Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: UA only. [2010 - 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase (this includes MPX). Click HERE.

Caution: As of December 2016, it appears that American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Credits generally appear 3-4 days after making the transaction. No need to worry unless they don't appear after a week.

TravelBank
funds can only be used on United and United Express flights. Partner flights are not eligible.

Gift Registry and Gift Cards

The consensus is that United gift registry contributions will be reimbursed and gift card purchases will not. So
  1. Log into united.com
  2. Set up a gift registry for yourself
  3. Use the link in your gift registry web page to send an announcement to your email address. This better, faster, and more reliable than searching for your gift registry, especially if you have a common name. Even someone with an unusual surname like mre5765 has could not find his registry after creating it.
  4. Log out of united.com
  5. Follow the Make Contribution in your gift registry email
  6. Contribute using your Amex platinum card

There seems to be no downside to contributing in sub-200 dollar chunks since the gift registry creates a single pool of cash. However there are lots of reports of successful fee credits from a single $200 donation. Whether done as on $200 transaction or eight $25 transactions, the result is that one will have $200 in ones TravelBank.

PLEASE NOTE: When you establish a gift registry for the first time, it will take 24 hours before the funds in the registry are available to use toward payment of a flight.

Do I have to join the united.com Club ($25 annual fee) to use my TravelBank?

Apparently not.

Does spending TravelBank credit count towards PQD?

Yes-for revenue flights only
Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
MPX (MileagePlus X)
It appears that this is no longer working. See this post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27589581-post1496.html.
Economy Plus fees
There are recent reports of this working on a per ticket basis. No recent report of an Economy Plus annual subscription being reimbursed.
Print Wikipost

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: UA only. [2010 - 2016]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2014, 4:46 pm

I'd purchased one $200 GC on 1/1. No reimbursement to date. I called customer service for a refund and without a confirmation # they aren't able to refund so they referred me to their feedback website. I asked for a refund. The site responded saying they are responding in 14 to 21 days.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Youponder
Update, UA did come through with the refund on the $200 GC.

However, I have not yet received the Amex credit for the $200 GR. It was posted on Jan 2nd.

Interesting, the GC purchase posted as if it was an actual travel reservation with a full ticket number. The GR purchase just says 'travel - airline'
Hi I called them today and selected the refunds option. without a confirmation# he didn't seem able to refund me .He kept asking and there is none on the GC. So he referred me to their feedback form which says they'll response in 14-21 days.

Which option did you select to get this done and what info did they ask for? Just wondering how it went down in case i can call back and get someone else.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 6:20 am

Programs: DL Gold
$200 GR. Posted 1/4. Reimbursed 1/7.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Purchased GR on 1/6 and it's still not showing up on United.com. I'm dreading having to call to deal with it since the "receipt" they e-mailed me doesn't have any information (like an order number) that can be used to look it up. I guess I'll give it one more day.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 7:36 am

$200GR, bought 1/4, reimbursed today.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: UA Global Services, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Hey guys, I've been scanning this thread and it seems the UA GC loophole is closed. The Gift Registry is the only option that seems to be reported as still working ... the problem is I can't find the gift registry!

when I search on google, here is what comes up: www.cardavenue.com/american-express.html‎

can someone please point me to this GR that everyone is speaking about?

Before you jump down my throat for not reading the thread, I honestly have spent atleast 20-30 minutes and can't seem to find it!
Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by nabster
Hey guys, I've been scanning this thread and it seems the UA GC loophole is closed. The Gift Registry is the only option that seems to be reported as still working ... the problem is I can't find the gift registry!

Here you go: United Gift Registry

Also, would AMEX take any action if we are reimbursed for the $200 for 2014 and then cancel the card a week or so after?
Old Jan 8, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by LLJFK88
Here you go: United Gift Registry

Also, would AMEX take any action if we are reimbursed for the $200 for 2014 and then cancel the card a week or so after?
Doubtful. I in fact cancelled my card the same day my UA GR reimbursement posted. The next day the annual fee was removed. Just be sure to transfer out your Amex MR points before you cancel, because those will be lost unless you have another MR Amex card (Gold, Green, etc).
Old Jan 8, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: UA Global Services, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Songer5
Doubtful. I in fact cancelled my card the same day my UA GR reimbursement posted. The next day the annual fee was removed. Just be sure to transfer out your Amex MR points before you cancel, because those will be lost unless you have another MR Amex card (Gold, Green, etc).
Timing the cancellation with a MR point special with the batch/arrears posting of newly earned MR points is a vicious cycle that has prevented me from canceling numerous times!
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:52 am

$200 GR. Transaction date 1/4. Reimbursed today (1/7 transaction date).
Old Jan 8, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: I like them all
Originally Posted by wazupchris
1/4 $200 GR purchased. Will let you know.
1/4 - $200 GR purchased
1/7 - $200 reimbursed
Old Jan 8, 2014, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1mm), Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
Also did the gift registry this weekend. Posted on Amex as 1/5. As of today still no credit, will post back tomorrow if it appears.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 7:09 am

Programs: UA Silver
3 $50 GC purchased 1/5 and reimbursed 1/8.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: Far too many
$165 GC purchased in Dec. No statement credit.

Pointed out that Amex had reimbursed for an earlier, similar transaction--a $35 GC purchase.

Rep said he'd issue credit.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1mm), Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by johnathome
Also did the gift registry this weekend. Posted on Amex as 1/5. As of today still no credit, will post back tomorrow if it appears.
Credit posted today 1/9 so still works

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.