Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Network "Gift Chain"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:37 am

Does anyone have an extra Shoprunner membership? My understanding is that some people got more than one. I can actually make use of it, but I have no idea if it's transferable.

UPDATE: Never mind. I got one.

Last edited by Frequent Miler; Feb 15, 2012 at 6:10 pm
Old Feb 15, 2012, 8:33 pm

Programs: All of the Above
FWIW, I think I've got an extra couple shoprunner memberships if anyone wants one. Just PM me.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by DavidAL
FWIW, I think I've got an extra couple shoprunner memberships if anyone wants one. Just PM me.
Also, just FYI, transferring to another person does work.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Frequent Miler
I haven't opened the link yet via the Gift Chain email, so they should be "brand new" and assignable to anyone.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:51 pm

Actually, all of the gifts were/are transferable
Old Feb 20, 2012, 4:21 pm

I am not against paying taxes on smthing where I m supposed to, but still in my opinion, what If you dont/ cant accept/ claim a gift like 4 shoprunner membership per person, this is something annoying me, at 1st place why amex would give such gift multiple times when it can be claimed once, just because of extra 3 worthless membership my total gift value was raised to $655. I pretty much hate to include it as taxable income, What you guys think?

ANd fyi, I had detailed information about all my gifts on a spreadsheet:

They havnt included shareable
Have included mr points
statement credit

they have totaled value per person, so my wife got 1099, I did not
Old Feb 20, 2012, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by nash2
I am not against paying taxes on smthing where I m supposed to, but still in my opinion, what If you dont/ cant accept/ claim a gift like 4 shoprunner membership per person, this is something annoying me, at 1st place why amex would give such gift multiple times when it can be claimed once, just because of extra 3 worthless membership my total gift value was raised to $655. I pretty much hate to include it as taxable income, What you guys think?

ANd fyi, I had detailed information about all my gifts on a spreadsheet:

They havnt included shareable
Have included mr points
statement credit

they have totaled value per person, so my wife got 1099, I did not
While I do agree with you, I'm not sure if the $200 in taxes that you'll save is worth the fight/hassle. I would most certainly include it in your taxes since Am Ex is sending the IRS a 1099 w/ your wife's SSN, so when you don't report, if I was a betting man, I'd say you'd get audited. So yeah, I agree, it sucks, but I'm just gonna pay the taxes.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 3:00 pm

Just got this from Am Ex. I'm assuming they got so much push back about the valuation of the SR memberships they are removing them. Press pause on filing taxes on the current 1099-Misc you go.

Dear Cardmember,

We are writing to let you know we are reissuing a 1099 form to you for the value of the gifts you received through the American Express Gift Chain promotion. As a courtesy, this new 1099 form will not include the value of any ShopRunner memberships or any Next Purchase statement credits you received if you haven’t redeemed them. You will receive the form within the next two weeks. If you don’t receive the new 1099 form in this timeframe please call the number on the back of your Card.

If you have already used the original 1099 form to file your 2011 tax return please contact a tax professional for assistance.

Thank you for your Cardmembership.

Sincerely,
American Express Customer Care
Old Mar 4, 2012, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Just finished totaling my results. I made 120 purchases of $25 Zappos.com gift cards with 12 cards.

Total value of 108 gifts received was $2570. I lost $570 selling the Zappos cards for a total profit of $2000 even. I received a 1099 for $1150 which will cost me 25% to the IRS.

I've sent a message to Amex regarding the missing 12 gifts I never received. Hopefully they'll throw me a bone.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:26 pm

I got in the mail yesterday my updated 1099 from Am Ex. They eliminated the Mrs. from having a 1099, and combined our 1099 went down close to 40%. Not too shabby. I'm glad they decided not to show SR memberships in the total. Anyone else get their updated 1099?
Old Mar 10, 2012, 8:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by vxmike
Just finished totaling my results. I made 120 purchases of $25 Zappos.com gift cards with 12 cards.

Total value of 108 gifts received was $2570. I lost $570 selling the Zappos cards for a total profit of $2000 even. I received a 1099 for $1150 which will cost me 25% to the IRS.

I've sent a message to Amex regarding the missing 12 gifts I never received. Hopefully they'll throw me a bone.
You may have better luck going to Twitter. SM route is really slow. They should do $10 per missing entry if you are willing to not give up. Took me about 6-8 SMs as well as tweets.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 3:46 pm

Programs: DL EZ TG AS
Fee free GC from AMEX..

Didn't see it in this thread yet and not sure if it belong here, so, Mod feel free to move it.
I found this in my mailbox this AM.

Administrative Professionals' Day celebrates everyone who keeps the office running year round. This year, show your gratitude by giving them a gift that thanks them for all they do –
American Express® Gift Cards. They are the perfect gift for all the administrative professionals, assistants and co-workers in your workplace.
ORDER NOW NO PURCHASE FEES: USE CODE EMADMCM1
WITH YOUR AMERICAN EXPRESS CARD

Since there is no purchase fee, is there a redemption fee?
Old Mar 11, 2012, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Akazeus
Didn't see it in this thread yet and not sure if it belong here, so, Mod feel free to move it.
I found this in my mailbox this AM.

Administrative Professionals' Day celebrates everyone who keeps the office running year round. This year, show your gratitude by giving them a gift that thanks them for all they do –
American Express® Gift Cards. They are the perfect gift for all the administrative professionals, assistants and co-workers in your workplace.
ORDER NOW NO PURCHASE FEES: USE CODE EMADMCM1
WITH YOUR AMERICAN EXPRESS CARD

Since there is no purchase fee, is there a redemption fee?
No, Amex gift cards do not have redemption fees. Amex does periodically have no fee promotions for these. If you want to buy a high priced Amex gift card, you can do better by going thru Big Crumbs for 1.4% cash back.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 8:54 pm

Programs: DL EZ TG AS
No, Amex gift cards do not have redemption fees. Amex does periodically have no fee promotions for these. If you want to buy a high priced Amex gift card, you can do better by going thru Big Crumbs for 1.4% cash back.
Good advise Frequent Miler.

Thanks for the link
Old Mar 16, 2012, 8:33 am

Looks like you will personally receive any gift cards which you did not share. I have been receiving emails with the following:

"Dear ___________,

Our records indicate that due to technical difficulties you were unable
to share 3 of the $2 Dunkin' Donuts gift card(s) you received in
The American Express Gift Chain with your Facebook friend(s) before
the February 29, 2012 deadline.

We will be mailing the gift card(s) directly to you within the next
three weeks, so that you can forward them on to your friend(s).

We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience. Thank you for being a
part of the American Express Gift Chain.

Sincerely,
American Express Customer Care"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.