Best place to transfer Amex points in Canada?

Old Oct 3, 2011, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aeroplan, amex, priority club
Best place to transfer Amex points in Canada?

have 37, 000 amex points in canada , was gonna transfer them over to aeroplan , just wanna know if anything else is out there that i dont see thats best to maybe transfer them to
Old Oct 3, 2011, 9:03 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Marriott Titanium, KF Gold
transfer to my aeroplan account
Old Oct 4, 2011, 8:18 pm

Programs: AC 75K
AP is the best value. Whatever you do, do not transfer to HHonors. Worst.Conversion.Ever.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 9:24 pm

Sadly, in Canada, Aeroplan is the only real option. Every so often there may be a Delta promo giving some bonus but even then Aeroplan is usually still the only real option.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 5:39 pm

delete

Last edited by jasonkevin77; Aug 16, 2019 at 9:55 am Reason: delete
Old Feb 21, 2012, 6:38 pm

Best Conversion for Amex Points in CANADA

I just realized that Amex has pretty bad conversions. Aeroplan got severely devalued, Alitalia and Avios are not at 1:1, Asia Miles I think has pretty bad redemption levels...?
What should I transfer to? Or should I just leave the points? I might be planning some travel but I already have other FF points to use so whether I transfer is not really an issue...
Old Feb 21, 2012, 7:17 pm

Unless you're planning to close your AMEX account, suggest hanging tight till you need to claim an award. Transfers to Aeroplan are instantaneous so that helps.

There's little upside to transfering ahead of needing the points unless you're taking advantage of an attractive transfer bonus. 20 ~ 25% bonus with Aeroplan seems to happen once or twice a year however there's usually a cap on how many you can transfer. Bonuses with Delta are also fairly common.

One word of caution is that transfer ratios and partners are subject to change (usually for the worse).

Hope that helps!
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:27 pm

MR Worth More for Transfers in US vs Canada?!

I was just looking at other possible transfers for my MR besides AE or BA (like to a hotel programs and other airlines) and was shocked to find that not only are there waaaay less transfer options for us Canadian Amex Gold cardholders, but that the transfer ratios are less favorable! I was already bummed that Americans get much higher sign-up bonuses! Now they can get more for their transfers on top of that!? Yeah, I am jealous!

HH (1:1.5), Skymiles (1:1), Asia Miles (1:1) - all better transfer ratios than in Canada. The only exception was SPG - that seems to be worse in the US. I can see why Americans love their SPG cards - seems to be much better value when you compare the SPG Amex with the Amex Gold.

There also seems to be a loophole when transferring MRs to Virgin Atlantic Flying Club points, as those 1:1 transfers can then be transferred to HH at a 1:2 ratio (seems those points that have been transferred from another program are fair game to be re-transferred!). Ah...too bad us Canadians cannot transfer MRs to Virgin Atlantic.

Will likely be transferring points mostly to BA and maybe AE, but wondering if any other Canadians have a lucrative transfers/redemptions they want to share?

Last edited by pokee; Nov 10, 2012 at 10:33 pm
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:27 am

Programs: CX*GO, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by lan0172
Unless you're planning to close your AMEX account, suggest hanging tight till you need to claim an award. Transfers to Aeroplan are instantaneous so that helps.
+1. MR points last forever but not FF miles.

Originally Posted by lan0172
There's little upside to transfering ahead of needing the points unless you're taking advantage of an attractive transfer bonus. 20 ~ 25% bonus with Aeroplan seems to happen once or twice a year
If you can think of 1W airlines to spend these with, BA Avios also offers lucrative (50%) bonuses every now and then.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:31 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
AMEX Gold Canada

Hi everyone,

I just received my Gold card in Canada, I looked into the transfer rate to the FFP and majority of them are 1 : 0.75 ratio, except for AC, BA and HHPoints. Which program has the best value? and does AMEX Canada run Promos often (such as the 50% bonus from BA transfer). Would like to hear from everyone
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:17 pm

It's up to you, and your home base, destination and preference

I have tons of AMEX MR and my real options are, to diversify
1. Aeroplan - hopefully 20-25% bonus at least once in 2013
Real useful for *A redemptions, especially Mini-RTW, hopefully on no-YQ airlines
Still beats Avios in general routes & availability I'd say, at least to Asia (where Avios is difficult on CX YYZ-HKG)

2. BA Avios - twice a year you get 50% transfer bonus. It's up to you where you fly with Avios on American Airline (Google around, The Points Guy has blogs on it and RedFlagDeal too)

btw, if you only have 15-20K MR on your Gold, it makes no big difference really
I'd do 50% to Avios (30K Avios is more useful than 20~24K Aeroplan), unless you already have Aeroplan and is short on rewards
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:41 pm

Think about where you want to travel.

I was going to put everything into AP, but with the current promotion with BA Avios, it took me 30K MR to have 45K Avios for 3 flights that would have been otherwise 60K MR for 60K AP (1 flight = 15K Avios or 20K AP). So, in MR it cost me half to fly through BA Avios, but the fees are about $100 more with BA than AC. It all depends on where you want to fly.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by jerryhung
It's up to you, and your home base, destination and preference

I have tons of AMEX MR and my real options are, to diversify
1. Aeroplan - hopefully 20-25% bonus at least once in 2013
Real useful for *A redemptions, especially Mini-RTW, hopefully on no-YQ airlines
Still beats Avios in general routes & availability I'd say, at least to Asia (where Avios is difficult on CX YYZ-HKG)

2. BA Avios - twice a year you get 50% transfer bonus. It's up to you where you fly with Avios on American Airline (Google around, The Points Guy has blogs on it and RedFlagDeal too)

btw, if you only have 15-20K MR on your Gold, it makes no big difference really
I'd do 50% to Avios (30K Avios is more useful than 20~24K Aeroplan), unless you already have Aeroplan and is short on rewards
I've read "The Points Guy" Article, and it looks like that BA points are more value in short distance Canada/US on AA, some intra Euro trips travel and partners award such as Aer L and CX in Asia. If BA does the 50% twice a year, then I am more likely to go with them because I will be moving to HKG very soon.

One more question, If I get a HKG Amex is it possible to transfer my MR points to my BA account along with my Canadian BA card?
Old Mar 14, 2013, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by erik19283
Think about where you want to travel.

I was going to put everything into AP, but with the current promotion with BA Avios, it took me 30K MR to have 45K Avios for 3 flights that would have been otherwise 60K MR for 60K AP (1 flight = 15K Avios or 20K AP). So, in MR it cost me half to fly through BA Avios, but the fees are about $100 more with BA than AC. It all depends on where you want to fly.
If you fly BOS-DUB on Aer Lingus it will cost $100 fee for 25,000 Avios RT. But you will have to call BA to book that.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by J_rob129
I've read "The Points Guy" Article, and it looks like that BA points are more value in short distance Canada/US on AA, some intra Euro trips travel and partners award such as Aer L and CX in Asia. If BA does the 50% twice a year, then I am more likely to go with them because I will be moving to HKG very soon.

One more question, If I get a HKG Amex is it possible to transfer my MR points to my BA account along with my Canadian BA card?
HKG is big CX hub and I'd definitely go for Avios
HKG-TPE is only 4500 one-way too + $40 CAD tax

Not sure about transferring HK AMEX MR, I'd think not, but look up their website to see if they have BA as transfer partner
If they do, and you get some HK AMEX MR, of course you can transfer to same BA Avios account I'd think

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.