FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   $200 airline fee reimbursement reports: UA only. [2010 - 2016] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1300452-200-airline-fee-reimbursement-reports-ua-only-2010-2016-a.html)

thebreezytraveler Nov 10, 2010 9:22 am

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: UA only. [2010 - 2016]

I am a pretty loyal Amex Plat user, but I'm thinking of making the switch since Continental will no longer be a part of the point transfer or lounge programs. I was wondering though that if I stayed, could we use the $200 credit towards yearly lounge membership? I read all the material and it keeps saying "daily". Is that on purpose?

sjeon89 Nov 10, 2010 9:28 am

Originally Posted by thebreezytraveler (Post 15112716)
... could we use the $200 credit towards yearly lounge membership?

According to the Amex Platinum/Centurion travel benefit website, it says that the $200 credit can apply to baggage fees, flight-change fees, in-flight food & beverages, and airport lounge day passes.

http://transformtravel.americanexpre...efits/Details/

So, I'm guessing it could be used, which is a great deal.^

tpmgpeds Feb 26, 2011 3:02 pm

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: UA/CO only.

Would it work on United to buy up a segment to E+, or to buy the Award Accelerator offers? i.e. all these "Travel Options" they seem to push?

akcae Mar 1, 2011 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by tpmgpeds (Post 15938081)
Would it work on United to buy up a segment to E+, or to buy the Award Accelerator offers? i.e. all these "Travel Options" they seem to push?

That's a good question. I guess it depends if it posts as a separate charge from the ticket. I don't know since I've always declined UA's sales pitches (seems like at least 5 per ticket transaction!). If it gets rolled into one ticket charge, the system would have no way to distinguish the upsell portion.

barney44 Mar 3, 2011 11:33 am

Recent United Experiences

I just flew cross country on United and upgraded to first for miles and cash. As the tickets were dirt cheap I used 15K miles each way and there was a 50.00 charge as well. Both $ 50.00 dollar charges were creditted back by AMEX within 24 hours of checkin (when the charges were incurred). Hope this helps with any decisions people may have.

RichardInSF Mar 3, 2011 9:59 pm

I upgraded for cash on UA on the day of flight. No $200 credit and the agent I called said that upgrades weren't eligible for reimbursement. I thought they were, and the above poster got it -- so how come I didn't?

mreed911 Mar 4, 2011 9:08 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 15972322)
I upgraded for cash on UA on the day of flight. No $200 credit and the agent I called said that upgrades weren't eligible for reimbursement. I thought they were, and the above poster got it -- so how come I didn't?

What did the posted terms and conditions of the $200 offer say at the time you made the purchase?

THAT's what you hold them to, not some anecdotal reference on a message board. The terms are binding on BOTH parties, and disclosure is required (even if only by reference) if they want to change the terms.

ordogg Mar 4, 2011 9:15 am

what about for a RCC membership?

TAHKUCT Mar 4, 2011 9:19 am

Originally Posted by ordogg (Post 15974373)
what about for a RCC membership?

I did get reimbursed for a PC spousal membership.

skn2n8 Mar 19, 2011 2:53 pm

I bought an award ticket with United and it costed me 25.40. This amount was refunded in 2 days.

caffeine addict Apr 9, 2011 10:36 pm

UA upgrade co-pay covered!

In the past month I did 2 Z -> NF mileage upgrades on UA that had copays of exactly $100 each.

Both times they were automatically reimbursed!

FYI, I checked-in online for one segment and at the airport counter for another to test both methods.

Flyer IAH Apr 13, 2011 10:42 am

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: UA/CO only.

Anybody tried geting reimbursed for Continental.com gift certificates?

romo2owens4six Apr 14, 2011 8:04 pm

I'm not sure if this was already discussed, but figured I'd post anyway. It looks like the $200 airline fee credit is good for the fee they charge to use points for a specific airline. I recently used 100k points for CO and was charged $75 fee and $5 taxes. The $75 fee was reimbursed a few days later. I chose CO when I enrolled for the yearly credit.

QSYH Apr 14, 2011 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by romo2owens4six (Post 16220975)
I'm not sure if this was already discussed, but figured I'd post anyway. It looks like the $200 airline fee credit is good for the fee they charge to use points for a specific airline. I recently used 100k points for CO and was charged $75 fee and $5 taxes. The $75 fee was reimbursed a few days later. I chose CO when I enrolled for the yearly credit.

Isn't that what the Platinum credit is normally for (along with other charges of course...)? Change fee's, baggage, airline fees, etc.

ordua Apr 14, 2011 8:12 pm

I bought miles from UA and got credit from Amex. Anyway to get more then $200? ;)