Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Old Apr 11, 2012, 2:30 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by travel light
...Nobody at Ameriprise and few at Amex had ever heard of the card.
Interesting comment on corporate memory. Ameriprise was once part of American Express, spun off in 2005. (I merged the original 2007 discussions of this card into the thread for context.)
Old Apr 11, 2012, 4:15 pm

The Ameriprise Plat Amex application page is a dead page. I tried to apply for this card several times a while ago and got nowhere. I spoke to Ameriprise and they referred me to Amex. Spoke to Amex and they referred me to Ameriprise. Escalated and no one knew anything.

Gave up. I think they quit offering this product (at least via web) and forgot to take the page down.

jb
Old Apr 12, 2012, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by jbarm
The Ameriprise Plat Amex application page is a dead page. I tried to apply for this card several times a while ago and got nowhere. I spoke to Ameriprise and they referred me to Amex. Spoke to Amex and they referred me to Ameriprise. Escalated and no one knew anything.

Gave up. I think they quit offering this product (at least via web) and forgot to take the page down.

jb
I sort of garnered that one must now apply directly with an Ameriprise representative, as I tried the on-line application process a couple of times, as well, with no luck.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL GM, HHonors Gold, Bonvoy Gold
[HELP] Does the Ameriprise AMEX Plat (1st year waived) work?

Hey, I was wondering if this worked:

https://www.ameriprise.com/cash-card...an-express.asp

I know it's contingent on having a relationship with Ameriprise (which I don't) but some people reported success....

has anybody tried this???
Old Jan 25, 2013, 4:17 pm

Would it shock you to know that this product has been discussed in . . . of all places . . . wait for it . . . the Amex forum?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...meriprise.html
Old Jan 25, 2013, 4:47 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Moderator action

ComputerAge's question has been transferred to the American Express forum and appended to the thread identified by UpgradeMe.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 5:51 am

Whatever happened to the Ameriprise Platinum AmEx with the first year fee waiver? I vaguely recall that Ameriprise cracked down on non-Ameriprise clients applying for the card. I'm ready to apply for the Platinum AmEx, but have not been targeted for any promotions, other than the standard 25K points. It just gripes me that I've been with AmEx for two decades and will likely accept the same 25K offered to those without AmEx relationships.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 6:11 am
mia

Moderator action

Moved TTT103's question about Ameriprise from the Mercedes thread. The cards are still listed here:

https://www.ameriprise.com/cash-card...t.asp?link=nav
Old Jun 6, 2013, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by mia
Moved TTT103's question about Ameriprise from the Mercedes thread. The cards are still listed here:

https://www.ameriprise.com/cash-card...t.asp?link=nav
Sorry about that.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 6:33 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
Applied for the card and accepted. Should arrive in the next few days. Will review later whether my annual fee was waived.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 8:23 am

MUST BE AN AMERIPRISE CLIENT

A special offer for Ameriprise Financial clients:

$0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $450.
5,000 additional Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible spending, up to 30,000 additional Membership Rewards points annually.

As an Ameriprise client, 5,000 additional points will be awarded to your Membership Rewards program account for every $20,000 in Eligible Purchases on the Card. A maximum of 30,000 additional points can be earned in each calendar year. Eligible Purchases are purchases for goods and services minus returns and other credits.

https://www.ameriprise.com/cash-card...an-express.asp
Old Oct 31, 2013, 9:58 am
mia

Originally Posted by Leonard Wong
A special offer for Ameriprise Financial clients:
This appears to be the standard deal. They waive the first year's annual fee in lieu of bonus points.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Amex Platinum 1 Year No Annual Fee

I saw this on slickdeals and figured it may benefit some folks here (who don't fly AA )
https://www262.americanexpress.com/a...canexpress.com
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:13 pm

no open bonus???
Old Feb 27, 2014, 2:22 am

Programs: AA plat, SPG gold
Amex Platinum 1 Year No Annual Fee

Typical offer for cards offered through other financial institutions

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.