good luck!
Old Apr 26, 2012, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Thanks y'all. Decided to just toss this on the DL card and get the double miles. I'm sure I'll find creative ways to use the rest of my $200 on seat upgrades and adult refreshments in Y.

FWIW, the charge just posted to that card and it is showing as the "Additional Collection" category, with no flight/destination information, which I believe is what others had reported.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 3:36 am

Programs: DL GM, 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHC Spire
$200 promptly reimbursed from Delta use

Like this automatic feature of the Platinum Card
First 2 purchases were promptly reimbursed:
1) Change fee on daughter's return flight from JNB
05/25/2012 AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement Airline -149.10 and
2) remainder as portion of EC upgrade cost for her
06/01/2012 AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement Airline -50.90
Old Jun 13, 2012, 2:04 pm

Anyone get things like miles purchases reimbursed after the new policy? I had success twice (my acct and my wife's) but it seems, at least on paper, like that's prohibited now...
Old Jun 14, 2012, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone been reimbursed for (alcoholic) drinks in the Sky Club? That's not explicitly permitted or disallowed by the terms of this program. I figured since both the day pass fee for the club and drinks on the plane ARE allowed, drinks in the club would be too. Seems logical enough.

However, I've yet to be reimbursed for such a purchase about 3 weeks ago (one of my other charges took a few weeks to get credited so it could just be a delay in the system). I did get a letter the other day asking me to check that all my charges were reimbursed, and if not to call a number. I guess I'll be calling them...
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Has anyone been reimbursed for (alcoholic) drinks in the Sky Club? That's not explicitly permitted or disallowed by the terms of this program. I figured since both the day pass fee for the club and drinks on the plane ARE allowed, drinks in the club would be too. Seems logical enough.

However, I've yet to be reimbursed for such a purchase about 3 weeks ago (one of my other charges took a few weeks to get credited so it could just be a delay in the system). I did get a letter the other day asking me to check that all my charges were reimbursed, and if not to call a number. I guess I'll be calling them...
How do these charges appear on your statement? I imagine Amex could try to keep track of the day pass fees and key in on the amount to filter out valid/invalid charges, but if it's otherwise the same I don't see any other way they could make the distinction.

Though, I would also question why you're paying for drinks in the SC. I personally don't find the $10 premium drinks worth it when I can get a pretty decent bloody mary for free. To each his/her own, though.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 6:24 am

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National

I've never purchased any of the premium drinks in the Sky Club, but I was under the impression that the bar is contracted out, even though the Sky Club itself is run by DL. So unlike day passes or onboard drinks, the charging merchant may not be DL and AMEX won't see this as an eligible charge.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gooselee
How do these charges appear on your statement?
It shows up as "DELTA ATL T6" and some numbers and then the city/state. In the details S is classified as "restaurant" (may be the issue) but says d/b/a DLTSKYCLBTL. I'm going to call them now.

Though, I would also question why you're paying for drinks in the SC. I personally don't find the $10 premium drinks worth it when I can get a pretty decent bloody mary for free. To each his/her own, though.
well, one I paid because I assume I'd be reimbursed. Two, I probably wouldn't bother for a cocktail if it was my own money, but wine is a different story. The premium wine is decent stuff.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: DL only

Well I spoke to Amex - apparently the drink charges in the lounge are NOT eligible for reimbursement. Of course I put up a stink and spoke to a supervisor, because it's completely illogical. Every other charge from the airline that isn't eligible is specifically highlighted in the terms. They did finally agree to issue a credit, but that's sort of beside the point. At least now I know going forward, but it's certainly a strike against this program and the card in general. Especially since not all airline lounges offer free drinks (notably AA).
Old Jun 16, 2012, 4:55 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...not all airline lounges offer free drinks (notably AA).
This has changed, discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-policies.html
Old Jun 16, 2012, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Oh, ok, thanks for pointing this out, I missed it somehow.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 7:53 pm

Does anyone know if Amex will reimburse charges for going from economy to premium economy on international Delta flight? I'll be flying to Europe later this year and have the option to spend $80 to upgrade to economy seats with more legroom. Is this considered as an upgrade? Does anyone have any experience with this?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cc2k:18773444
Does anyone know if Amex will reimburse charges for going from economy to premium economy on international Delta flight? I'll be flying to Europe later this year and have the option to spend $80 to upgrade to economy seats with more legroom. Is this considered as an upgrade? Does anyone have any experience with this?
I've successfully gotten charges for preferred and Economy Comfort seats reimbursed on domestic flights within the past week. They post as "additional fee" on the Amex statement and were automatically credited a few days later.

Again, those were domestic flights, not international, but my opinion is that either way these fall into the "seat assignment" category rather than upgrade, since you're staying in the same cabin.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 7:08 am

Programs: Marriott PLT, SPG GLD, DL PM, National EE
Is getting gift certificates reimbursed a coin toss? Or is buying miles easier?
Old Jun 25, 2012, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by AFONTANEZ
Is getting gift certificates reimbursed a coin toss? Or is buying miles easier?
I got reimbursed for buying/transferring miles before the new policy change, and it was never "easy" -- took several calls, although it did eventually work. I have not tried since the new policy explicitly excluding those transactions from the reimbursement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.