Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2015, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Willbur
Did you enroll? You have to go to https://www298.americanexpress.com/b...#/loungefinder and click Enroll Now.
Originally Posted by exarkun
I never saw that link, thanks.

Unfortunately the registration doesn't work right now =(

We're sorry. We are unable to process your request.
Please try again later.

We apologize for the inconvenience.
With so many things to register to get the benefits, there should be a wiki, here's another one (for $200 airline incidentals):

http://www.americanexpress.com/selectafc

Update:
Oh, wait, there is a wiki

Last edited by boboqui; Jul 26, 2015 at 5:27 pm Reason: Update
Old Jul 26, 2015, 5:28 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by boboqui
there should be a wiki,
DONE:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...d-do-list.html
Old Jul 26, 2015, 5:29 pm

WOW, that was quick! ^
Old Jul 27, 2015, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by teammjs
My guess is you can, since Amex tends to give the cards, but not the bonuses. For Delta, SPG, etc. people who re-applied <12 months (or even again, under the new terms), never seemed to get charged the annual fee on those "no fee first year" cards.

Worst case if they DID charge the annual fee, you could cancel.

I think you may have been one of the first to have actually cancelled the card (mine will be cancelled in about a month), so please try and report back.
Datapoint:

1st Ameriprise Plat approved in 03/2014, cancelled in 03/2015 (already got 200 airline credit for 2015)
2nd Ameriprise Plat approved in 07/2015, no AF charged, got another 200 airline credit for 2015.

This churning process seems pretty good. I don't care about the bonus, but 400 airline credit in one calendar year and free access to DL club and Centurion Club are huge to me.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 5:44 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by lz80521
Datapoint:

1st Ameriprise Plat approved in 03/2014, cancelled in 03/2015 (already got 200 airline credit for 2015)
2nd Ameriprise Plat approved in 07/2015, no AF charged, got another 200 airline credit for 2015.

This churning process seems pretty good. I don't care about the bonus, but 400 airline credit in one calendar year and free access to DL club and Centurion Club are huge to me.
Very nice. Thank you for reporting. What happened with the "member since" date on the card, and the age of account reported to the bureaus?

I know that Amex doesn't backdate to the bureaus anymore, but I wonder if they'd do it different on an account type that you had before.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Very nice. Thank you for reporting. What happened with the "member since" date on the card, and the age of account reported to the bureaus?

I know that Amex doesn't backdate to the bureaus anymore, but I wonder if they'd do it different on an account type that you had before.
The "member since" date is still back-dated to the year of my 1st amex card. I will report back the age in my reports when I get chance to check them.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
Does this card also work for the centurion lounge

Does this card also work for the centurion lounge
Old Aug 11, 2015, 5:38 pm

Datapoint:

man, wish we knew this before that offer ended, since I've been wondering if the AF waiver counts as a "bonus." Already applied for one in 2014. I don't need the MR, just want access to the centurion lounges....
Old Aug 11, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Datapoint:

Awesome, thank you for this datapoint.

Last edited by mia; Aug 12, 2015 at 10:08 am Reason: Copied portion of post to DFW Centurion lounge thread.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 10:05 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion of inadequate facilities at DFW Centurion Lounge moved to thread where others are more likely to read them:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...erminal-d.html
Old Aug 12, 2015, 12:06 pm

Regarding the Ameriprise card-- it's always first year free, but the only difference in the limited time offers we've seen are the MR bonus, correct?
Old Aug 16, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors, Delta Skymiles
Just wondered if anyone has any idea how long approval usually takes? Applied last night and is still pending. However It is the weekend (applied like 10pm EST on Sat), every other Amex I have ever applied for has authorized immediately so just wondering when I should start to be annoyed/concerned!?
Old Aug 16, 2015, 5:22 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
My application Thursday was quick and painless. Approved in less than 60 seconds.

Then I took advantage of the free FICO score from Amex: 847.

YMMV

Jim
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:04 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
Four days from application to card in my mailbox. Pretty good service!

A cursory review of card benefits turns up a travel accident insurance benefit for death or other calamities. No mention of covered medical emergency evacuation which I thought was a feature of classic Amex Platinum cards.

Not that I'd ever need it ( I hope ) but the medical evacuation policy is a pretty nifty feature missing from the Ameriprise product.

Jim
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Datapoint:

Interesting. I got the card a year ago and when the steep annual fee hit this month, I had my wife successfully apply for her own card (with me as a companion card). I do feel like an idiot for not paying close enough attention to realize the 25K bonus is only offered periodically and expired in June. Oh well: my main objective is to have lounge access and collect the $200 x 2.

If nothing else changes, it does seem like next summer I'll be able to get my own free card again, and then swap membership with my wife each year. If you have a spouse, this seems like a great way to play it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.