Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: UA only. [2010 - 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase (this includes MPX). Click HERE.

Caution: As of December 2016, it appears that American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Credits generally appear 3-4 days after making the transaction. No need to worry unless they don't appear after a week.

TravelBank
funds can only be used on United and United Express flights. Partner flights are not eligible.

Gift Registry and Gift Cards

The consensus is that United gift registry contributions will be reimbursed and gift card purchases will not. So
  1. Log into united.com
  2. Set up a gift registry for yourself
  3. Use the link in your gift registry web page to send an announcement to your email address. This better, faster, and more reliable than searching for your gift registry, especially if you have a common name. Even someone with an unusual surname like mre5765 has could not find his registry after creating it.
  4. Log out of united.com
  5. Follow the Make Contribution in your gift registry email
  6. Contribute using your Amex platinum card

There seems to be no downside to contributing in sub-200 dollar chunks since the gift registry creates a single pool of cash. However there are lots of reports of successful fee credits from a single $200 donation. Whether done as on $200 transaction or eight $25 transactions, the result is that one will have $200 in ones TravelBank.

PLEASE NOTE: When you establish a gift registry for the first time, it will take 24 hours before the funds in the registry are available to use toward payment of a flight.

Do I have to join the united.com Club ($25 annual fee) to use my TravelBank?

Apparently not.

Does spending TravelBank credit count towards PQD?

Yes-for revenue flights only
Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
MPX (MileagePlus X)
It appears that this is no longer working. See this post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27589581-post1496.html.
Economy Plus fees
There are recent reports of this working on a per ticket basis. No recent report of an Economy Plus annual subscription being reimbursed.
Print Wikipost

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: UA only. [2010 - 2016]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2011, 1:30 am

I spent $150 booking award tickets on United over 2 weeks ago and the charges still haven't posted.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 11:28 am

Does the $200 Platinum Credit apply to food on flights?

My husband recently got a Platinum Card. I'll be traveling on Continental and will use his card. Will he get reimbursed for food or drinks I purchase on the flights?
Old Sep 30, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG PLT, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Yes, as long as one of you have designated Continental as your airline of choice with which to use the $200 credit.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 6:41 am

Programs: AMEX PL, Avis First, AA GLD
I just got my AMEX PLT and selected United as my airline. Since I just got my card, will my reset day be 12/31/11 or 12/31/12?
Old Oct 7, 2011, 12:59 pm

I noticed Continental says the gift certificates can't be used on codeshare flights. Then, if I remember correctly, United gift certificates say only one can be used per purchase. Does AA have any drawbacks? I have my $200 to spend and it seems like AA GC is my only option to use the $200 by 12/31. I would prefer US Air but not when they charge $15 for shipping. Using AA means I will have to connect somewhere. Any suggestions?
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by swat16
I noticed Continental says the gift certificates can't be used on codeshare flights. Then, if I remember correctly, United gift certificates say only one can be used per purchase. Does AA have any drawbacks? I have my $200 to spend and it seems like AA GC is my only option to use the $200 by 12/31. I would prefer US Air but not when they charge $15 for shipping. Using AA means I will have to connect somewhere. Any suggestions?
I've used my 4 AA GCs, and I see no downside. You can use up to 8 gift certificates on each purchase, so it gets all used up with one ticket.

There might be restrictions on which flights, i.e., must be AA-operated, but I'm not sure. I didn't read the fine print because I fly AA enough that it's going to be usable anyway.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 6:57 pm
evq

Programs: EVA Air Diamond, Fairmont Premier
LAME. I bought a $100 GC on Continental website... did not get credited back....

cancelling this stupid plat card and using my PR Gold from now on
Old Oct 17, 2011, 7:08 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by evq
LAME. I bought a $100 GC on Continental website... did not get credited back....

cancelling this stupid plat card and using my PR Gold from now on
Sucks it didn't work out, but thanks for the good data point. I purchased two, $75 Continental GCs and one, $50 GC; they all got reimbursed.

My plan for 2012 is to buy those same denomination GCs and then cancel the Plat card. I'm going to take the plunge on the CO PP card.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 7:08 pm
evq

Programs: EVA Air Diamond, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by Jake Gittes
Sucks it didn't work out, but thanks for the good data point. I purchased two, $75 Continental GCs and one, $50 GC; they both got reimbursed.

My plan for 2012 is to buy those same denomination GCs and then cancel the Plat card. I'm going to take the plunge on the CO PP card.
How many days did it take to get reimbursed?
Old Oct 17, 2011, 9:11 pm

Programs: AMEX PL, Avis First, AA GLD
Purchased a 1-day pass for the United Club and some drinks on my flight back from SFO-DEN on UA, got credited in about 5 days.

Has anyone tried to book a hotel via an airlines site and get a credit back on their PLT card?
Old Oct 17, 2011, 9:55 pm

Has anyone bought miles from United and had them reimbursed? I am at a loss about how to get my remaining $180 of airline credit on UA.

Thanks!
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does AMEX count UA and CO as the same airline for this purpose? IIRC the selection line said United/Continental. I had some charges reimbursed on UA so I wonder if buying CO GC would work to use up the remaining balance.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 9:27 am

Programs: All Around Nobody
Originally Posted by azepine00
Does AMEX count UA and CO as the same airline for this purpose? IIRC the selection line said United/Continental. I had some charges reimbursed on UA so I wonder if buying CO GC would work to use up the remaining balance.
Yes, I believe this was mentioned earlier in the thread, they will credit you for both UA and CO purchases.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 6:07 am

Another Continental data point. Bought a $100 Continental gift card 12 days ago. Have yet to be reimbursed. For those who have been, how long did it take?
Old Oct 26, 2011, 6:45 pm

Continental's policy states you can only use one gift certificate per ticket. Would it be pushing my luck it to buy a $100 certificate or should I play it safe and buy two $50 certificates? Also, they are not interchangeable with United. Does anyone know if that will change after Jan. 1?

One more -- Can you use gift certificates to pay luggage fees?

Last edited by mia; Oct 26, 2011 at 8:10 pm Reason: Combine two consecutive questions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.