25-30k MR to Upgrade Business Gold to Platinum

Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by troyhouse
you are correct, this is not upgrade, but just a promotional offer, so there will be credit inquiry. thanks for clarifying it.

so the question is:
450-platinum, 175-prg in fees and 27.5k mr points in retention, or 2 credit inquiries and 100k mr points, and no fee for business prg in 1st year.

btw, my credit score is 800+. any tips or ideas?
any tips on whether should i upgrade both personal versions to business versions, and get fees refunded, with assumption that i will take the credit hard pull hit.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by troyhouse
any tips on whether should i upgrade both personal versions to business versions, and get fees refunded, with assumption that i will take the credit hard pull hit.
There is no upgrade from Personal to Business cards. It is an application for a NEW account. You still retain your Personal account unless u decide to cancel them. However if u close them, u might lose the points unless u have at least one account open which earns AMEX Membership Rewards points and is properly linked to other accounts. Hope it clarifies everything.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, US Silver, Starwood Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by djrez4
Offered a 30k upgrade ($10k in 5 months) to Business Platinum today on my accounts page.

This is the landing page: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/s...latinumupdates

I don't know if it will work for anyone else, but I can open it in an incognito window, so chances are decent.
Took this offer with the intention of downgrading my Business Plat back to a BGR which is still in its (fee-free) first year. Does anyone know how quickly after spending 10k will the 30k bonus points post? Historically, Amex's promotional points will post a few days after reaching the spend, but the typical 1-3x MR points on the spend will take until the second statement post-spend to post. If I downgrade the card, will I still receive the typical 1 MR back for each dollar spent (~2 statements later)?
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:46 am

30,000 MR for upgrade from Gold to Platinum : Good deal?

Ok, so here's my story. I signed up last spring for the Business Gold rewards card and the 75k offer. First year fee waived. Met all the spend requirements, and my credit is great so I have a nice little nest egg of MR points.

I logged in to check my balance and saw an offer to get 30,000 additional points for upgrading to the Platinum version.

The requirements are :
Your application for the Business Platinum Card must be approved by November 20, 2014
You must charge $10,000 of eligible purchases on your new Business Platinum Card in the first 5 months of Card membership.
Offer is available for first-time upgrades to the new Business Platinum Card only and for one Card account only.

So here are my thoughts... If I keep the gold card I could probably get 10-15k MR points as a retention bonus and only be out of pocket the $175 yearly fee.

On the other hand if I wait until just before my yearly membership fee hits in May, I can upgrade then I have essentially received 105,000 points for a platinum card and the $450 fee. That's slightly better than the 100k deal from a while back. Plus there's the $200 airline credit which I intend to use, so my out of pocket expense is essentially $250 for the extra 30,000 points.

I intend to keep at least one card since I can't burn all my MR points until the fall. Unfortunately my job keeps me from traveling during the spring and summer.

So right now an upgrade seems like a good deal at ~8 cents per point. Does this analysis look right to the rest of you?
-TK
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:15 pm

By the way, thank you for merging this into the appropriate thread! Sorry for the inconvenience!

-TK
Old Jan 10, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: Flying and sleeping
Originally Posted by tkarrade
So right now an upgrade seems like a good deal at ~8 cents per point. Does this analysis look right to the rest of you?
-TK
It's 0.8 cents per point.

If you actually put spend on the BGR in the bonus categories, wait until just before the fee hits to upgrade. The 30k upgrade offer is pretty standard and should be around. However, don't count on a retention bonus.

Somewhere along the way, a nice offer will pop up for either the PRG or the personal Platinum. Snatch that up when it appears. If you're under time constraints for some reason, you can get the MB Plat right now for a 50k bonus.

Now - A question for the masses

I read here about someone rejecting the 30k for $10k BGR to Business Plat upgrade offer and then seeing a no-spend 25k upgrade bonus appear soon thereafter. I can't find the post now. The 30k offer is Bonus ID: A4D8. Does anyone have the Bonus ID for the 25k offer?
Old Jan 10, 2014, 4:02 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID RAZR Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-16) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

I had the 25,000 points upgrade offer with first purchase numerous months ago, but the last several months I've only seen the 30,000 after 10,000 spend. Now however after the last few days I see no offer at all.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
I had the 25,000 points upgrade offer with first purchase numerous months ago, but the last several months I've only seen the 30,000 after 10,000 spend. Now however after the last few days I see no offer at all.[/QUOTE]

Same here.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 12:16 pm

I recently received the email to upgrade the AMEX Gold Business to AMEX Gold Plat for 30k MR points after 10k spend in 5 months. I currently have an AMEX Personal Plat and got the Gold for the 75k signup bonus before. I kept them both since I don't have to pay the annual fee on either.

With that being said - is there any reason not to accept the offer? I estimate we spend $500 a month in gas. (the only "bonus point spend category" that we use on a regular basis) As a result, it would be roughly 5 years until those bonus points equaled the 30k bonus. This doesn't even include the $200 a year in airline credit we'd receive for the card. So other than losing the category bonus, am I missing anything else that would be lost if I accepted the offer? I appreciate any/all opinions - thanks!
Old Feb 25, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: Flying and sleeping
I read here about someone rejecting the 30k for $10k BGR to Business Plat upgrade offer and then seeing a no-spend 25k upgrade bonus appear soon thereafter. I can't find the post now. The 30k offer is Bonus ID: A4D8. Does anyone have the Bonus ID for the 25k offer?
Found it - http://romsdeals.com/2013/10/02/amex...ness-platinum/

No idea if it works. I may try later this week when I'm messing around.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Found it - http://romsdeals.com/2013/10/02/amex...ness-platinum/

No idea if it works. I may try later this week when I'm messing around.
This sends me to the $10k spending link.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold, US Silver, Starwood Gold, Starbucks Gold
The article is from October, and I believe the offer for 25k for free died sometime in late October / early November or so. Doesn't appear to have been revived.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 3:43 am

I went to upgrade my personnel gold card and it looks like it will allow me to but it doesn't mention anything about a bonus offer. I know it is usally 25K but do I need to get this confirmed first before I upgrade?
Old Mar 1, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by kmcbrid2
I went to upgrade my personnel gold card and it looks like it will allow me to but it doesn't mention anything about a bonus offer. I know it is usally 25K but do I need to get this confirmed first before I upgrade?
Did you follow the link in post #139? You can confirm if you want, but I wouldn't agree to pay $450 without confirming the reason I'm doing it. When I click the link in post #139, I see the spend $10K, get 25K offer.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:42 pm

Programs: Marriott, SW, United
I've had an SPG AMX card for eight years now. Probably have averaged $150K a year with them. 35K credit line, Also have MR Business AMX with only enough spending to meet minimum.
I received an offer of 30,000 points with 5K spending in 5 months. for the AMX Platinum Business. I thought that wasn't bad. Also saw offer when logged in to AMX.
I'll call and see what happens.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.