Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2009, 8:55 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Found answer in this 2008 document...

http://www.slideshare.net/finance43/...b1b4e1842008ar

Through Ameriprise Achiever Circle, we offer special benefits and rewards to recognize clients who have $100,000 invested with us. Clients who have $500,000 or more invested with us are eligible for Ameriprise Achiever Circle Elite...
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:21 am

Post YMMV: Amex platinum fee free for one year [USA, Ameriprise]

Linky

supposedly for clients only but you dont need any client ID or other info. the T&C clearly state one year fee free. plus fee free additional card holder.

Edit: if you already have another ameriprise world elite mastercard or a savings/checking account you can get your "client ID" incase it ever comes to verification.

Last edited by mia; Dec 30, 2011 at 10:01 pm
Old Dec 30, 2011, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Good, but I guess many would rather pay the $450 and get the 50,000 or more bonus points that are offered, since they can always be straight converted to $500 equivalent forms. If someone has concerns about meeting the $3000 spend for the 50,000 points though, this would be a better move to get the card. The advantage I see here is the fee free additional cards, as it becomes a savings of $625 at that point, which may make sense for some instead of 50k points. Not to me, but to some.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 2:06 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
yeah saw this on sd...looks like apretty good deal for someone like me...who doesn't want to cough up the 450$ but wants the lounge and status..tempting...so if i fund like 10$ with ameritrade i'm a client right?
Old Dec 30, 2011, 2:10 pm

bonus

As an Ameriprise client, you can earn 5,000 bonus points to your Membership Rewards First® program account for every $20,000 in Eligible Spending on the Card. A maximum of 30,000 bonus points can be earned in each 12-month period (billing periods from January through December).“Eligible Spending” includes purchases of goods or services, which purchases have not been returned or otherwise credited to your Card account: it does NOT include fees, Interest Charges, Balance Transfers, Cash Advances or similar means of accessing your Card account, or the purchase of American Express Travelers Cheques, American Express Gift Cheques or other cash equivalents. Bonus points will be credited to your program account within 6-8 weeks after the billing period in which you achieved $20,000 of Eligible Spending, provided that your Card Account is open and in good standing on the bonus crediting date. Bonus points will be awarded only on Platinum Card Accounts obtained through an arrangement between American Express and Ameriprise. Bonus point awards will cease upon termination of the arrangement between American Express and Ameriprise. Bonus ID: 0695. Terms and Conditions of the Membership Reward First program apply and are available at membershiprewards.com/terms.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by bitachu
yeah saw this on sd...looks like apretty good deal for someone like me...who doesn't want to cough up the 450$ but wants the lounge and status..tempting...so if i fund like 10$ with ameritrade i'm a client right?
you become a client by funding $1 with a financial adviser in a savings account.

Rcommander (on SD)
Old Dec 30, 2011, 9:59 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Previous discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...nual-fees.html
Old Dec 31, 2011, 9:39 am

Anyone know if this application for a fee-free first year could be used by someone whose current AMEX Platinum is coming up for renewal at the $475 annual fee? Could this someone cancel the card when the renewal fee posts and then apply for this free one-year? If it could be done that's an excellent option for current Plat. holders who've already received a sign-up bonus and would not be eligible for any more bonuses on the card.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 11:58 am

I did this in November 2010. Back then Ameriprise stated on their website you needed to have a certain level of account with them to be eligible for the offer (it was something like $100,000 or $500,000 on deposit). In any event, I signed up, no fee the first year, got a surprise 50,000 bonus points after $1,000 in spend and then applied another bonus ID for 100,000 points. So free first year and 150,000 in points...not bad! Plus I used the $200 airline credit, Amex insurance for $350 claim, airport lounge access every week, and a few other benefits. Amex just gave me 25,000 points to renew..definitely a no brainer.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by hytekjosh
I did this in November 2010. Back then Ameriprise stated on their website you needed to have a certain level of account with them to be eligible for the offer (it was something like $100,000 or $500,000 on deposit). In any event, I signed up, no fee the first year, got a surprise 50,000 bonus points after $1,000 in spend and then applied another bonus ID for 100,000 points. So free first year and 150,000 in points...not bad! Plus I used the $200 airline credit, Amex insurance for $350 claim, airport lounge access every week, and a few other benefits. Amex just gave me 25,000 points to renew..definitely a no brainer.
I like what i'm hearing...i might do this when my PRG is up for annual fee in June if its still around..by then i can figure out if i wanna put a 1$ to be a ameriprise customer
Old Mar 22, 2012, 8:22 pm

shall I pull the trigger and do this..no bonus but there is no ways I would pay for this card right now...my prg is up for renewal in a couple of months so this would be a good way to keep the points alive and get some good benefits

http://banking-credit.ameriprise.com...s-platinum.asp
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:34 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bitachu
I didn't think Ameritrade (discount stock broker) is related to Ameriprise (financial advisors, formerly a division of Amex).
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I didn't think Ameritrade (discount stock broker) is related to Ameriprise (financial advisors, formerly a division of Amex).
Correct. Technically you need to be a client of Ameriprise Financial Advisors with $100,000 or $500,000 in assets (I can't remember which).
Old Mar 26, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by upgrader
Anyone know if this application for a fee-free first year could be used by someone whose current AMEX Platinum is coming up for renewal at the $475 annual fee? Could this someone cancel the card when the renewal fee posts and then apply for this free one-year? If it could be done that's an excellent option for current Plat. holders who've already received a sign-up bonus and would not be eligible for any more bonuses on the card.
I'd be interested in this too. My renewal is mid April. I've been debating when to cancel(before the fee posts or after it posts?) because I do not spend enough to make it worthwhile. I picked it up last year for the Delta MQMs and 100k MR points.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 2:04 pm

Programs: Far too many
The Ameriprise Amex Platinum is no longer offered, according to the Amex executive I finally reached after being passed around from CR to CR in both companies.

The link takes you to a landing page, but submitting the application got me a "systems are not responding" error message in three tries over two days and different browsers.. Nobody at Ameriprise and few at Amex had ever heard of the card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.