Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Old Apr 9, 2013, 11:24 pm
LHG

Programs: AS MVP Gold and hotel status through their credit cards as needed :)
No such luck for me with certificates or small airline purchases on AS.
The platinum charge actually says gift certificate, so I wonder if they are following their guidelines more closely now.
Old May 12, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: MVP Gold, Hilton Gold
As a test I purchased a $25 certificate with my platinum card about 5 days ago, and the charge on the statement says: "ALASKA AIR GIFT CERTSEATTLE WA." I haven't gotten reimbursed yet.

Update 5/13 - I finally got the $25 credit from AMEX for the AS certificate. Hurray!

Last edited by rhizomatic; May 12, 2013 at 11:16 pm
Old Jun 17, 2013, 8:05 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
$200 Airline Fee Credit & AS Boardroom

Hi all,

Just got approved for the AMEX Platinum, which seems to be a popular choice here.

I have some upcoming trips, all on Alaska. I understand that with Priority Pass Select I can get myself into AS Boardrooms, and guests are billed at $27/person.

Would AMEX reimburse me for that fee? Or is it coded through Priority Pass and thus not an airline fee?

I looked here, as well as other threads and couldn't find anything:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ts-only-5.html

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:25 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by bj27
.... Priority Pass Select I can get myself into AS Boardrooms, and guests are billed at $27/person. Would AMEX reimburse me for that fee? .
American Express will not reimburse the guest fees because they are charged by Priority Pass, not by an airline.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:37 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by mia
American Express will not reimburse the guest fees because they are charged by Priority Pass, not by an airline.
Good to know. Thanks Mia!
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:36 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

anyone had fees associated with award booking or change fees, refunded under this (Amex 200) program?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 4:29 pm

Gift Certificate = incidental fee?

The T&C states " Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees"

But sounds like gift certificates are getting reiumbursed? Is that a loophole?

Update: When I spoke with amex, they said that neither gift certificates nor gift cards would be covered.

Last edited by bizum; Jul 8, 2013 at 10:30 am
Old Jul 8, 2013, 7:13 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Data Point:
July 3, Purchased 2 times $100 GC (Listed as Alaska Air Gift CertSeattle WA)
July 4, Used certificates on as.com
July 7, AMEX refunded 2 times $100 (Listed as AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement)
Old Jul 18, 2013, 3:05 pm

Color me surprised

Originally Posted by bizum
The T&C states " Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees"

But sounds like gift certificates are getting reiumbursed? Is that a loophole?

Update: When I spoke with amex, they said that neither gift certificates nor gift cards would be covered.
Well, I took the plunge and it worked. Bought 3 x $50 certificates for the same person and I just got the refund <1 week later.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
I'm going to rent the digiplayer for $10/person x 2 for the roundtrip flight. Will the charges reimbursed by Amex?
Old Aug 19, 2013, 1:53 pm

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk
I'm going to rent the digiplayer for $10/person x 2 for the roundtrip flight. Will the charges reimbursed by Amex?
Yes. We got our baggage fees, digi players and snacks reimbursed with no problems at all.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:38 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Originally Posted by SquarePeg
Yes. We got our baggage fees, digi players and snacks reimbursed with no problems at all.
Thank you ^
Old Sep 16, 2013, 2:03 pm

Success! Purchased two $50 AS gift certificates on September 11th. Amex reimbursement posted on September 16th.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
9/10 bought $200 ASA Gift Cert. Appeared on statement as Giftcert purchase (as reported by other posters).
8 days later, no statement credit - haven't given up hope yet, but not optimistic....

UPDATE

3 weeks on, still no rebate, so assuming it ain't happening.

As I'm stuck with AS for 2013, I'm going to try again (other cert already used). I can always use the cert, so nothing to lose. But even if I get it 2nd time around I'll switch to another airline next year - this benefit is central to my churn strategy, so not worth leaving things to chance.

Last edited by dgwright99; Sep 29, 2013 at 9:47 am
Old Sep 29, 2013, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by dgwright99
9/10 bought $200 ASA Gift Cert. Appeared on statement as Giftcert purchase (as reported by other posters).
8 days later, no statement credit - haven't given up hope yet, but not optimistic....

UPDATE

3 weeks on, still no rebate, so assuming it ain't happening.

As I'm stuck with AS for 2013, I'm going to try again (other cert already used). I can always use the cert, so nothing to lose. But even if I get it 2nd time around I'll switch to another airline next year - this benefit is central to my churn strategy, so not worth leaving things to chance.
Did you buy this as one $200 certificate? In my view, it would seem that Amex programmed this benefit to look at the dollar amounts and one charge of $200 would not seem like an incidental type fee, but 2 x $25 or $50's charges would.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.