Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: UA only. [2010 - 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase (this includes MPX). Click HERE.

Caution: As of December 2016, it appears that American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Credits generally appear 3-4 days after making the transaction. No need to worry unless they don't appear after a week.

TravelBank
funds can only be used on United and United Express flights. Partner flights are not eligible.

Gift Registry and Gift Cards

The consensus is that United gift registry contributions will be reimbursed and gift card purchases will not. So
  1. Log into united.com
  2. Set up a gift registry for yourself
  3. Use the link in your gift registry web page to send an announcement to your email address. This better, faster, and more reliable than searching for your gift registry, especially if you have a common name. Even someone with an unusual surname like mre5765 has could not find his registry after creating it.
  4. Log out of united.com
  5. Follow the Make Contribution in your gift registry email
  6. Contribute using your Amex platinum card

There seems to be no downside to contributing in sub-200 dollar chunks since the gift registry creates a single pool of cash. However there are lots of reports of successful fee credits from a single $200 donation. Whether done as on $200 transaction or eight $25 transactions, the result is that one will have $200 in ones TravelBank.

PLEASE NOTE: When you establish a gift registry for the first time, it will take 24 hours before the funds in the registry are available to use toward payment of a flight.

Do I have to join the united.com Club ($25 annual fee) to use my TravelBank?

Apparently not.

Does spending TravelBank credit count towards PQD?

Yes-for revenue flights only
Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
MPX (MileagePlus X)
It appears that this is no longer working. See this post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27589581-post1496.html.
Economy Plus fees
There are recent reports of this working on a per ticket basis. No recent report of an Economy Plus annual subscription being reimbursed.
Print Wikipost

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: UA only. [2010 - 2016]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:55 am

Hi,
Thank you all for the comments. I have read back for a few months, but would appreciate it if someone can help so I can use the airline credit correctly. So far:

I show a gift registry in my UA acct from years ago, but don't see way to add funds when I'm there or managing registry. When I search, even though not common name (in NJ) it doesn't show any matches. I even added a goal to my previous balance of zero and checked box to view for family and friends. So i did send email to friends and sent to self. I got an email and can make a contribution from there. Is this correct?

Is this correct to do next and then once I can add funds to registry, do I do four $50 gifts?
Thanks!
Diana
Old Dec 20, 2014, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by de13
Hi,
So i did send email to friends and sent to self. I got an email and can make a contribution from there. Is this correct?

Is this correct to do next and then once I can add funds to registry, do I do four $50 gifts?
You should send yourself a gift registry request (I used an alternate email account) and then log out of all United accounts. Then click on the "Make Contribution" button in the email and it'll take you to a page with registry information on the top of the page and payment information on the bottom.

I was lazy and only did three payments but four payments of $50 should work.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:11 am

well I done ....ed up. I thought I finished enrolling UA as my airline, turns out I didn't until after I made my charges.

I promptly registered UA as my airline 4 minutes right after my purchase.... did i just screw the pooch with that one?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:37 am

Just to add to the reports.

$200 Gift registry purchased on the 17th and credited in full today. I did not break it up into smaller pieces. Will repeat in 10 days.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 11:50 am

I just bought a gift certificate to use the rest of my $200 before the year finishes, but I see everybody else is using the gift registry. Did I miss somewhere that we can no long get the credit with a simple gift certificate bought online?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by lewinr
I just bought a gift certificate to use the rest of my $200 before the year finishes, but I see everybody else is using the gift registry. Did I miss somewhere that we can no long get the credit with a simple gift certificate bought online?
I used mine for GC...and it worked...but did it in $50 increments
Old Dec 27, 2014, 6:42 am

Did 100$ on the UA registry on 20th dec. Received 86.51$ credit on 25th..... Does anyone know why the credit might be 14$ less?! Thanks
Old Dec 27, 2014, 8:26 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Fox007d
..... Does anyone know why the credit might be 14$ less?! Thanks
Welcome to FlyerTalk. Typically this indicates that other expenses were reimbursed earlier in 2014.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 11:38 am

Didn't get my 2nd credit for some reason, charged on the 14th of Dec
Do you guys think I should:

1. Wait it out
2. Give Amex a call
3. Do another $100 charge before the year is up?

Transactions look the same to me

Passenger Name: LASTNAME\GAD DEPOSIT
Document Type: SPECIAL SERVICE TICKET

DEC14 UNITED AIRLINES HOUSTON TX $100.00
DEC12* AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement -$100.00
DEC7 UNITED AIRLINES HOUSTON TX $100.00
Old Dec 28, 2014, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by enigmatic
Didn't get my 2nd credit for some reason, charged on the 14th of Dec
Do you guys think I should:

1. Wait it out
2. Give Amex a call
3. Do another $100 charge before the year is up?

Transactions look the same to me

Passenger Name: LASTNAME\GAD DEPOSIT

DEC14 UNITED AIRLINES HOUSTON TX $100.00
DEC12* AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement -$100.00
DEC7 UNITED AIRLINES HOUSTON TX $100.00
I'm curious as well. I waited until the last minute this year (yeah, yeah...) and obviously have not yet seen a reimbursement post.

Here's my transaction:

DEC26 UNITED AIRLINES HOUSTON TX $65.00
Passenger Name: LASTNAME \GAD DEPOSIT
Ticket Number: XXX60905328XXXXX

The fact that there's a ticket number, a last name, and the type says "ticket" are all concerning to me. Did I do something wrong?

EDIT: According to post 991, this exact same coding for the charge was in fact reimbursed. So that's super encouraging.

Last edited by skisteven1; Dec 28, 2014 at 2:32 pm Reason: updated
Old Dec 29, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, National EE
Two transactions to the gift registry, $130 and $70, on Dec 19. Both credited Dec 24.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by iherebyresign
Two transactions to the gift registry, $130 and $70, on Dec 19. Both credited Dec 24.
Can you post the specifics of the transactions? (ie. does it look exactly the same as the post above where it says "SPECIAL SERVICE TICKET"?)
Old Dec 29, 2014, 1:43 pm

I received my Amex credit today, within a week of purchasing, using 4 different transactions of $50 each into my UA gift registry. Thank you all for the info, I almost forgot this benefit was there since I barely flew UA this year.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 1:48 pm

I forgot about this until just now. Do you think I still have time to do this and get the credits for 2014?
Old Dec 29, 2014, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by TJtv
I forgot about this until just now. Do you think I still have time to do this and get the credits for 2014?
I'm completely inexperienced in this, but from what I've read in this thread, you should be OK.

Register with Amex FIRST. Then (they say it takes effect right away) proceed with buying stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.