Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: UA only. [2010 - 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase (this includes MPX). Click HERE.

Caution: As of December 2016, it appears that American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Credits generally appear 3-4 days after making the transaction. No need to worry unless they don't appear after a week.

TravelBank
funds can only be used on United and United Express flights. Partner flights are not eligible.

Gift Registry and Gift Cards

The consensus is that United gift registry contributions will be reimbursed and gift card purchases will not. So
  1. Log into united.com
  2. Set up a gift registry for yourself
  3. Use the link in your gift registry web page to send an announcement to your email address. This better, faster, and more reliable than searching for your gift registry, especially if you have a common name. Even someone with an unusual surname like mre5765 has could not find his registry after creating it.
  4. Log out of united.com
  5. Follow the Make Contribution in your gift registry email
  6. Contribute using your Amex platinum card

There seems to be no downside to contributing in sub-200 dollar chunks since the gift registry creates a single pool of cash. However there are lots of reports of successful fee credits from a single $200 donation. Whether done as on $200 transaction or eight $25 transactions, the result is that one will have $200 in ones TravelBank.

PLEASE NOTE: When you establish a gift registry for the first time, it will take 24 hours before the funds in the registry are available to use toward payment of a flight.

Do I have to join the united.com Club ($25 annual fee) to use my TravelBank?

Apparently not.

Does spending TravelBank credit count towards PQD?

Yes-for revenue flights only
Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
MPX (MileagePlus X)
It appears that this is no longer working. See this post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27589581-post1496.html.
Economy Plus fees
There are recent reports of this working on a per ticket basis. No recent report of an Economy Plus annual subscription being reimbursed.
Print Wikipost

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: UA only. [2010 - 2016]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by Kay_nyc
Crap! I just sent $25 to some random registry. Has anyone else been in the same situation?
Yes but I noticed it before submitting... what it looks like a couple used Google Ads to promote the link to their registry for the keywords matching "contribute united gift registry" or things of the sort. As a result - their link now organically ranks highly as the 2nd result on the SERP.

So - BE CAREFUL! ...even if you are searching for a short cut to the link - clicking their link will set you to contribute to their registry - not yours... AND what's worse - the way United has coded their site - the registry info is persistently put in your cookies - so even if you notice you are contributing to someone else's registry & manually go to your page - the contribution page will still point to this couple's registry - NOT YOURS!

This is super scummy... it's definitely one of those unethical tactics to earn miles/$ but to each their own...

If this happened to the way to fix it is by clearing your cookies FIRST before proceeding to look for your registry... and even so - double check that you are listed as a recipient before putting your CC anywhere.

I don't want to raise this issue with United out of fear of killing this loophole... but seriously - what a horrible way to trick people into giving money in the wrong person's name...

Last edited by gorgeoustresses; Oct 27, 2014 at 5:10 pm Reason: update
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:05 pm

Hey guys,

Has anyone recently gotten a reimbursement?

I tried 2 transactions - and they took about 3 days to post. This is how they are coded and I'm slightly concerned because they list a ticket number and a document type as Special service ticket.

Any need to be concerned?

Doing business as:
UNITED AIRLINES
DEPT HQJ-CM
600 JEFFERSON STREET
HOUSTON
TX
77002-7363
UNITED STATES
Additional Information: <...> WWW.UNITED.COM
UNITED AIRLINES
Reference: <...>
Category: Travel - Airline

Flight Details
Passenger Name: <name> \GAD DEPOSIT
Ticket Number: <#>
Document Type: SPECIAL SERVICE TICKET
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:06 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gorgeoustresses
I don't want to raise this issue with United out of fear of killing this loophole... but seriously ..
UA likely doesn't care about the loophole. American Express might, if they somehow don't already know.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Hi, I just got my Platinum card recently, and I choose UA as my prefer airlines. I have a question about the FFP which I can accrual miles to.

Now for the purpose of getting my $200 credit, I have register the MileagePlus account and the United Gift Registry, and it seems the Receipient now linked to my MileagePlus account. Is that mean if I contribute to the recipient, which is myself, every time I redeem this contribution, I have to accrual the miles to my MileagePlus account? I really hope it is not, I want to accrual the miles to another FFP, Asiana club of Asiana Airlines. Could anyone knows the answer for it? Thank you in advance.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:30 pm

Last year I was reimbursed for award ticket purchases. Not this year though, have made several award ticket bookings but wasn't reimbursed for any.

6/22: $98.10
6/26: $38.30
8/11: $88.40 -- none was reimbursed.

charged $52.60 on 10/22. So far no luck yet!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:31 pm

I have tried three times and got two reimbursements so far.
The first one was made on 10/1 and got reimbursement on 10/6.
The second one was mode on 10/8, but no reimbursement.
The third one was made on 10/17, got reimbursement on 10/18
All gift certificates are 25 dollars.
I guessed the second one was busted because my monthly statement is closed on 13.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by moonflyer_YOW
Hi, I just got my Platinum card recently, and I choose UA as my prefer airlines. I have a question about the FFP which I can accrual miles to.

Now for the purpose of getting my $200 credit, I have register the MileagePlus account and the United Gift Registry, and it seems the Receipient now linked to my MileagePlus account. Is that mean if I contribute to the recipient, which is myself, every time I redeem this contribution, I have to accrual the miles to my MileagePlus account? I really hope it is not, I want to accrual the miles to another FFP, Asiana club of Asiana Airlines. Could anyone knows the answer for it? Thank you in advance.
Your Registry is just a prepaid currency to book on United's website. In fact, you could probably even book flights on other airlines on UA's site using UA's registry currency.

But to answer your direct question, you can put another FFP on your United flight itinerary after you purchase with UA Registry.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:25 am

@ gorgeoustesses

I wouldn't be concerned.

10/20: Charge $200 through GR.
10/20: Posted (Amex online) under "pending transactions".
10/23: Posted (Amex online) with all same info as yours (ticket#, special service ticket, etc…).
10/29: Reimbursement of $200. TODAY! :-)

For me it took 9 days.
For some it took little less time, and for some little more.

I will do it again next January.

Last edited by Kilmer; Oct 29, 2014 at 9:45 am Reason: erased because already posted
Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by gorgeoustresses
Hey guys,

Has anyone recently gotten a reimbursement?

I tried 2 transactions - and they took about 3 days to post. This is how they are coded and I'm slightly concerned because they list a ticket number and a document type as Special service ticket.

Any need to be concerned?

Doing business as:
UNITED AIRLINES
DEPT HQJ-CM
600 JEFFERSON STREET
HOUSTON
TX
77002-7363
UNITED STATES
Additional Information: <...> WWW.UNITED.COM
UNITED AIRLINES
Reference: <...>
Category: Travel - Airline

Flight Details
Passenger Name: <name> \GAD DEPOSIT
Ticket Number: <#>
Document Type: SPECIAL SERVICE TICKET

I wouldn't be concerned.

10/20: Charge $200 through GR.
10/20: Posted (Amex online) under "pending transactions".
10/23: Posted (Amex online) with all same info as yours (ticket#, special service ticket, etc…).
10/29: Reimbursement of $200. TODAY! :-)

For me it took 9 days.

Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Kilmer
I wouldn't be concerned.

For me it took 9 days.

Thanks, Kilmer! I appreciate the encouragement & sharing your experience/timeline... my statement posted 2 days ago...so hopefully the reimbursement is coming in shortly...
Old Nov 1, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
The wiki on this seems to be empty (compared to others, like DL that is helpful).

I've scrolled back 5 pages to get an answer to this.. but do I need to select the UA.com Registry, or the MP Registry? What's the actual process..
- Set up a 'registry'
- Self load it ?
Old Nov 1, 2014, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by hungarianhc
I suppose this is old news, but here's an update. I did a 'test' purchase of $25 to my United gift registry on 10/16. It got reimbursed yesterday, 10/24. 8 Days.

Today I put in a charge for $175 to "top off" my registry for the year. I'll post an update when that one gets reimbursed.

Two questions...
  1. Does United gift registry money ever expire?
  2. Do we still earn membership rewards points for our airline fees that get reimbursed?

Thanks!
From Registry FAQ:

Registries will expire after 24 months of inactivity. After that time, the remaining amount will be issued in the form of an electronic travel certificate. The travel certificate is valid for one year from the date when it is originally issued to the account owner.

So basically you have 36 months to spend it.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Songer5
Your Registry is just a prepaid currency to book on United's website. In fact, you could probably even book flights on other airlines on UA's site using UA's registry currency.

But to answer your direct question, you can put another FFP on your United flight itinerary after you purchase with UA Registry.
Thank you, you are so knowledgeable. I have contributed 3 * $50, and 2 * $25 to my own recipient account at Oct 29, so far (Nov 5) no reimbursement yet.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 10:10 pm
She

10/23 Charge posted
11/3 Fee reimbursement posted

Took 11 calendar days / 7 business days
Old Nov 11, 2014, 11:47 am

10/29 purchase completed
11/0 Fee reimbursement posted

Thank you everyone! : )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.