Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Old Feb 27, 2014, 11:23 am

Is this a different card than the standard one? I'm wondering if I could sign up for this one to keep my points from my current one and then cancel my platinum because the fee was just charged. Also, anyone try this offer and have issues with not being an Ameriprise user?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
this could be a decent deal for some
no fee

+$200 airline fee
+$100 global entry (or +$400 - $175 with 3 additional users)
+priority pass/centurion/delta
+spg gold/FHR/less useful bennies
Old Feb 27, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by wildman013
anyone try this offer and have issues with not being an Ameriprise user?
No issue, there will be an Ameriprise logo on the back.

Originally Posted by exmike
this could be a decent deal for some
no fee

+$200 airline fee
+$100 global entry (or +$400 - $175 with 3 additional users)
+priority pass/centurion/delta
+spg gold/FHR/less useful bennies
It's actually $400 airline fee because the credit is annual by calendar year so you get it twice before your first AF hits.

You can bank $500 plus PP/Cent/Delta/SPG/FHR/no FTF

I got an extra $100 for complaint about the loss of AA/US so $600 plus perks (and I use FHR).

I'll probably keep at least another year so the AF will start to become an issue if I don't use the lounges enough.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
No issue, there will be an Ameriprise logo on the back.
So... it's an Ameriprise co-branded card that gets all of the benefits of the regular Amex Plat, but $0 AF for the first year AND they don't enforce the requirement to be an Ameriprise customer?
Old Feb 28, 2014, 6:00 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
Mine is about to make it to one year. No issues so far with having it. I am not an ameriprise client.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by fL1Pm0d3
Mine is about to make it to one year. No issues so far with having it. I am not an ameriprise client.
So, you just applied online? They didn't ask for an Ameriprise customer id or whatever?
Old Feb 28, 2014, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
So, you just applied online? They didn't ask for an Ameriprise customer id or whatever?
I have had the card since around middle of last year with the AF waived for the first year. I apped online while I still had a PRG open with AMEX, AMEX was making offers to me to upgrade to the Plat prior to opening the Ameriprise one.. After a few months I closed my PRG before the AF hit and opened an AMEX SPG card. I have had no questions from AMEX, but I also do not plan on triggering FR on any accounts by doing Bean heavy Bean spending.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:18 pm

Programs: Delta Plat IHG Dia, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Global Entry, TSA ✓
Applied and got approved today.

they did not ask about it whatsoever!
Old Mar 1, 2014, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Jasonkr
Applied and got approved today.

they did not ask about it whatsoever!
Thank you. With $0 AF, this AX Plat is an excellent value, what with the airline reimbursement, GE reimbursement, etc.

I'll apply for it. I'm not sure I will keep it past the anniversary date, but we'll see.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 10:48 am

Done, and approved. My next trip is on Friday, hope the card arrives before then.

I noticed that you can get additional cards with the AF also waived for the first year. Reading the T&C, it seems that each additional card holder gets the GE fee refunded, so I got a card for everyone in the family.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 10:56 am

Done, and approved. My next trip is on Friday, hope the card arrives before then.
If anyone is approved via recon you can request expedited delivery otherwise it's snail mail and mine came too late for a trip which was really unfortunate. Also funny my welcome kit arrived 4 weeks after the card!
Old Mar 1, 2014, 12:00 pm

If anyone is approved via recon you can request expedited delivery otherwise it's snail mail and mine came too late for a trip which was really unfortunate. Also funny my welcome kit arrived 4 weeks after the card!
Yes, I called to ask about expediting delivery, no-can-do. Not sure why, considering that they can overnight you a replacement card after you get the first one.

We'll see what happens. No big deal if it doesn't arrive before this coming trip.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 12:19 pm

Yes, I called to ask about expediting delivery, no-can-do. Not sure why, considering that they can overnight you a replacement card after you get the first one.

We'll see what happens. No big deal if it doesn't arrive before this coming trip.
You can come find me in the RDU and beat me up if you get FR'd and lose this card.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 12:29 pm

They told me their policy is not to reissue a card until it's been activated or cancelled due to non-delivery which requires 10 days after issuance. It's not a big deal but it did mean I couldn't use the AC on my trip.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 12:31 pm

They told me their policy is not to reissue a card until it's been activated or cancelled due to non-delivery which requires 10 days after issuance. It's not a big deal but it did mean I couldn't use the AC on my trip.
I get that, but why couldn't they send the initial card via overnight courier? Even the USPS offers that service (and they deliver on Sundays).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.