Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: UA only. [2010 - 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase (this includes MPX). Click HERE.

Caution: As of December 2016, it appears that American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Credits generally appear 3-4 days after making the transaction. No need to worry unless they don't appear after a week.

TravelBank
funds can only be used on United and United Express flights. Partner flights are not eligible.

Gift Registry and Gift Cards

The consensus is that United gift registry contributions will be reimbursed and gift card purchases will not. So
  1. Log into united.com
  2. Set up a gift registry for yourself
  3. Use the link in your gift registry web page to send an announcement to your email address. This better, faster, and more reliable than searching for your gift registry, especially if you have a common name. Even someone with an unusual surname like mre5765 has could not find his registry after creating it.
  4. Log out of united.com
  5. Follow the Make Contribution in your gift registry email
  6. Contribute using your Amex platinum card

There seems to be no downside to contributing in sub-200 dollar chunks since the gift registry creates a single pool of cash. However there are lots of reports of successful fee credits from a single $200 donation. Whether done as on $200 transaction or eight $25 transactions, the result is that one will have $200 in ones TravelBank.

PLEASE NOTE: When you establish a gift registry for the first time, it will take 24 hours before the funds in the registry are available to use toward payment of a flight.

Do I have to join the united.com Club ($25 annual fee) to use my TravelBank?

Apparently not.

Does spending TravelBank credit count towards PQD?

Yes-for revenue flights only
Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
MPX (MileagePlus X)
It appears that this is no longer working. See this post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27589581-post1496.html.
Economy Plus fees
There are recent reports of this working on a per ticket basis. No recent report of an Economy Plus annual subscription being reimbursed.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold

I am a pretty loyal Amex Plat user, but I'm thinking of making the switch since Continental will no longer be a part of the point transfer or lounge programs. I was wondering though that if I stayed, could we use the $200 credit towards yearly lounge membership? I read all the material and it keeps saying "daily". Is that on purpose?
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:28 am

Programs: Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by thebreezytraveler
... could we use the $200 credit towards yearly lounge membership?
According to the Amex Platinum/Centurion travel benefit website, it says that the $200 credit can apply to baggage fees, flight-change fees, in-flight food & beverages, and airport lounge day passes.

http://transformtravel.americanexpre...efits/Details/

So, I'm guessing it could be used, which is a great deal.^
Old Feb 26, 2011, 3:02 pm

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: UA/CO only.

Would it work on United to buy up a segment to E+, or to buy the Award Accelerator offers? i.e. all these "Travel Options" they seem to push?
Old Mar 1, 2011, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by tpmgpeds
Would it work on United to buy up a segment to E+, or to buy the Award Accelerator offers? i.e. all these "Travel Options" they seem to push?
That's a good question. I guess it depends if it posts as a separate charge from the ticket. I don't know since I've always declined UA's sales pitches (seems like at least 5 per ticket transaction!). If it gets rolled into one ticket charge, the system would have no way to distinguish the upsell portion.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 11:33 am

Programs: DL SILVER AMEX MRHH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Recent United Experiences

I just flew cross country on United and upgraded to first for miles and cash. As the tickets were dirt cheap I used 15K miles each way and there was a 50.00 charge as well. Both $ 50.00 dollar charges were creditted back by AMEX within 24 hours of checkin (when the charges were incurred). Hope this helps with any decisions people may have.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:59 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I upgraded for cash on UA on the day of flight. No $200 credit and the agent I called said that upgrades weren't eligible for reimbursement. I thought they were, and the above poster got it -- so how come I didn't?
Old Mar 4, 2011, 9:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I upgraded for cash on UA on the day of flight. No $200 credit and the agent I called said that upgrades weren't eligible for reimbursement. I thought they were, and the above poster got it -- so how come I didn't?
What did the posted terms and conditions of the $200 offer say at the time you made the purchase?

THAT's what you hold them to, not some anecdotal reference on a message board. The terms are binding on BOTH parties, and disclosure is required (even if only by reference) if they want to change the terms.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 9:15 am

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
what about for a RCC membership?
Old Mar 4, 2011, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by ordogg
what about for a RCC membership?
I did get reimbursed for a PC spousal membership.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 2:53 pm

I bought an award ticket with United and it costed me 25.40. This amount was refunded in 2 days.

Last edited by skn2n8; Mar 19, 2011 at 2:53 pm Reason: na
Old Apr 9, 2011, 10:36 pm

Programs: ua 1k, spg plt
UA upgrade co-pay covered!

In the past month I did 2 Z -> NF mileage upgrades on UA that had copays of exactly $100 each.

Both times they were automatically reimbursed!

FYI, I checked-in online for one segment and at the airport counter for another to test both methods.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:42 am

Programs: UA Gold
$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: UA/CO only.

Anybody tried geting reimbursed for Continental.com gift certificates?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 8:04 pm

I'm not sure if this was already discussed, but figured I'd post anyway. It looks like the $200 airline fee credit is good for the fee they charge to use points for a specific airline. I recently used 100k points for CO and was charged $75 fee and $5 taxes. The $75 fee was reimbursed a few days later. I chose CO when I enrolled for the yearly credit.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by romo2owens4six
I'm not sure if this was already discussed, but figured I'd post anyway. It looks like the $200 airline fee credit is good for the fee they charge to use points for a specific airline. I recently used 100k points for CO and was charged $75 fee and $5 taxes. The $75 fee was reimbursed a few days later. I chose CO when I enrolled for the yearly credit.
Isn't that what the Platinum credit is normally for (along with other charges of course...)? Change fee's, baggage, airline fees, etc.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 8:12 pm

I bought miles from UA and got credit from Amex. Anyway to get more then $200?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.