Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Old Sep 23, 2007, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AA CK, DL PLT, HH DIA, MARRIOTT PLT, FAIRMONT LT PLT, HYATT DIA, SIXT PLT, AVIS PC
Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Just received a letter from Amerprise explaining that they are discontinuing there relationship with American Express and as of 2009 they will be charging for the AMEX platinum card. Is there any other companies that issue fee free platinum cards?
Old Sep 24, 2007, 5:30 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold, Delta Silver, Hyatt Diamond
Ameriprise will be issuing a card which they state will have similar benefits. These benefits are "in negotiation."
Old Sep 24, 2007, 12:45 pm

Wirelessly posted (Treo 700p Sprint: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

Originally Posted by jsocpa
Ameriprise will be issuing a card which they state will have similar benefits. These benefits are "in negotiation."
Do you know if it is going to be Amex, Visa or Mastercard and when is the anticipated launch date?
Old Sep 24, 2007, 1:41 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold, Delta Silver, Hyatt Diamond
The representative I spoke to at a conference said it wasn't decided yet, but he did not think it would be an AMEX. The information Ameriprise just sent states early 2008
Old Sep 24, 2007, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Not surprising... would expect something similar to happen to the free Plat/Cent cards offered by AmEx Private Bank as well once the sale to Standard Chartered is finalized.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 5:28 am

Nice while it lasted, getting 4 plat cards fee free was a great perk.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Titanium
That bites! I had just hit the level in my Ameriprise account to qualify, and with the addition of AA lounge access, I was salivating! Darn the bad luck!
Old Feb 28, 2008, 5:17 am

I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about the card Ameriprise will be issuing to replace the Plat. AMEX. I have not been able to find any information on it as of yet.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by jsocpa
I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about the card Ameriprise will be issuing to replace the Plat. AMEX. I have not been able to find any information on it as of yet.
Go www.ameriprise.com and go to banking products.

The launched the World Elite and World MasterCard. They still offer Amex Platinum and Gold Cards with the first year's annual fee waived. I believe with qualifying spending or balances some of the fees can be discounted or waived, but not 100% sure.
Old May 4, 2009, 9:09 pm

Programs: OP, SPG, Amex MR
Ameriprise Amex Plat Card

So, Ameriprise is offering 1st year fee waived on Amex Plat card, provided you are a client and maintain certain balances. If one applies w/o being an Ameriprise client, how soon do they cancel it, or do they cancel it?
Old May 6, 2009, 9:47 am

Do you have a link to the offer? What amount do you have to have with Ameriprise in order to qualify? Thanks.
Old May 6, 2009, 12:12 pm

Here it is:

http://banking-credit.ameriprise.com...press-card.asp

I am not sure what the requirements are for the fee waiver. I applied for one and they approved me and I have the card. But I am curious as to what will happen. The disclaimer says that Amex "may" downgrade you if you don't meet the waivers. The exact text "Your ability to have this Card product is contingent on a relationship between you and Ameriprise Financial, Inc. If no relationship exists, or if your relationship with Ameriprise Financial ends, American Express has the right to cancel your Card account or transfer your account to another American Express Card product that will have different features and benefits." I am hopeful that they will let me keep it (w/o fee, of course) until I close it at the 11 month mark
Old May 10, 2009, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by smcgrath12
Here it is:

I am not sure what the requirements are for the fee waiver. I applied for one and they approved me and I have the card. But I am curious as to what will happen. The disclaimer says that Amex "may" downgrade you if you don't meet the waivers. The exact text "Your ability to have this Card product is contingent on a relationship between you and Ameriprise Financial, Inc. If no relationship exists, or if your relationship with Ameriprise Financial ends, American Express has the right to cancel your Card account or transfer your account to another American Express Card product that will have different features and benefits." I am hopeful that they will let me keep it (w/o fee, of course) until I close it at the 11 month mark
Out of curiosity does your Ameriprise Amex card have the Ameriprise logo on the card?
Old May 10, 2009, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by SteveT
Out of curiosity does your Ameriprise Amex card have the Ameriprise logo on the card?
Sure does. Says "Ameriprise Financial" on the back of the card. I have a couple of Continental trips coming up and intend to use it for PC and I am hoping they don't "catch" me before that

Last edited by smcgrath12; May 10, 2009 at 7:54 pm
Old Sep 1, 2009, 8:40 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The link on the Ameriprise website...

...mentions that the Platinum charge card is intended for Achiever Circle Elite clients, while the Gold charge card is intended for Achiever Circle clients. In addition to a first year fee waiver these cards offer 25% bonus Membership Rewards points at specified spend theshholds. (Platinum 5,000 points per $20,000 spend; Gold 2,500 points per $10,000 spend, both capped on a calendar year basis.) This would make Membership Rewards competitive with Starwood Preferred Guest.

Does anyone know the requirements for Achiever Circle or Elite status with Ameriprise? I cannot find anything on the website.

Last edited by mia; Sep 1, 2009 at 8:47 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.