Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Network "Gift Chain"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2011, 3:29 pm

Programs: All of the Above
So, for those FTer's that haven't jumped on this train yet, hurry and get your cards registered. This is as good as the Small Biz Saturday IMO. I've got a spreadsheet that I'm keeping up with each order, and what gift I've gotten in return. I've registered double digit Am Ex's, you can order 10 times per card, and get a gift each time. I've ordered tons of WM GC's because I can use them at Sams for Biz purchases and will give employees WM gift cards for presents this year instead of Target, so it's $$ I would've spent anyways. Early on the gifts from ordering WM GC's was decent, but now I'm just getting a lot of $5 Statement credits (which is still 25% off the $25 WM GC I bought). Bought lots of things from T-R-U for kiddos and the prizes are better. Every single time ordering at WM, the first order you get a shoprunner membership, then the prizes get better. That was my mistake at first, I bought 1 GC per Am Ex, and got all shoprunner memberships. Then I learned that on the consecutive orders with the same Am Ex, I got better prizes, but every first purchase with an Am Ex netted shoprunner.

I've gotten everything from a $2.25 statement credit to a couple $50 Am Ex GC's and some $25 Am Ex GC that I can share with 3 FB friends (so worth $100 total). Every order has totaled right at $25 or at T-R-U as close as possible.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 8:27 pm

I think I went overboard… purchasing 10 $25 gift cards… here’s a summary how I did:
http://justanotherpointstraveler.blo...thanks-to.html
Old Nov 30, 2011, 8:37 pm

The gifts are limited in each pool. How do you know when the gifts run out?
Old Nov 30, 2011, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by aaucello
I think I went overboard… purchasing 10 $25 gift cards… here’s a summary how I did:
The Mrs. thinks I went overboard too. I, too, feel like I'm sitting at a slot machine, or blackjack table each order I place. So far, I still have 22 "missing" gifts from the past 2 days. Of course, it's hard to tell what gift is for what transaction, but my spreadsheet tells me I'm still missing bunch of gifts. I have crossed my $1K in gifts I was hoping for tonight! Gonna let the jets cool though now for a couple days and see if some gifts I'm missing roll in.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by JoeSixpack
No one knows when the gifts run out I don't think. It seems that everyone is pretty much getting $5 Statement Credit from WM now, so I'm guessing they are about tapped out of good gifts.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 9:37 pm

Whoa, is this true?? A commenter on mommypoints blog just posted this:

Cassia says:
November 30, 2011 at 9:42 pm
FYI for other commenters – there is a limit of *10* per card registered and a limit of 1 shoprunner per card. I’m guessing most people will get shoprunner as the first, then they can’t get it again.
Also, there is a limit of 1 card registered per person, per the official rules. So each adult in a household can do 1 card with 10 transactions, but not multiple cards.

I guess I feel better that I am capped off at 10 transactions....
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:14 pm

Whoa, is this true?? A commenter on mommypoints blog just posted this:
Also, there is a limit of 1 card registered per person, per the official rules. So each adult in a household can do 1 card with 10 transactions, but not multiple cards.

I guess I feel better that I am capped off at 10 transactions....
If you read the FAQ's:
If I participate via the purchase method, do I have to spend on the Card I enroll? What about another Card on the same account?
If you chose to participate via the purchase method, you must spend on the Card you have enrolled. For Accounts with multiple Cards, each Card must be enrolled separately.

Also, I believe on twitter asking AMEX they stated you could do multiple cards.

Shoprunner is almost guaranteed on the first transaction, afterwards I haven't gotten another. However, some people claim they received shoprunner more than one on a card.
Some people avoid that by purchasing through some retailers that do not have shoprunner in their prize pool such as REI.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Originally Posted by JoeSixpack
"Once the randomly seeded Gifts are exhausted in a particular Qualifying Merchant Gift Pool, “Rollover Gifts” will be distributed. The Rollover Gifts will only be available to be distributed in a particular Qualifying Merchant Gift Pool when, and if, a particular Qualifying Merchant Gift Pool has been exhausted."

ROLLOVER GIFTS
128000 1-yr ShopRunner Membership good for free 2-day shipping on purchases made at select online retailers $79.00
98450 $2 statement credit $2.00
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DavidAL
No one knows when the gifts run out I don't think. It seems that everyone is pretty much getting $5 Statement Credit from WM now, so I'm guessing they are about tapped out of good gifts.
I'm assuming that each gift pool does have to be random , though I also suppose they can do per-user exceptions for situations like 'this registered card already has Shoprunner gift, go redraw from gift pool'
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:47 pm

I thought it stated that they would tell you when they were out of the "main" prize pool.

The Promotion starts November 28, 2011 at 09:00:00 (9:00:00 AM) Central Time (CT) and ends December 21, 2011 at 23:59:59 CT (11:59:59 PM CT) or while supply of promotional Gifts (including Rollover Gifts) last whichever occurs first (“Promotion Period”). Participants will be notified if and when the supply of promotional Gifts (including Rollover Gifts) is exhausted for each individual participating online store (listed below) via the email address provided at time of registration and by notice on the Promotion website.

Am I reading it incorrectly?
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
i wish you would've won the great seatmate contest... your video was clearly the best!
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QSYH
I thought it stated that they would tell you when they were out of the "main" prize pool.

The Promotion starts November 28, 2011 at 09:00:00 (9:00:00 AM) Central Time (CT) and ends December 21, 2011 at 23:59:59 CT (11:59:59 PM CT) or while supply of promotional Gifts (including Rollover Gifts) last whichever occurs first (“Promotion Period”). Participants will be notified if and when the supply of promotional Gifts (including Rollover Gifts) is exhausted for each individual participating online store (listed below) via the email address provided at time of registration and by notice on the Promotion website.

Am I reading it incorrectly?
I'm reading it to say that they won't tell you unless the rollover pool also runs out ... you'll know it if you get a $2 statement credit , it's only in the rollover pool
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:38 pm

Terms seem to suggest this won't work with Business/OPEN cards -does anyone have experience with this? Also, was wondering whether those who enrolled primary and supplementary card holders separately got bonuses for each? Thanks
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by 4aks
I'm reading it to say that they won't tell you unless the rollover pool also runs out ... you'll know it if you get a $2 statement credit , it's only in the rollover pool
Got it, I understand what you are saying. I thought it would state when a specific merchant runs out but I didn't realize they also included rollover.

Originally Posted by milefan
Terms seem to suggest this won't work with Business/OPEN cards -does anyone have experience with this? Also, was wondering whether those who enrolled primary and supplementary card holders separately got bonuses for each? Thanks
Where does it say that?

https://giftchain.amexnetwork.com/FAQs

Who is eligible for this program?
To enter and be eligible, you must be a legal resident of the 50 United States, or Washington, D.C., 18 years of age or older, and an eligible Consumer or Business American Express Cardmember prior to November 27, 2011. See the Official Rules for full eligibility rules.
Which American Express Cards are eligible for this program?
You may enroll any valid consumer or business American Express Credit, Supplementary or Charge Card, in good standing and not in default, issued in the U.S. either by AXP or by a licensed third party bank issuer of AXP-branded Cards. American Express Cards issued in the U.S. by Department Stores National Bank, Prepaid Cards including American Express Gift Cards and Serve cards as well as Corporate Cards are not eligible. If your Card cannot be validated, please call the customer service number on the back of your Card for assistance.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by milefan
Terms seem to suggest this won't work with Business/OPEN cards -does anyone have experience with this? Thanks
My mistake. I thought I saw somewhere in the terms a specific reference to "personal" cardmembers, but indeed business cards do work, gift just got emailed for my OPEN card, although it was the somewhat predictable shoprunner deal...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.