Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Mercedes Benz AMEX co-branded cards, [discontinued January 2019].

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: krazykanuck
Existing Benz Platinum cards will be converted to regular Platinum cards on Jan. 11, 2019 per a letter sent to all cardholders.

The Platinum Card from American Express Exclusively for Mercedes-Benz

60,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $5,000 in purchases in the first three months
$550 Annual Fee, not waived

https://www262.americanexpress.com/dapply/partner/preacq/mbz/mbz-019/carddetails#/cshop
__________________________________________________ _____________

[EXPIRED]75K special offer:

https://www262.americanexpress.com/a...card/012/16580

See published restrictions below. #1 is enforced. #2 is not:
  1. Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
  2. This offer is not valid for existing Platinum Card Members from American Express. You are eligible to receive points for only one Card account.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2011, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver

Anyone else see this?

https://www.mbfs.com/mbfsr/en/misc/creditCard.do

They actually both seem like a pretty good deal to me if you are already driving or planning on buying/leasing a MB.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 7:31 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Interesting find ^.

I am not able to load the application page for the Platinum card. All links leads to the application for the credit card. However, there are two things about the Platinum Card ad copy which might be a preview of changes coming to all USA-issued Platinum cards:

1. Annual fee is $475 rather than $450. I would not be surprised to see an annual fee increase to offset the foreign transaction fee waiver.

2. American Airlines lounge access is not mentioned in the text of the main ad, although still in footnote. De-emphasis of AA ties in with discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...oing-away.html

Last edited by mia; Aug 22, 2011 at 7:48 am
Old Aug 22, 2011, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by troyb
Anyone else see this?

They actually both seem like a pretty good deal to me if you are already driving or planning on buying/leasing a MB.
Yes, I just saw this on Facebook.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 8:24 am

Programs: AA Plat /KE mc/OZ Diamond /Marriott gold/ SPG gold
Mercedes-Benz American Express 2 different cards (MR points)

1) Platinum Card® from American Express
Exclusively for Mercedes-Benz

50,000 Membership Rewards bonus points
after $1,000 spend in the first three months6
Airport Club Access to lounges including
Delta Sky Club® and US Airways® Club7
$1,000 reward certificate good toward the
future purchase or lease of a new Mercedes-Benz8
Up to 2,000 excess miles waived at lease-end9
$100 annual reward certificate good toward
Genuine Mercedes-Benz Accessories10
Annual fee of $475

Earn Membership Rewards points
on your purchases11
5x POINTS ON ELIGIBLE MERCEDES-BENZ PURCHASES
1x POINTS ON EVERYTHING ELSE

2) Mercedes-Benz Credit Card
from American Express

5,000 Membership Rewards® bonus points
after your first purchase1
$500 reward certificate good toward the future
purchase or lease of a new Mercedes-Benz2
Up to 1,000 excess miles waived at lease-end3
$50 annual reward certificate good toward
Mercedes-Benz Accessories4
Annual fee of $95

Earn Membership Rewards points
on your purchases5
5x POINTS ON ELIGIBLE MERCEDES-BENZ PURCHASES
3x POINTS ON GAS
2x POINTS ON RESTAURANTS
1x POINTS ON EVERYTHING ELSE
Old Aug 22, 2011, 8:40 am

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold
structure & benefits look pretty similar, if not identical, to the AMEX Premier Rewards Gold and Platinum cards, just without an offer for first year fee waived for the PRG. Could be worth keeping track of as another signup bonus if they ever present better promos.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
Mercedes routinely runs promos/rebates and the T&C state that they cannot be combined. Sometimes $2-3k off invoice after these rebates so really depends on the model you're looking for.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:43 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
I was just about to get a Chase Sapph Pref for the 2x to use on dining and ability to transfer to CO miles. I already have PR Gold AMEX that I use for most my spend. The combination of the two seems like a great pair, since the gold didn't give bonus points for dining. I could care less about the mercedes perks, but the 3x on gas and 2x on dining pooled into the same rewards account as my PR Gold which is getting 2x groceries and 3x airlines is pretty sweet. ^

The 5k sign up bonus for the basic card is pretty weak though, compared to the 50k points on the Chase Sapph. What do you all think about the chances of the bonus going up to 25k+?

Edit:
Is it normal for their T&C explaining the bonus points earned for restaurant or gas to have bonus IDs associated with them?
5 points for every dollar of eligible purchases at authorized Mercedes-Benz dealerships, excluding monthly loan and lease payments,Bonus ID-5976; 3 points for every dollar of eligible purchases of automobile gasoline (individual purchases of $400 or less) at domestic stand-alone gas stations (excluding superstores, supermarkets, convenience stores and warehouse clubs,) Bonus ID-5978; 2 points for every dollar of eligible purchases at restaurants, Bonus ID-5979
Wonder what would happen if you called to try to add Bonus-ID 5979 to your PR Gold card

Last edited by roknroll; Aug 22, 2011 at 9:54 am
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:19 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Figures they do this 2 weeks after i bought a Benz, 5x points off the down payment charge would have been sweet
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:44 am

One major loss of benefit would be exclusion of AA Admiral clubs, all else very similar to other AMEX products.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:29 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
3x on gas and 2x on restaurants is a nice bump from the PR Gold, if you use it regularly for that. The PR Gold doesn't give any bonus for restaurants and only 2x for Gas.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:30 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by snshahmd
One major loss of benefit would be exclusion of AA Admiral clubs, all else very similar to other AMEX products.
No, Admiral Clubs are included, but there are no Priority Club access from what I can tell. Seems to be only Admiral, Delta and US Airways, and in case of Admiral and Delta you must travel on corresponding airline ticket. Still an interesting card, I guess.

------------
7. The Platinum Card® from American Express exclusively for Mercedes-Benz member must be traveling. Name on ticket must match name on the Mercedes-Benz Platinum Card. (Ticket not required for US Airways® Clubs.) The Mercedes-Benz Platinum Cardmember must be 18 years of age to enter the Airport Club Lounge without a parent or guardian for American Airlines Admirals Club® lounges. For Delta Sky club™ lounges the member must be 18 where there is no self-service bar. The Mercedes-Benz Platinum Cardmember must be 21 years of age to enter into all Airport Club Lounges where there is a self-service bar. Local age restrictions apply in non-U.S. locations. The Mercedes-Benz Platinum Cardmember's spouse and children under the age of 21 or up to two companions may enter the club as complimentary guests. Code-share and affiliated lounge agreements may not apply. Employee travel-related benefit tickets are not eligible with American Airlines. The Mercedes-Benz Platinum Cardmember must present his or her valid Card, government-issued I.D., and same day airline ticket to club agents. (Ticket not required for US Airways® Clubs.) Complimentary access is specifically for the airport club that corresponds to the airline operating the flight (access pertains to the aircraft, not the flight number) except with respect to American Airlines marketed code share flights with an American Airlines flight number which are also eligible for complimentary access to the lounge. Meeting rooms may be reserved for a nominal fee. Cardmembers must adhere to all house rules of participating clubs. For a list of participating airport club locations, call Platinum Member Services. Partners and locations subject to change.
--------------
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:30 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by roknroll
3x on gas and 2x on restaurants is a nice bump from the PR Gold, if you use it regularly for that. The PR Gold doesn't give any bonus for restaurants and only 2x for Gas.
oh, good call. i glanced over the list and only saw 3x, 2x, etc, and didn't focus on the categories too much.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 1:07 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Threads started by troyb and sunrider101 within 90 minutes of each other have been merged. Please scan the first dozen posts to review the early messages from both discussions.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Figures they do this 2 weeks after i bought a Benz, 5x points off the down payment charge would have been sweet
Yes, that would have been nice. However, MB dealers typically only let you charge a $1K-2K on a credit card. (At least that has been my experience so far.) That's still a good 10K MR points, but it's not >100K MR points as it may imply. So don't feel too bad on missing out.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 3:51 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold
Interesting find! I might switch to this after my free 1 year with PR Gold is up. I don't put any airfare on it, but use it all the time for restaurants and sometimes for gas. I'd love to earn 2x on Restaurants and 3x on Gas though! Though I don't see myself leasing a MB any time soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.