Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: UA only. [2010 - 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase (this includes MPX). Click HERE.

Caution: As of December 2016, it appears that American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Credits generally appear 3-4 days after making the transaction. No need to worry unless they don't appear after a week.

TravelBank
funds can only be used on United and United Express flights. Partner flights are not eligible.

Gift Registry and Gift Cards

The consensus is that United gift registry contributions will be reimbursed and gift card purchases will not. So
  1. Log into united.com
  2. Set up a gift registry for yourself
  3. Use the link in your gift registry web page to send an announcement to your email address. This better, faster, and more reliable than searching for your gift registry, especially if you have a common name. Even someone with an unusual surname like mre5765 has could not find his registry after creating it.
  4. Log out of united.com
  5. Follow the Make Contribution in your gift registry email
  6. Contribute using your Amex platinum card

There seems to be no downside to contributing in sub-200 dollar chunks since the gift registry creates a single pool of cash. However there are lots of reports of successful fee credits from a single $200 donation. Whether done as on $200 transaction or eight $25 transactions, the result is that one will have $200 in ones TravelBank.

PLEASE NOTE: When you establish a gift registry for the first time, it will take 24 hours before the funds in the registry are available to use toward payment of a flight.

Do I have to join the united.com Club ($25 annual fee) to use my TravelBank?

Apparently not.

Does spending TravelBank credit count towards PQD?

Yes-for revenue flights only
Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
MPX (MileagePlus X)
It appears that this is no longer working. See this post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27589581-post1496.html.
Economy Plus fees
There are recent reports of this working on a per ticket basis. No recent report of an Economy Plus annual subscription being reimbursed.
Print Wikipost

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: UA only. [2010 - 2016]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:32 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
I dont know if this ever was discussed...but was in EWR last month and went to the UA Lounge before the flight. Had 2 glasses of premium wine (actually quite high end Red wines by the glass...impressed...but i digress) and spent $36. Put on the Amex. Was hoping when it posted it would post as UNITED...instead posted as UAL CLUB EWR.

DO you think its worth me calling Amex to see if the can reimburse?
Old Apr 6, 2014, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by elg26
I dont know if this ever was discussed...but was in EWR last month and went to the UA Lounge before the flight. Had 2 glasses of premium wine (actually quite high end Red wines by the glass...impressed...but i digress) and spent $36. Put on the Amex. Was hoping when it posted it would post as UNITED...instead posted as UAL CLUB EWR.

DO you think its worth me calling Amex to see if the can reimburse?
I've done that before: I SM'd them and they were happy to credit me the charges, but as you know it's not part of the T&Cs so ymmv.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 4:14 pm

Went the gift registry route for $200 a couple weeks ago and was reimbursed three days later. One other point to note was that it took about 24 hours for the $200 to be "Available" to use for a purchase. I had hoped to immediately book a trip, but had to wait about a day for the funds to be available (I didn't closely monitor the timing, so it could have been less than 24 hours).
Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by SuperKirby
I've done that before: I SM'd them and they were happy to credit me the charges, but as you know it's not part of the T&Cs so ymmv.
Thanks....contacted them and with a quick explanation they credited my charge.....
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: MM / UA 1K
When purchasing a GR, how is it showing up when it posts to your account?

My $200 GR purchase has just posted and it seems to have posted as if an actual ticket was purchased. For example, the description includes a 016 ticket number and has a destination listed as well (Reggio Calabria !?). This has me concerned that it will not be reimbursed. So I ask - what did your GR purchase post as?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:06 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by konoyaro
When purchasing a GR, how is it showing up when it posts to your account?

My $200 GR purchase has just posted and it seems to have posted as if an actual ticket was purchased. For example, the description includes a 016 ticket number and has a destination listed as well (Reggio Calabria !?). This has me concerned that it will not be reimbursed. So I ask - what did your GR purchase post as?
Don't worry about it. My GR purchase posted to my account on Monday and today I got the $200 credit.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 3:54 pm

How long until GR funds available to spend?

I'm a new Plat AX card holder, and I don't know my travel plans for 2014 or thus how I'll use my $200 AX reimbursement. So I intend to wait until I have a paid ticket I need to buy or an award ticket or other UA fees to decide how much money to put in a GR and how much I'll use for regular incidental expenses reimbursed by AX. Once I put funds in my GR, is there a time period lag until I can access those funds to buy a ticket? Thank you.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:53 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sharonsimon
I'm a new Plat AX card holder, and I don't know my travel plans for 2014 or thus how I'll use my $200 AX reimbursement. So I intend to wait until I have a paid ticket I need to buy or an award ticket or other UA fees to decide how much money to put in a GR and how much I'll use for regular incidental expenses reimbursed by AX. Once I put funds in my GR, is there a time period lag until I can access those funds to buy a ticket? Thank you.
IIRC, it took about 24 hours from purchase to being eligible for use, but YMMV.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 2:15 pm

Reward ticket cancellation

Will the $200 award ticket cancellation fee be applied to airline fee reimbursement? I believe it will -- but anyone had actual experience? Thanks.
Old May 10, 2014, 11:40 am

How long did it take for you to be able to use the $200 if you go the Gift Registry route? I got the email confirmation that funds were contributed, but when I select book a flight using funds, it doesn't seem to subtract the $200
Old May 21, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by fayewolf
How long did it take for you to be able to use the $200 if you go the Gift Registry route? I got the email confirmation that funds were contributed, but when I select book a flight using funds, it doesn't seem to subtract the $200
It usually takes a day (or the next day)
Old May 21, 2014, 9:43 pm

will

1) Points transfer fee

2) Points purchase fee

3) Award change fee

qualify for reimbursement. I tried reading prior posts but I didn't see a clear answer. thanks a lot.
Old May 26, 2014, 6:16 am

Programs: 2015 kettle
I had my $200 UA gift registry credited 4 days after the charge posted. Worked without a problem.
Old May 26, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Was it $200 in one transaction? Or x transactions of $y?
Old May 27, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: 2015 kettle
$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: UA only.

One transaction only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.