Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) Extended Warranty reports

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2011, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
IME, Amex only requires that you have an open Amex account, not necessarily the same account on which the charge for the item was made.

Visa and MC are not so agreeable.
Granted. BUT, the caveat is that some Amex co-branded cards do not qualify for certain benefits. And some benefits are enhanced depending on the level/type of Amex.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 5:40 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Amex Delta Reserve + Platinum MR. Y, I book.
doing the right thing

I had the misfortune - or stupidity to spill a Starbucks Frapuccino on the keyboard of my logitech revue unit. I turned off the power and immediately soaked the thing in denatured alcohol. After a couple days of soaking, I let it dry and then turned it on. It started spewing hi-bit ascii characters onscreen. I checked online and found that Amex pays you back if YOU are the cause of accidental damage to an item you recently purchased with a covered card. So I filed the claim and in one day they approved my claim and refunded the full purchase price to my amex account.

A few days later - on a lark, I turned the keyboard on and suddenly it was working. Some of the keys were sticking a little - but figured it would work itself out. Where you guys saw an opportunity to take more than you gave for the product, I faced a moral dilemma. Is it right to keep the working system and the refund money from Amex? The issue for me is - the protection program was not designed to 'reward' you for failed products - but rather compensate you for your loss.

You no longer had a loss.

My dilemma was solved when the keyboard stopped working again the same day. I appreciate the benefit that American Express has given us...
We're all different, but I'd like to think I've grown up to be the kind of man that would return the money if the situation had worked out differently.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA MP, DL SkyMiles
I am planning to purchase the new Samsung Galaxy Nexus (which has officially not released in US) and imports seem to not have any US warranty. So would the "extended" warranty apply?

Chase Sapphire told me that if it did not have a US warranty - there is no "extended warranty".

I have sent an email to AmEx but no response yet. I tend not to believe oral responses on such matters - so waiting to get a written response. Anybody here have an experience with such a situation?
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:48 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Amex Delta Reserve + Platinum MR. Y, I book.
Originally Posted by compuser1973
I am planning to purchase the new Samsung Galaxy Nexus (which has officially not released in US) and imports seem to not have any US warranty. So would the "extended" warranty apply?

Chase Sapphire told me that if it did not have a US warranty - there is no "extended warranty".
?
Your laptop breaks the day after the warranty expires. No need to worry if you purchased it with your Card, thanks to Extended Warranty1.

• Embedded Protection - Charge your eligible purchases that have a valid U.S. manufacturer's warranty of 5 years or less to the Card.
• Extend Your Warranty - Extended Warranty can extend the terms of the original U.S. manufacturer's warranty for up to one additional year on eligible purchases with warranties of 5 years or less, when the eligible purchase is charged to the Card.
1 Extended Warranty is underwritten by AMEX Assurance Company, Administrative Office, Phoenix, AZ. Coverage is determined by the terms, conditions, and exclusions of Policy AX0953 or Policy EW-IND and is subject to change with notice. This document does not supplement or replace the Policy.

The language from AMEX site seems to hint at the same fate. The Amex extended warranty kicks in when the manufacturers warranty expires. I would wait for an official word - but here's what the amex faq says.

extracted from here: LINK

Last edited by runCMD; Nov 30, 2011 at 12:00 pm
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:10 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Full terms are posted here:

https://www.onlineclaim.americanexpr...e&productId=05
Old Aug 7, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Does anyone know if the Chase credit cards (Sapphire Preferred, Southwest Premier) will provide better or equal extended warranty to the Amex ones? I got an Amex Zync card now (downgrade from Premier Gold). Looking to get a tablet and trying to figure out which card to use.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 3:06 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Palaimo
What are the dollar amount caps on this? And, would AMEX extend an already extended warranty?

I recently bought a MacbookPro and bought "apple care" which extends the coverage to 3 years. Would AMEX cover this "high ticket" item, and would they extend it beyond the 3 years?
No, they do not extend purchased extended warranties, only the base warranty of the product.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 3:21 pm

Programs: 2.4mm++ AA Plat, Hlt Diam, Hyt Globaist, Mrrt Gold, Gold Pts, MilesForDreams.com, etc.. etal..
Originally Posted by mikeyyz
No, they do not extend purchased extended warranties, only the base warranty of the product.
I have had luck with them extending some extended manufacturer's warranties
Old Aug 9, 2012, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by Milesbuilder
I have had luck with them extending some extended manufacturer's warranties
Amex will offer 1 year in addition to the extended warranty as long at the manufacture's + extended warranty combined duration is less than one year*.

* For computers and computer parts the only extended warranty that Amex will honor has to come from the OEM directly; so they would honor a Dell extended warranty on a Dell laptop, but not a Best Buy one.

At least this is true for Amex Plat.

Source: Amex Plat - Extended Warranty Policy
Old Aug 25, 2012, 4:25 pm

The magsafe charger for my MacBook Pro failed this week. It's a $79 replacement, which is a high enough cost to be annoying. I bought the laptop on my Zync card in January of 2011, so I decided to see if Amex would pay for a replacement. The woman I spoke to over the phone was exceedingly polite and helpful, and a couple days later, I have a new charger, and a statement credit covering the cost of it.

Given that the card has an annual fee of only $25, I'd say that I'm getting great value out of having it.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 8:09 am

From what I read in the T&C's, you get the platinum benefits just by being a platinum cardholder, but not necessarily need to have used the plat for the purchase.. anyone read it this way?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 3:12 pm

Programs: CX*GO, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by mase
From what I read in the T&C's, you get the platinum benefits just by being a platinum cardholder, but not necessarily need to have used the plat for the purchase.. anyone read it this way?
I don't think it would apply to purchase protection benefits. AFAIK, at least for US and Canada, you need to put the purchase on your Amex to qualify (here in Canada they'd ask for your Amex statement for that month as proof). In some markets (e.g. Hong Kong and to an extent UK), they do offer travel insurance to plats and cents cardholders and families without requiring you to pay the trip on those cards, but that's something else entirely.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 3:27 pm

Why would you think this? The coverage is given to the account. Each card is a unique Amex Account.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Neal
Amex doubles the manufacturer's warranty.
Originally Posted by Drummer
I believe they double it only up to one additional year. For example, if manufacturer's warranty is 2 years, you get a total of 3 years (rather than 4).
That's a good point, since many people tend to use the phrase "double the warranty". AmEx uses "extend the warranty": "Extended Warranty can extend the terms of the...warranty for up to one additional year on eligible purchases with warranties of 5 years or less..."

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...-warranty.html
Old Sep 15, 2012, 6:31 pm
Original Member

It extends the warranty of things you purchase with the card, not on everything in your household.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.