Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Centurion Card benefits in Taiwan

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA UA DL AS CXDM JL NH Hilton Hyatt Marriott SPG IHG
I travel to Taiwan a lot. Also would be interested to find out what benefits are specific to Taiwan Cent. Anybody willing to share?

I heard Taiwan Cent does not get CX DM and SPG Gold as the IDC Cent. Not sure if it is true.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward
Even still, this is a major advancement. Acquiring OWE on any OW carrier involves (mostly) a fair amount of expenditure (and varying amounts of travel - some of which is non-trivial). Much more than the annual fee for Centurion. For that reason, I'm a little skeptical (per the previous poster). CX would be forking out for all the OWE FC lounge access of every Centurion card holder world wide...
I've seen AA EXP by mileage running for $2,900. Now, with EXP, you get 8 SWU's. Valuing the SWU's at $100 each brings down the cost to $2,100. Cent Annual Fee is $2500.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by AmexCent
I travel to Taiwan a lot. Also would be interested to find out what benefits are specific to Taiwan Cent. Anybody willing to share?

I heard Taiwan Cent does not get CX DM and SPG Gold as the IDC Cent. Not sure if it is true.
Most benefits requires you to call the Taiwan Centurion member line to use them, they will ask you for the first 6 digits of your Card number to determinate where your card was issue. You can get 4 hours of free parking at the breeze center if you present your card but if you want VIP access, your first 6 digits on your card need to match the number they issue for Taiwan Centurion card.

We do not get CX DM, SPG Gold only the Diamond HHonors and Platinum at Inter-Continental.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 5:31 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Two threads discussing Centurion Taiwan have been consolidated.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 2:24 am

Anyone transfer from hk/sing or us centurion to Taiwan centurion? Currently I am living in hk and thinking of retiring to Taiwan. I see that the annual fee in actually higher in Taiwan versus hk. If the benefits are the same I guess I can keep the hk one and pay the fx fee if I need to. Too bad only the us centurion has the fx fees waived.
Old May 27, 2016, 3:56 am

Do you get Delta Platinum medallion if you have a Taiwan centurion black card?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Considering doing a global card transfer to Taiwan, even though it is basically a separate account as I get to keep my card in the US. Does anyone know what the benefits in Taiwan is for this Amex? What do they offer in lieu of Hilton Diamond and Delta Platinum? Cathay Status? EVA? Mandarin Oriental?

Also is the 160,000 initiation fee still waived for global card transfer?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by cce5858
Considering doing a global card transfer to Taiwan, even though it is basically a separate account as I get to keep my card in the US. Does anyone know what the benefits in Taiwan is for this Amex? What do they offer in lieu of Hilton Diamond and Delta Platinum? Cathay Status? EVA? Mandarin Oriental?

Also is the 160,000 initiation fee still waived for global card transfer?

Hilton Diamond and China Airline Emerald Status for three years.
Old May 29, 2019, 9:25 am

Taiwan EVA Platinum cardholder here. Can anybody share some of the key benefits of the Taiwan Centurion card in 2019 vs. the Platinum card? I've heard fitness club access at a couple of hotels, and access to EVA Garden lounge when flying economy. Wondering what additional benefits might make it worth pursuing.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 1:02 am

I passed by today and got intrigued. Wondering if anyone accessed to the club recently (November 2021) ? Is it a good place to socialize?
Old Nov 25, 2021, 6:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by claimui
Taiwan EVA Platinum cardholder here. Can anybody share some of the key benefits of the Taiwan Centurion card in 2019 vs. the Platinum card? I've heard fitness club access at a couple of hotels, and access to EVA Garden lounge when flying economy. Wondering what additional benefits might make it worth pursuing.
I would be surprised to see Centurion card holder flying economy class.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 1:57 am

Programs: EVA
I struggled to find any up-to-date info on the Taiwan Centurion so thought I would post here.

Firstly initiation fee is still NT$160k plus $160k annual fee. I tried to to get the initiation fee waived but it seems to be impossible.

I wanted to keep my Eva platinum, CX Elite credit and business gold - my rep informed me that the charges for all of these can be waived. This could possible increase the value proposition for some people as I am currently paying NT$44k/year annual fees across these 3 cards.

There are not many hard benefits over the Amex plat in Taiwan (not very impressive considering the Taiwan platinum is twice the annual fee of a US card with very few benefits). I don't live in Taipei which restricts my options even further. Main benefit is free access to health clubs in several 5 star hotels. In central Taiwan that includes the Lin which I think is a $50k-60k annual value and I would definitely use this perk. Not much else to speak of that's not available with a regular plat.

One nice thing about the Taiwan Centurion is you get 3 additional cards for family members that are full fat metal cards with same perks as the main card. So if your whole family uses the fitness clubs/pools that could be a big deal.

About the invitation process, I was invited about 5 years ago and actually declined as I was very busy with work and didn't think I would get much value out of the card at that time. The rep personally came to my home to discuss benefits of the Centurion, he was very knowledgeable and not pushy at all. Even though I never ended up taking up the offer to join Centurion he made sure I was aware of some great mileage deals I hadn't noticed on my CX card. He also brought a small gift, I think it was a bottle of whisky or tea set.

Just for reference I spend around US$35k/month across my Amex cards for personal transactions and about the same again for business (this is an important point which I'll come back to shortly...)

This year I was expecting to increase my Amex spend and finally resume traveling so I got back in touch with my rep who advised that my invitation was still open. The rep came to my office to complete the application. Amex wanted to see either proof of assets or tax returns showing at least NT$6m income for the last year.

Here's where it gets frustrating.. after all this I was soft declined for Centurion!! When I say soft declined I mean that Amex didn't say no outright, but they want to look at my transaction history in detail over the coming 6 months before making a final decision. The sticking point is that I used to have all my personal and business transactions go through the same cards. Amex had asked me to split my business charges onto a business card some months ago and this was the sticking point. Apparently Centurion are only interested in cardholders who can meet the spending requirements through mostly travel and luxury purchases, not business transactions. I easily meet the spending requirement for personal charges so maybe I will try again in 6 months but still it's pretty frustrating to be invited and go through some hoops without a positive outcome.

So if you are interested in being invited and accepted for Centurion take note that you will need to split your obvious business purchases and charge at least NT$6-7m per year on your personal card. I'm not sure exactly how they determine which charges are "business" but in my case for example they didn't want to see large payments to shipping couriers or PayPal (latter is annoying as I use PayPal to make some large purchases for my personal hobbies).
imnotalawyer likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by llary
There are not many hard benefits over the Amex plat in Taiwan (not very impressive considering the Taiwan platinum is twice the annual fee of a US card with very few benefits).
For most people, I expect the biggest value of the Taiwan Platinum card comes from the dining discounts (especially given the current travel restrictions). Just a couple times a month should be enough to break even on the annual fee. Authorized users can get these discounts too.

We use the dining discounts several times a week, so obviously it is a much better value to us (and a much more interesting benefit) than the US card.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 5:36 pm

Programs: Amex Personal Centurion, Amex Business Centurion(cancelled), Merril+, CitiGold, JP Morgan Palladium
Benefits for travelers with US Centurion

Are any benefits available for US Centurion card holders traveling to Taiwan? Just wondering since may be going there to visit.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 11:12 pm

Programs: EVA
Originally Posted by claimui
For most people, I expect the biggest value of the Taiwan Platinum card comes from the dining discounts (especially given the current travel restrictions). Just a couple times a month should be enough to break even on the annual fee. Authorized users can get these discounts too.

We use the dining discounts several times a week, so obviously it is a much better value to us (and a much more interesting benefit) than the US card.
The dining benefits are great but often hard for me to use outside of Taipei. The point is they are not specific to Centurion, you could get the same benefits for $8k/yr with a platinum credit card.

Last edited by llary; Aug 23, 2022 at 9:35 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.