Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions for this little old lady

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:39 am
Original Poster

I have had AE Hilton Hhonors for years. Due to age, don't travel as much as I would like to so the points are of no use like before.

I'm thinking of a cash back AE card. I spend about $2000 a month (use it for bills and so on) on it and pay off the balance each and every month. I have near perfect credit. Also have retirement with Fidelity if that is useful

I look thru all of these posts but do find myself getting confused on quite a bit of it. You good folks helped me before with airline stuff and thought you could help me again.

Just want to get the most cash back that I can. Thanks again team.

Melanie

One other thing, I am at Gold status on Hilton Hhonors

Last edited by mia; Dec 12, 2012 at 10:45 am
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:55 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Inasmuch as you are already a Fidelity customer I would compare their cash back credit cards to the cards issued by American Express.

One of Fidelity's cards is an Amex-network product which pay 2% cash back on everything. It is issued by FIA (a division of Bank of America). American Express does not service the account.

I suggest you begin here:

https://www.fidelity.com/cash-manage...-express-cards
Old Dec 12, 2012, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Thank you.

If AE doesn't service, does that mean I won't get all of AE services that I get on our current card? Not a fan of B of A at all. Our great-grand daughter had such problems with them so left a bad taste.

Forgive if I ask silly questions. Just want to get a good card with excellent cash back. Willing to look anywhere.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 4:18 pm
mia

You would not have any contact with American Express if you opt for the Fidelity card. If you want a card issued by American Express it would be this one:

The Blue Cash Everyday Card

Get 3% cash back at U.S. stand-alone supermarkets, 2% cash back on gasoline at U.S. stand-alone gas stations, 2% cash back at select major department stores; and 1% cash back on other purchases. Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed as a statement credit. The first $6,000 of purchases at U.S. stand-alone supermarkets in a calendar year qualifies for 3% cash back; 1% thereafter
You might average 2% with this card, depending on your spending mix. The $6,000 cap on supermarket purchases could be a problem, that's about $115 per week.

There is another version of this card with higher rewards but also an annual fee. I don't think it's worthwhile at your spending level, but others would disagree.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Thank you Mia.

Was reading on here (couldn't sleep last night) and saw a mention of the Costco card. Would this be similar to this Blue cash card as far as money back? (with what I spend monthly)
Old Dec 13, 2012, 7:26 am
mia

It depends on your spending mix:

Earn 3% cash back on gasoline at U.S. stand-alone gas stations, including at Costco, for purchases up to $4,000 per year (1% thereafter), 2% cash back at U.S. restaurants, 2% cash back on eligible travel purchases, and 1% cash back on other purchases, including at Costco. Cash back is earned only on eligible purchases. You will receive your cash back in the form of an annual reward coupon.2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.