Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 6, 11, 8:27 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, American Air Platinum
Posts: 703
Using MR points for Southwest Air tickets

I wasn't aware of this , but a friend called AMEX today and a rep told him on the phone that if he used an AMEX card to purchase a Southwest Air ticket , when it appears on his statement , the system will then allow him to apply MR points towards it at a 1:1 ratio.

Does not work towards other Southwest fees (I currently have a $5 Southwest Air fee on my statement, can't use pay with points towards it)
4aks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 11, 8:51 pm   #2
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Houston, TX, USA
Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Posts: 6,109
Perhaps believable if the 1:1 ratio is points-to-pennies. If it's points-to-dollars, then it's almost certainly 100:1, if it exists at all. No way that you can redeem MR points at anywhere close to $1 each.
Steve M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 11, 9:06 pm   #3
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NYC
Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Posts: 1,685
I believe he's referring to pay with points, you can do it with any airline ticket booked thru Amex. You get 1 cent per point or 1.25 cents per point if you have a Platinum/Centurion card.

1 cent per point isn't great redemption value.
mlad1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 11, 9:44 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, American Air Platinum
Posts: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlad1101 View Post
I believe he's referring to pay with points, you can do it with any airline ticket booked thru Amex. You get 1 cent per point or 1.25 cents per point if you have a Platinum/Centurion card.

1 cent per point isn't great redemption value.
Isn't great value , but I was surprised , being most statement credit uses of points will only value them at 0.7 cents

And Southwest flights can't be booked through AMEX travel , so this is sort of a work-around - valuable when considering how much cheaper it is to fly IAD-DEN with 2 bags on Southwest vs the other airlines
4aks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 11, 8:36 am   #5
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; HH & SPG Gold
Posts: 20,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4aks View Post
... most statement credit uses of points will only value them at 0.7 cents...
Pay with Points is $0.01 for Green and Gold accounts, $0.0125 for Platinum and Centurion because American Express refunds 20% of the points.
mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 11, 11:05 am   #6
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NYC
Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Posts: 1,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4aks View Post
Isn't great value , but I was surprised , being most statement credit uses of points will only value them at 0.7 cents

And Southwest flights can't be booked through AMEX travel , so this is sort of a work-around - valuable when considering how much cheaper it is to fly IAD-DEN with 2 bags on Southwest vs the other airlines
Quote:
7. Are any airlines unavailable on the American Express Travel site?

To use Pay with Points to book with Southwest Airlines, please call Membership RewardsŪ Land & Sea at 1-800-268-3205 and select option #2. If you are looking for any other airline and it is not shown in your search results on the website, please call American Express Travel at 1-800-297-2977.
https://www212.americanexpress.com/d...00d0faad94RCRD
mlad1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 11, 7:24 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Texas
Programs: HHonors, AA, Hyatt, SPG, MP, Southwest, Wyndham, Priority Club
Posts: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia View Post
Pay with Points is $0.01 for Green and Gold accounts, $0.0125 for Platinum and Centurion because American Express refunds 20% of the points.
Is this only for airfare? Because when I tried to book other travel...like hotels and a cruise, I wasn't getting $. 01... I was getting $.0075.

After I applied and started to use my MR points I was very disappointed! Switched over from SPG Am Ex and remember reading that I could use my MR points and transfer them to SPG and to other airlines.

Imagine my surprise when I realized I could only get 333 SPG points per 1000...and also to find out United/Continental were going away!

I need to burn through 66K MR points before I cancel in a few months. I plan to go back to my SPG card instead. I would love to be able to buy my Southwest tickets for this June now and apply my MR points but only if I get $ .01...
sargenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 11, 7:38 am   #8
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; HH & SPG Gold
Posts: 20,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargenet View Post
Is this only for airfare?
Green/Gold Pay with Points is generally $0.01 for airfare, less for other types of travel. ( don't know why, because lodging should be more profitable for the agency.) Some posters have reported targeted promotions which temporarily improved the return. Typically this is presented as a "discount" in the number of points per dollar.
mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 11, 2:53 pm   #9
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargenet View Post
Imagine my surprise when I realized I could only get 333 SPG points per 1000...and also to find out United/Continental were going away!
I made the same mistake. Signed up for PRG and thought I could convert the bonus points to SPG points (at a reasonable rate at least) - if it weren't for the 2X points on gas/groceries I wouldn't keep the card.

I'm gonna pay for the second year when the fee comes due, but I don't know if it will last must past 2 years.
Palaimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 11, 6:34 am   #10
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Texas
Programs: HHonors, AA, Hyatt, SPG, MP, Southwest, Wyndham, Priority Club
Posts: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palaimo View Post
I made the same mistake. Signed up for PRG and thought I could convert the bonus points to SPG points (at a reasonable rate at least) - if it weren't for the 2X points on gas/groceries I wouldn't keep the card.

I'm gonna pay for the second year when the fee comes due, but I don't know if it will last must past 2 years.
I wasn't planning on using this for gas...as I get 5% on my Pen Fed. But what upsets me is that they told me I would not get 2% on my commissary purchases as they were not including it as "grocery stores".

My husband has a Hilton Am Ex and on that card they do give the extra points and consider commissaries as grocery stores. But not the gold card. So now all I can get is 1 pt. I was surprised that they include it as a grocery store on a Hilton Am Ex...but not a Gold Am Ex.

So back to SPG Am Ex I go nect spring. I will apply closer to my 1 year on this card in hopes I might be able to get a sign up bonus again on SPG....
sargenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 11, 1:55 pm   #11
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; HH & SPG Gold
Posts: 20,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargenet View Post
....they told me I would not get 2% on my commissary purchases as they were not including it as "grocery stores".
....
Did you make a test purchase or only ask?
mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 11, 2:28 pm   #12
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Texas
Programs: HHonors, AA, Hyatt, SPG, MP, Southwest, Wyndham, Priority Club
Posts: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia View Post
Did you make a test purchase or only ask?
I made a purchase and when I called in to question why I only got 1 pt they said commissaries were not included. I said it was on my husband's Hilton as a bonus catergory. The rep confirmed it in the terms and conditions.
sargenet is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:22 pm.