Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: AA only [2011-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2013, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE.

Please wait a few days (up to 14) after purchase to post in this thread if you have not received reimbursement. Remember, you are purchasing a cash equivalent!

When you purchase your Gift Cards, you may wish to do it through one of these links; a portion of the purchase price will be donated to the applicable charity:

http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/komen-gift-card

Or alternatively put in the code KOMEN when you check out

to donate $5/$50 GC to Susan G. Komen for the Cure;

http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/uso-gift-card to donate to the USO;

or to donate to UNCF:
http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/american-air...uncf-gift-card

NOTE: Online gift cards are sent immediately but are subject to a 72-hour hold before they can be used.

American Airlines Gift Cards are easy to redeem on AA.com. If you received a plastic gift card and you're ready to redeem your gift card, be sure to gently scratch off the grey film covering the four-digit PIN # on the back of the card. If you received a virtual card you may retrieve your Card # and PIN # by clicking on the link sent to you via email.

On the payment screen, enter both the Card # and PIN # exactly as they appear on the back of the gift card. You may use up to eight gift cards at one time. If the total price of the ticket exceeds the value of your gift card(s), you may use a credit card for any remaining balance.

The gift cards can only be used to purchase tickets, nothing else.

Terms:
Gift cards are redeemable toward the initial electronic ticket purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines and American Eagle® carriers for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. AA Gift Cards are also available for payment of air travel on any oneworld® partner codeshare flights designated in flight listings as AA*, which includes US Airways operated flights. For a complete list of American Airlines codeshare partners as well as other codeshare information, visit www.aa.com/codeshare. They cannot be used for payment of air travel on any other airline. Flights sold or originating outside the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands or operated by other carriers are not eligible.

Gift cards are redeemable online at www.aa.com or by calling American Airlines Reservations. Gift cards cannot be redeemed at airport ticket counters or travel agents. Transactions through American Airlines Reservations are subject to an additional charge which must be paid separately by credit, debit or charge card.

Up to eight Gift Cards may be redeemed in a single transaction or purchase.

If the ticket price is greater than the value of the Gift Card(s), the difference may be paid only with a credit, debit or charge card with a billing address in the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands. If the ticket price is less than the value of the Gift Card(s), the unused portion will remain on the gift card until it is decreased to zero, at which time the Gift Card will be deactivated.

Gift cards are redeemable toward the purchase of the base air fare and directly associated taxes, fees and charges that are collected as part of the fare calculation. Gift cards may not be used for products and/or services that are sold separately, such as upgrades; Admirals Club membership enrollments or One-Day Passes; baggage fees; pet fees; unaccompanied minor fees; oxygen fees; Preferred Seats charges; ticketing fees for transactions processed through American Airlines Reservations; taxes, fees or charges payable in connection with AAdvantage® award travel; American Airlines Vacations℠ or non-flight products and/or services sold by American Airlines.

Gift cards will not be accepted if the card number is invalid, has not been activated, or cannot be found within the American Airlines system.

General
Neither American Airlines nor US Airways Gift Cards have an expiration date nor lose their value over time.

Lost, stolen or damaged Gift Cards will not be replaced.

Customers may contact American Airlines for questions or help with their AA Gift Cards at [email protected]. Agents are also available by phone Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm (Central Time) at 800-677-9555. Customers may contact US Airways for questions or help with their US Gift Cards by calling 800-428-4322.

Gift Cards purchased from sources other than American Airlines and participating retailers may not be valid or may have less redeemable value than promised by an unauthorized seller. American Airlines is not responsible for honoring invalid gift cards or values.
American Airlines reserves the right to deactivate or reject any Gift Cards issued or procured, directly or indirectly, in connection with fraudulent actions, unless prohibited by law.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/productsGifts/giftCard.jsp

Regarding New Jersey Residents Current and Former:

AA's system will not sell gift cards to anyone with New Jersey info in their AMEX profile (and possibly AA profile). Your purchase will usually appear to go through, but when you try to activate the card a few days later it will be invalid.

You need to either choose another airline for this reimbursement, or cleanse your AMEX profile of NJ addresses and phone numbers, and possibly your AA profile as well.

See post 1115 for first details of this.

Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE. REPORTS OF AMEX NOT ALLOWING CREDIT IF NOT SELECTED PRIOR.

Purchase cards HERE

The American Express terms and conditions explicitly exclude gift cards from the $200 fee reimbursement benefit:
Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees.
However, there are numerous reports of successful reimbursements of gift card purchases of $100 face value or less. There are numerous reports of unsuccessful reimbursements of gift cards purchases of more than $100.

Please wait a few days (up to 14) after purchase to post in this thread if you have not received reimbursement. Remember, you are purchasing a cash equivalent!

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2014, click HERE.

NOTE: Online gift cards are sent immediately but are subject to a 72-hour hold before they can be used.

American Airlines Gift Cards are easy to redeem on AA.com. If you received a plastic gift card and you're ready to redeem your gift card, be sure to gently scratch off the grey film covering the four-digit PIN # on the back of the card. If you received a virtual card you may retrieve your Card # and PIN # by clicking on the link sent to you via email.

On the payment screen, enter both the Card # and PIN # exactly as they appear on the back of the gift card. You may use up to eight gift cards at one time. If the total price of the ticket exceeds the value of your gift card(s), you may use a credit card for any remaining balance.

The gift cards can only be used to purchase tickets, nothing else.

Terms:
Gift cards are redeemable toward the initial electronic ticket purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines and American Eagle® carriers for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. AA Gift Cards are also available for payment of air travel on any oneworld® partner codeshare flights designated in flight listings as AA*, which includes US Airways operated flights. For a complete list of American Airlines codeshare partners as well as other codeshare information, visit www.aa.com/codeshare. They cannot be used for payment of air travel on any other airline. Flights sold or originating outside the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands or operated by other carriers are not eligible.

Gift cards are redeemable online at www.aa.com or by calling American Airlines Reservations. Gift cards cannot be redeemed at airport ticket counters or travel agents. Transactions through American Airlines Reservations are subject to an additional charge which must be paid separately by credit, debit or charge card.

Up to eight Gift Cards may be redeemed in a single transaction or purchase.

If the ticket price is greater than the value of the Gift Card(s), the difference may be paid only with a credit, debit or charge card with a billing address in the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands. If the ticket price is less than the value of the Gift Card(s), the unused portion will remain on the gift card until it is decreased to zero, at which time the Gift Card will be deactivated.

Gift cards are redeemable toward the purchase of the base air fare and directly associated taxes, fees and charges that are collected as part of the fare calculation. Gift cards may not be used for products and/or services that are sold separately, such as upgrades; Admirals Club membership enrollments or One-Day Passes; baggage fees; pet fees; unaccompanied minor fees; oxygen fees; Preferred Seats charges; ticketing fees for transactions processed through American Airlines Reservations; taxes, fees or charges payable in connection with AAdvantage® award travel; American Airlines Vacations℠ or non-flight products and/or services sold by American Airlines.

Gift cards will not be accepted if the card number is invalid, has not been activated, or cannot be found within the American Airlines system.

General
Neither American Airlines nor US Airways Gift Cards have an expiration date nor lose their value over time.

Lost, stolen or damaged Gift Cards will not be replaced.

Customers may contact American Airlines for questions or help with their AA Gift Cards at [email protected]. Agents are also available by phone Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm (Central Time) at 800-677-9555. Customers may contact US Airways for questions or help with their US Gift Cards by calling 800-428-4322.

Gift Cards purchased from sources other than American Airlines and participating retailers may not be valid or may have less redeemable value than promised by an unauthorized seller. American Airlines is not responsible for honoring invalid gift cards or values.
American Airlines reserves the right to deactivate or reject any Gift Cards issued or procured, directly or indirectly, in connection with fraudulent actions, unless prohibited by law.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/productsGifts/giftCard.jsp

Regarding New Jersey Residents Current and Former:

AA's system will not sell gift cards to anyone with New Jersey info in their AMEX profile (and possibly AA profile). Your purchase will usually appear to go through, but when you try to activate the card a few days later it will be invalid.

You need to either choose another airline for this reimbursement, or cleanse your AMEX profile of NJ addresses and phone numbers, and possibly your AA profile as well.

See what is currently post 519 for first details of this.

Post 1126 proves to be current, regarding NJ residents. YMMV, until there are more DP's.

Print Wikipost

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: AA only [2011-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2014, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dodododododo
Same question here, listed AS as the primary airline, which cannot be changed now. Can I get the post-lounge AA/US credit?
I am sure we will be able to get credit as it was outlined by amex (100, 200, 500 depending on offer) - the question is whether it will post automatically (which will make it usable on GC) or require some sort of manual request (which has a high probability of GC rejection).
Old Mar 27, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, etc
I spoke to AmEx support when I got the post-lounge e-mail and they confirmed I can have another airline selected and get the credit for AA incidentals. But I don't think there has been a confirmation yet from someone who exhausted the original $200 with another airline as primary and purchased and got reimbursed for the GCs post-lounge.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 2:09 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Yoksel
I spoke to AmEx support when I got the post-lounge e-mail and they confirmed I can have another airline selected and get the credit for AA incidentals. But I don't think there has been a confirmation yet from someone who exhausted the original $200 with another airline as primary and purchased and got reimbursed for the GCs post-lounge.
I had delta selected as the original airline and exhausted that. I just purchased the AA Gift cards and will report back when it posts
Old Mar 27, 2014, 9:36 pm

Programs: too many
Originally Posted by eajusa
I assumed buying a pass on eBay would be safe. The AA website states:

Present the printed One-Day Pass confirmation along with a valid government-issued ID to the attendant for access to the lounge
Purchaser does not need to be the visitor. You may purchase a One-Day Pass for someone other than yourself.

Am I missing something here? Is it not safe to buy a pass from eBay?
The serial number from the pass will suffice to get you into the lounge.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 6:10 am

Successful datapoint:

I had United as my original airline for this year, and exhausted the credit in January.

On Monday (3/24) I purchased 2 x $100 gift certificates on AA's website. The charges were listed as "AA MISC SALE"

Today (Friday 3/28) I received 2 x $100 credits, listed as "AMEX SPECIAL OFFER - CREDIT FOR AA/USAIR"

Last edited by ukinny2000; Mar 28, 2014 at 6:30 am
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:09 am

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Bought a 1 x $200 AA GC on 24th.
Just got reimbursed today. 28th.

EDIT: Shot down.

We are no longer adding the credit as we are offering new benefits your card. The credit was offered before these benefits were announced and I am glad to inform you that your card is eligible for the new benefits...

Last edited by f0xx; Mar 28, 2014 at 7:21 am
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:32 am

Data point: I used my 200 credit on AA already do this year. Was given 200 for AA lounge exit. On 3-24 I purchased 2 separate 500 mile stickers, was credited today 3-28.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:43 am

Figure there's enough data at this point, went for a $100 eGC using KOMEN. We'll see how long credit takes
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by f0xx
Can you elaborate? Did you get new communication from AmEx? Did they pull the credit they had posted to your account?
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Can you elaborate? Did you get new communication from AmEx? Did they pull the credit they had posted to your account?
I told them I was turned down from the lounge and that I was never notified of the change to lounge access.

So... I asked if there was some sort of credit. That's the response I got.
Boingo isn't worth the value of lack of lounge access. Especially since I fly exclusively AA/US.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:02 am

I told them I was turned down from the lounge and that I was never notified of the change to lounge access.

Boingo isn't worth the value of lack of lounge access. Especially since I fly exclusively AA/US.
Ok, so it sounds like you used your original $200 credit on the 24th for which you were correctly reimbursed. However, AmEx never offered you any post-lounge compensation and they refuse to give any now.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:53 am

Bought a 1 x $200 AA GC on 24th.
Just got reimbursed today. 28th.

Jeezus, @f0xx. You scared us! From your post it sounded like they confiscated your $200 AA/US credit! lol
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ukinny2000
Successful datapoint:

I had United as my original airline for this year, and exhausted the credit in January.

On Monday (3/24) I purchased 2 x $100 gift certificates on AA's website. The charges were listed as "AA MISC SALE"

Today (Friday 3/28) I received 2 x $100 credits, listed as "AMEX SPECIAL OFFER - CREDIT FOR AA/USAIR"
Thank you ^
Old Mar 28, 2014, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by ukinny2000
Successful datapoint:

Yes, thank you! Just bought mine. Lets hope for the same!
Old Mar 28, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by diggitydog
The serial number from the pass will suffice to get you into the lounge.
Thanks for the info diggitydog.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.