Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 15, 12, 11:37 am   #196
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 291
Does anyone have an extra Shoprunner membership? My understanding is that some people got more than one. I can actually make use of it, but I have no idea if it's transferable.

UPDATE: Never mind. I got one.

Last edited by Frequent Miler; Feb 15, 12 at 6:10 pm..
Frequent Miler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 12, 8:33 pm   #197
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: AL
Programs: All of the Above
Posts: 1,263
FWIW, I think I've got an extra couple shoprunner memberships if anyone wants one. Just PM me.
DavidAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 12, 10:15 am   #198
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAL View Post
FWIW, I think I've got an extra couple shoprunner memberships if anyone wants one. Just PM me.
Also, just FYI, transferring to another person does work.
Frequent Miler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 12, 10:24 am   #199
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: AL
Programs: All of the Above
Posts: 1,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequent Miler View Post
Also, just FYI, transferring to another person does work.
I haven't opened the link yet via the Gift Chain email, so they should be "brand new" and assignable to anyone.
DavidAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 12, 11:51 pm   #200
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequent Miler View Post
Also, just FYI, transferring to another person does work.
Actually, all of the gifts were/are transferable
Simpleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 12, 4:21 pm   #201
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5
I am not against paying taxes on smthing where I m supposed to, but still in my opinion, what If you dont/ cant accept/ claim a gift like 4 shoprunner membership per person, this is something annoying me, at 1st place why amex would give such gift multiple times when it can be claimed once, just because of extra 3 worthless membership my total gift value was raised to $655. I pretty much hate to include it as taxable income, What you guys think?


ANd fyi, I had detailed information about all my gifts on a spreadsheet:

They havnt included shareable
Have included mr points
statement credit

they have totaled value per person, so my wife got 1099, I did not
nash2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 12, 5:41 pm   #202
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: AL
Programs: All of the Above
Posts: 1,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by nash2 View Post
I am not against paying taxes on smthing where I m supposed to, but still in my opinion, what If you dont/ cant accept/ claim a gift like 4 shoprunner membership per person, this is something annoying me, at 1st place why amex would give such gift multiple times when it can be claimed once, just because of extra 3 worthless membership my total gift value was raised to $655. I pretty much hate to include it as taxable income, What you guys think?


ANd fyi, I had detailed information about all my gifts on a spreadsheet:

They havnt included shareable
Have included mr points
statement credit

they have totaled value per person, so my wife got 1099, I did not
While I do agree with you, I'm not sure if the $200 in taxes that you'll save is worth the fight/hassle. I would most certainly include it in your taxes since Am Ex is sending the IRS a 1099 w/ your wife's SSN, so when you don't report, if I was a betting man, I'd say you'd get audited. So yeah, I agree, it sucks, but I'm just gonna pay the taxes.
DavidAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 12, 3:00 pm   #203
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: AL
Programs: All of the Above
Posts: 1,263
Just got this from Am Ex. I'm assuming they got so much push back about the valuation of the SR memberships they are removing them. Press pause on filing taxes on the current 1099-Misc you go.

Dear Cardmember,



We are writing to let you know we are reissuing a 1099 form to you for the value of the gifts you received through the American Express Gift Chain promotion. As a courtesy, this new 1099 form will not include the value of any ShopRunner memberships or any Next Purchase statement credits you received if you haven’t redeemed them. You will receive the form within the next two weeks. If you don’t receive the new 1099 form in this timeframe please call the number on the back of your Card.



If you have already used the original 1099 form to file your 2011 tax return please contact a tax professional for assistance.



Thank you for your Cardmembership.


Sincerely,
American Express Customer Care
DavidAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 12, 4:30 pm   #204
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: DTW
Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Posts: 1,403
Just finished totaling my results. I made 120 purchases of $25 Zappos.com gift cards with 12 cards.

Total value of 108 gifts received was $2570. I lost $570 selling the Zappos cards for a total profit of $2000 even. I received a 1099 for $1150 which will cost me 25% to the IRS.

I've sent a message to Amex regarding the missing 12 gifts I never received. Hopefully they'll throw me a bone.
vxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 12, 10:26 pm   #205
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: AL
Programs: All of the Above
Posts: 1,263
I got in the mail yesterday my updated 1099 from Am Ex. They eliminated the Mrs. from having a 1099, and combined our 1099 went down close to 40%. Not too shabby. I'm glad they decided not to show SR memberships in the total. Anyone else get their updated 1099?
DavidAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 12, 8:15 pm   #206
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: CVG
Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Posts: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxmike View Post
Just finished totaling my results. I made 120 purchases of $25 Zappos.com gift cards with 12 cards.

Total value of 108 gifts received was $2570. I lost $570 selling the Zappos cards for a total profit of $2000 even. I received a 1099 for $1150 which will cost me 25% to the IRS.

I've sent a message to Amex regarding the missing 12 gifts I never received. Hopefully they'll throw me a bone.
You may have better luck going to Twitter. SM route is really slow. They should do $10 per missing entry if you are willing to not give up. Took me about 6-8 SMs as well as tweets.
sam_goh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 12, 3:46 pm   #207
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SEA
Programs: DL EZ TG AS
Posts: 130
Fee free GC from AMEX..

Didn't see it in this thread yet and not sure if it belong here, so, Mod feel free to move it.
I found this in my mailbox this AM.

Administrative Professionals' Day celebrates everyone who keeps the office running year round. This year, show your gratitude by giving them a gift that thanks them for all they do –
American Express® Gift Cards. They are the perfect gift for all the administrative professionals, assistants and co-workers in your workplace.
ORDER NOW NO PURCHASE FEES: USE CODE EMADMCM1
WITH YOUR AMERICAN EXPRESS CARD

Since there is no purchase fee, is there a redemption fee?
Akazeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 12, 5:34 pm   #208
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akazeus View Post
Didn't see it in this thread yet and not sure if it belong here, so, Mod feel free to move it.
I found this in my mailbox this AM.

Administrative Professionals' Day celebrates everyone who keeps the office running year round. This year, show your gratitude by giving them a gift that thanks them for all they do –
American Express® Gift Cards. They are the perfect gift for all the administrative professionals, assistants and co-workers in your workplace.
ORDER NOW NO PURCHASE FEES: USE CODE EMADMCM1
WITH YOUR AMERICAN EXPRESS CARD

Since there is no purchase fee, is there a redemption fee?
No, Amex gift cards do not have redemption fees. Amex does periodically have no fee promotions for these. If you want to buy a high priced Amex gift card, you can do better by going thru Big Crumbs for 1.4% cash back.
Frequent Miler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 12, 8:54 pm   #209
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SEA
Programs: DL EZ TG AS
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequent Miler View Post
No, Amex gift cards do not have redemption fees. Amex does periodically have no fee promotions for these. If you want to buy a high priced Amex gift card, you can do better by going thru Big Crumbs for 1.4% cash back.
Good advise Frequent Miler.

Thanks for the link
Akazeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 12, 8:33 am   #210
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 292
Looks like you will personally receive any gift cards which you did not share. I have been receiving emails with the following:

"Dear ___________,

Our records indicate that due to technical difficulties you were unable
to share 3 of the $2 Dunkin' Donuts gift card(s) you received in
The American Express Gift Chain with your Facebook friend(s) before
the February 29, 2012 deadline.

We will be mailing the gift card(s) directly to you within the next
three weeks, so that you can forward them on to your friend(s).

We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience. Thank you for being a
part of the American Express Gift Chain.

Sincerely,
American Express Customer Care"
onlybeef42 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 6:45 am.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.