Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 29, 11, 11:06 am   #1
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GGG, DFW, IAH
Posts: 282
What stores are supermarkets for AmEx Blue Cash Preferred?

Sorry if this is a wrong forum, but I cannot find anything meaningful going by a Search function and I though this forum will have the most knowledgeable audience as far as the question:

Blue Cash PreferredSM from American Express provides 6% for purchases at "supermarkets" with only definition in Terms and Conditions "6% for eligible purchases at supermarkets (excluding superstores and warehouse clubs)". So in reality what major stores are supermarkets but not superstores?

What about Walmart, Target and Kohl's for example? Are any of these supermarkets but not superstores?
LongviewTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 11, 12:01 pm   #2
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; HH & SPG Gold
Posts: 21,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongviewTX View Post
what major stores are supermarkets but not superstores?
Supermarkets are firms which primarily sell groceries such as:

Kroger, Safeway, SuperValu, Publix, A&P, Albertsons, Whole Foods, etc. The stores you mentioned do sell groceries, but that is not their primary business, and they are not classified as supermarkets for credit card transaction processing purposes.
mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 11, 1:41 pm   #3
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GGG, DFW, IAH
Posts: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia View Post
Supermarkets are firms which primarily sell groceries such as:

Kroger, Safeway, SuperValu, Publix, A&P, Albertsons, Whole Foods, etc. The stores you mentioned do sell groceries, but that is not their primary business, and they are not classified as supermarkets for credit card transaction processing purposes.
I'm now even more confused. Some American Express cards (e.g American Express Premier Rewards Gold) have a bonus spending category called "groceries" while others (e.g. American Express Blue Cash) have a bonus spending category called "supermarkets" but based on your answer it seems like that "groceries"="supermarkets".

Why don't just make things simpler and call same things universally? Is that a marketing trick of some kind? Making people think that cards have somewhat different bonus categories when in fact they don't?

Or am I just missing something?
LongviewTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 11, 1:51 pm   #4
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; HH & SPG Gold
Posts: 21,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongviewTX View Post
... it seems like that "groceries"="supermarkets".
Groceries is a category of merchandise. A supermarket is a type of store. The bonus is determined by where you shop, not by what you buy.
mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 11, 4:56 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 68
This can be a bit tricky and it depends on the each individual store. Some stores, it can even depend on how each register is programmed.

I know for my local Raley's, it did not count as 'supermarket'.
Mediahound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 11, 5:28 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GGG, DFW, IAH
Posts: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia View Post
Groceries is a category of merchandise. A supermarket is a type of store. The bonus is determined by where you shop, not by what you buy.
I understand that and the generic idea that it only matters how a particular store was coded in the application to the payment processing network (AmEx in this case). What I'm pointing out is an apparent inconsistency in marketing between different AmEx cards:

Premier Rewards Gold Card: X2 on groceries, where "groceries" purchases are described as follows "charges at U.S. stand alone ... supermarkets are eligible for bonus points."

Blue Cash Preferred: 6% cash back at supermarkets where "supermarkets" purchases are described as "eligible purchases at supermarkets (excluding superstores and warehouse clubs)"

So at the end of the day X2 on PRG and 6% for Blue Cash Preferred is earned at the exactly same stores even though in one case it's marketed as "groceries" and in other case as "supermarkets". Confusing...
LongviewTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 11, 5:52 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: AS MVP; AA GLD
Posts: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongviewTX View Post
I understand that and the generic idea that it only matters how a particular store was coded in the application to the payment processing network (AmEx in this case). What I'm pointing out is an apparent inconsistency in marketing between different AmEx cards:

Premier Rewards Gold Card: X2 on groceries, where "groceries" purchases are described as follows "charges at U.S. stand alone ... supermarkets are eligible for bonus points."

Blue Cash Preferred: 6% cash back at supermarkets where "supermarkets" purchases are described as "eligible purchases at supermarkets (excluding superstores and warehouse clubs)"

So at the end of the day X2 on PRG and 6% for Blue Cash Preferred is earned at the exactly same stores even though in one case it's marketed as "groceries" and in other case as "supermarkets". Confusing...
It's probably just a semantical difference, I don't know if AMEX has the ability to group merchants in the way to differentiate "grocery" from "supermarket." They probably are just using the merchant category code which would show up as "groceries;" stores like Costco, etc. show up as a different code, which is how they're able to be excluded from the PR Gold's bonus. I've recieved bonus points for shopping at liquor stores who bill under the "groceries" category.

Your best bet would probably be to inquire using a secured message.
Aaron01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 11, 7:15 pm   #8
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; HH & SPG Gold
Posts: 21,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongviewTX View Post
So at the end of the day X2 on PRG and 6% for Blue Cash Preferred is earned at the exactly same stores ...
Correct. There's nothing devious here. All of the other major rewards card issuers employ copywriters who sometimes use "groceries" or "supermarkets" as shorthand for "transactions at merchants who primarily sell groceries".
mia is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:55 pm.