Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: AA only [2011-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2013, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE.

Please wait a few days (up to 14) after purchase to post in this thread if you have not received reimbursement. Remember, you are purchasing a cash equivalent!

When you purchase your Gift Cards, you may wish to do it through one of these links; a portion of the purchase price will be donated to the applicable charity:

http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/komen-gift-card

Or alternatively put in the code KOMEN when you check out

to donate $5/$50 GC to Susan G. Komen for the Cure;

http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/uso-gift-card to donate to the USO;

or to donate to UNCF:
http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/american-air...uncf-gift-card

NOTE: Online gift cards are sent immediately but are subject to a 72-hour hold before they can be used.

American Airlines Gift Cards are easy to redeem on AA.com. If you received a plastic gift card and you're ready to redeem your gift card, be sure to gently scratch off the grey film covering the four-digit PIN # on the back of the card. If you received a virtual card you may retrieve your Card # and PIN # by clicking on the link sent to you via email.

On the payment screen, enter both the Card # and PIN # exactly as they appear on the back of the gift card. You may use up to eight gift cards at one time. If the total price of the ticket exceeds the value of your gift card(s), you may use a credit card for any remaining balance.

The gift cards can only be used to purchase tickets, nothing else.

Terms:
Gift cards are redeemable toward the initial electronic ticket purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines and American Eagle® carriers for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. AA Gift Cards are also available for payment of air travel on any oneworld® partner codeshare flights designated in flight listings as AA*, which includes US Airways operated flights. For a complete list of American Airlines codeshare partners as well as other codeshare information, visit www.aa.com/codeshare. They cannot be used for payment of air travel on any other airline. Flights sold or originating outside the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands or operated by other carriers are not eligible.

Gift cards are redeemable online at www.aa.com or by calling American Airlines Reservations. Gift cards cannot be redeemed at airport ticket counters or travel agents. Transactions through American Airlines Reservations are subject to an additional charge which must be paid separately by credit, debit or charge card.

Up to eight Gift Cards may be redeemed in a single transaction or purchase.

If the ticket price is greater than the value of the Gift Card(s), the difference may be paid only with a credit, debit or charge card with a billing address in the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands. If the ticket price is less than the value of the Gift Card(s), the unused portion will remain on the gift card until it is decreased to zero, at which time the Gift Card will be deactivated.

Gift cards are redeemable toward the purchase of the base air fare and directly associated taxes, fees and charges that are collected as part of the fare calculation. Gift cards may not be used for products and/or services that are sold separately, such as upgrades; Admirals Club membership enrollments or One-Day Passes; baggage fees; pet fees; unaccompanied minor fees; oxygen fees; Preferred Seats charges; ticketing fees for transactions processed through American Airlines Reservations; taxes, fees or charges payable in connection with AAdvantage® award travel; American Airlines Vacations℠ or non-flight products and/or services sold by American Airlines.

Gift cards will not be accepted if the card number is invalid, has not been activated, or cannot be found within the American Airlines system.

General
Neither American Airlines nor US Airways Gift Cards have an expiration date nor lose their value over time.

Lost, stolen or damaged Gift Cards will not be replaced.

Customers may contact American Airlines for questions or help with their AA Gift Cards at [email protected]. Agents are also available by phone Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm (Central Time) at 800-677-9555. Customers may contact US Airways for questions or help with their US Gift Cards by calling 800-428-4322.

Gift Cards purchased from sources other than American Airlines and participating retailers may not be valid or may have less redeemable value than promised by an unauthorized seller. American Airlines is not responsible for honoring invalid gift cards or values.
American Airlines reserves the right to deactivate or reject any Gift Cards issued or procured, directly or indirectly, in connection with fraudulent actions, unless prohibited by law.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/productsGifts/giftCard.jsp

Regarding New Jersey Residents Current and Former:

AA's system will not sell gift cards to anyone with New Jersey info in their AMEX profile (and possibly AA profile). Your purchase will usually appear to go through, but when you try to activate the card a few days later it will be invalid.

You need to either choose another airline for this reimbursement, or cleanse your AMEX profile of NJ addresses and phone numbers, and possibly your AA profile as well.

See post 1115 for first details of this.

Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE. REPORTS OF AMEX NOT ALLOWING CREDIT IF NOT SELECTED PRIOR.

Purchase cards HERE

The American Express terms and conditions explicitly exclude gift cards from the $200 fee reimbursement benefit:
Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees.
However, there are numerous reports of successful reimbursements of gift card purchases of $100 face value or less. There are numerous reports of unsuccessful reimbursements of gift cards purchases of more than $100.

Please wait a few days (up to 14) after purchase to post in this thread if you have not received reimbursement. Remember, you are purchasing a cash equivalent!

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2014, click HERE.

NOTE: Online gift cards are sent immediately but are subject to a 72-hour hold before they can be used.

American Airlines Gift Cards are easy to redeem on AA.com. If you received a plastic gift card and you're ready to redeem your gift card, be sure to gently scratch off the grey film covering the four-digit PIN # on the back of the card. If you received a virtual card you may retrieve your Card # and PIN # by clicking on the link sent to you via email.

On the payment screen, enter both the Card # and PIN # exactly as they appear on the back of the gift card. You may use up to eight gift cards at one time. If the total price of the ticket exceeds the value of your gift card(s), you may use a credit card for any remaining balance.

The gift cards can only be used to purchase tickets, nothing else.

Terms:
Gift cards are redeemable toward the initial electronic ticket purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines and American Eagle® carriers for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. AA Gift Cards are also available for payment of air travel on any oneworld® partner codeshare flights designated in flight listings as AA*, which includes US Airways operated flights. For a complete list of American Airlines codeshare partners as well as other codeshare information, visit www.aa.com/codeshare. They cannot be used for payment of air travel on any other airline. Flights sold or originating outside the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands or operated by other carriers are not eligible.

Gift cards are redeemable online at www.aa.com or by calling American Airlines Reservations. Gift cards cannot be redeemed at airport ticket counters or travel agents. Transactions through American Airlines Reservations are subject to an additional charge which must be paid separately by credit, debit or charge card.

Up to eight Gift Cards may be redeemed in a single transaction or purchase.

If the ticket price is greater than the value of the Gift Card(s), the difference may be paid only with a credit, debit or charge card with a billing address in the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands. If the ticket price is less than the value of the Gift Card(s), the unused portion will remain on the gift card until it is decreased to zero, at which time the Gift Card will be deactivated.

Gift cards are redeemable toward the purchase of the base air fare and directly associated taxes, fees and charges that are collected as part of the fare calculation. Gift cards may not be used for products and/or services that are sold separately, such as upgrades; Admirals Club membership enrollments or One-Day Passes; baggage fees; pet fees; unaccompanied minor fees; oxygen fees; Preferred Seats charges; ticketing fees for transactions processed through American Airlines Reservations; taxes, fees or charges payable in connection with AAdvantage® award travel; American Airlines Vacations℠ or non-flight products and/or services sold by American Airlines.

Gift cards will not be accepted if the card number is invalid, has not been activated, or cannot be found within the American Airlines system.

General
Neither American Airlines nor US Airways Gift Cards have an expiration date nor lose their value over time.

Lost, stolen or damaged Gift Cards will not be replaced.

Customers may contact American Airlines for questions or help with their AA Gift Cards at [email protected]. Agents are also available by phone Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm (Central Time) at 800-677-9555. Customers may contact US Airways for questions or help with their US Gift Cards by calling 800-428-4322.

Gift Cards purchased from sources other than American Airlines and participating retailers may not be valid or may have less redeemable value than promised by an unauthorized seller. American Airlines is not responsible for honoring invalid gift cards or values.
American Airlines reserves the right to deactivate or reject any Gift Cards issued or procured, directly or indirectly, in connection with fraudulent actions, unless prohibited by law.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/productsGifts/giftCard.jsp

Regarding New Jersey Residents Current and Former:

AA's system will not sell gift cards to anyone with New Jersey info in their AMEX profile (and possibly AA profile). Your purchase will usually appear to go through, but when you try to activate the card a few days later it will be invalid.

You need to either choose another airline for this reimbursement, or cleanse your AMEX profile of NJ addresses and phone numbers, and possibly your AA profile as well.

See what is currently post 519 for first details of this.

Post 1126 proves to be current, regarding NJ residents. YMMV, until there are more DP's.

Print Wikipost

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: AA only [2011-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2012, 3:12 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I just called the number for AA's gift card provider to inquire and was given a bs explanation, that being that the e-mail address provided for the purchaser (myself) belonged to a "foreign corporation with no U.S. address", and thus the purchases were "blocked".

When I pointed out that this made no sense, given that the e-mail address domain of "ygm.com" is one that is offered through AOL mail (off topic... but for those who are wondering, it stands for "You've Got Mail"), they weren't able to provide any other details and simply suggested that I double check my credit card billing address and phone number before making any further purchases.

Also, even though all three gift cards have been invalidated, they have not yet credit my card account, but I was told it they should process the credit in about a week.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 1:30 pm

Eight days and still no reimbursement from AmEx for 4x$50 physical gift cards bought in one transaction.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by dw
I just called the number for AA's gift card provider to inquire and was given a bs explanation, that being that the e-mail address provided for the purchaser (myself) belonged to a "foreign corporation with no U.S. address", and thus the purchases were "blocked".

When I pointed out that this made no sense, given that the e-mail address domain of "ygm.com" is one that is offered through AOL mail (off topic... but for those who are wondering, it stands for "You've Got Mail"), they weren't able to provide any other details and simply suggested that I double check my credit card billing address and phone number before making any further purchases.

Also, even though all three gift cards have been invalidated, they have not yet credit my card account, but I was told it they should process the credit in about a week.
Wow, kinda glad now that I'm not eligible for AA GC purchases in NJ. Those 6 free sickers are looking better every day.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 3:52 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Ritz
Those 6 free stickers are looking better every day.
I don't think we have had a report of successful reimbursement of electronic upgrades recently .
Old Feb 21, 2012, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Ritz
Wow, kinda glad now that I'm not eligible for AA GC purchases in NJ. Those 6 free sickers are looking better every day.
It's not really a problem now. It's better than GCs in that you're getting $200 free credit on your Amex. Cash>giftcards. But more worrying is whether this is the first step toward AA gc reimbursement not happening on the Amex Platinum....
Old Feb 21, 2012, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I don't think we have had a report of successful reimbursement of electronic upgrades recently .
I can happily report that I got 2 stickers (2x$30) reimbursed for the last weeks in a row for a total of $180. I'll be doing the 7th one tomorrow in hopes of the remaining $20 of $30 being reimbursed as well.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:28 pm

Just a couple of quick questions

Appreciate confirmations for a couple of quick questions

1. AA e-giftcert (virtual gift certicate) can be used to purchase 'all' those partners (codeshare) airlines' price such as Alaska Air, oneworld partner, or even Continental/UsAirway as listed under Other Airline partner, as long as it is book-able on aa.com, correct?

2. One e-giftcert does 'not' have to be used in one purchase and the residue value stays until I apply it to the next purchase, right?

Thanks
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage
I'm going to roll the dice on some 500 mile upgrades. I will let you guys know how it goes.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:54 am

Can someone please explain me what is all this about? I m reading from the first page what dont understand how i can get benefited as yesterday I purchased $1500 of tickets directly from aa.com and planning to upgrade and spend $1000 more. Do I need to have a specific amex. Please Advise. I m new to all this
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:38 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by nash2
Do I need to have a specific amex.
Welcome to Flyertalk. You need a personal or Business Platinum card (annual fee $450). The $200 airline fee benefit is explained here:

http://exploreplatinum.americanexpre...ts:SeeBenefits

and discussed here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...e-posting.html
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Originally Posted by nash2
Can someone please explain me what is all this about? I m reading from the first page what dont understand how i can get benefited as yesterday I purchased $1500 of tickets directly from aa.com and planning to upgrade and spend $1000 more. Do I need to have a specific amex. Please Advise. I m new to all this
If you have a Platinum AMEX (Annual fee $450) and you register for an airline, AMEX will credit back up to $200 in future incidental expenses on that airline. Once you select one, and get a credit, you're on that airline for the rest of the year, then you can change.

Generally speaking, tickets aren't incidental expenses. Many have had good luck getting gift cards ~$50 (some higher) and have had this count as 'incidental' expenses. Some have even gotten very low priced tickets counted.

Examples of incidental expenses might include food/drink onboard, baggage and other add-on fees/costs at check in, so forth.

Outright buying miles doesn't count, as they are billed from points.com and not AA. I don't recall any reports of anyone trying to see if Mileage Multiplier is counted. EDIT: This is reported to work down thread, but like anything it is subject to change at any time and your actual results may vary

The Plat card has other beneifts. it gets you access to some lounges under certain conditions, and will credit the $100 GOES fee. With the $200 airline credit, these perks may pay back enough of the $450 annual fee to make it worth your while, or not.

Last edited by reft; Jan 7, 2013 at 11:06 am Reason: Add updated information about Mileage Multipler
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:52 pm

Thanks for explaining

Originally Posted by reft
If you have a Platinum AMEX (Annual fee $450) and you register for an airline, AMEX will credit back up to $200 in future incidental expenses on that airline.
Originally Posted by mia
Welcome to Flyertalk. You need a personal or Business Platinum card (annual fee $450). The $200 airline fee benefit is explained

Last edited by mia; Feb 23, 2012 at 1:11 pm Reason: Formatting
Old Feb 23, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium; Globalist
SusieLing - Just a couple of quick questions

In response to:

2. One e-giftcert does 'not' have to be used in one purchase and the residue value stays until I apply it to the next purchase, right?

Yes that is correct SusieLing. I just did this myself last week and used $42 of a $50 e-gift cert on one ticket on aa.com. Then I used the balance on another ticket in a separate transaction.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by RDUflyer2
In response to:

Yes that is correct SusieLing. I just did this myself last week and used $42 of a $50 e-gift cert on one ticket on aa.com. Then I used the balance on another ticket in a separate transaction.
Thanks for answering!!!

Now could someone help with the 1st question -- can use the e-gift cert to buy any flight (for example, operating by AS, CO, other oneworld member) bookable from aa.com?

Thanks
Old Feb 24, 2012, 4:58 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by susieling
Thanks for answering!!!

Now could someone help with the 1st question -- can use the e-gift cert to buy any flight (for example, operating by AS, CO, other oneworld member) bookable from aa.com?

Thanks
Yes and no, see below for full TC -

Gift Cards are redeemable toward the purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines, American Eagle® and AmericanConnection® carriers for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. Gift Cards may also be used for payment of air travel on any oneworld® partner or Codeshare flights designated in flight listings as AA*. They cannot be used for payment of air travel on any other airline. In addition if a credit card is used in conjunction with gift card(s), the credit card must have a United States, U.S. Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico billing address. Gift Cards may not be used for upgrades, Admirals Club memberships enrollments, Admirals Club One-Day passes, AAdvantage Award Travel or other non-flight products and/or services sold on AA.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.