Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Mercedes Benz AMEX co-branded cards, [discontinued January 2019].

Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: krazykanuck
Existing Benz Platinum cards will be converted to regular Platinum cards on Jan. 11, 2019 per a letter sent to all cardholders.

The Platinum Card from American Express Exclusively for Mercedes-Benz

60,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $5,000 in purchases in the first three months
$550 Annual Fee, not waived

https://www262.americanexpress.com/dapply/partner/preacq/mbz/mbz-019/carddetails#/cshop
__________________________________________________ _____________

[EXPIRED]75K special offer:

https://www262.americanexpress.com/a...card/012/16580

See published restrictions below. #1 is enforced. #2 is not:
  1. Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
  2. This offer is not valid for existing Platinum Card Members from American Express. You are eligible to receive points for only one Card account.
Print Wikipost

Mercedes Benz AMEX co-branded cards, [discontinued January 2019].

Old Jul 8, 2017, 9:46 am

So I was the one who charged the entire purchase on the card.
The original dealership where I negotiated the price refused to charge more than $5K. Even offering to cover merchant fees did not help.
2 others refused as well.
One was very happy to do it.
BTW, the ones that refused were on the AmEx list, and the one that took it was not.
So I recommend contacting a few dealerships. I just chatted with them - a 3 min chat was enough to find out if there were interested or not. And you don't have to stay too close - you don't have to drive there, they'll bring it to you.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by stevento
So I was the one who charged the entire purchase on the card.
The original dealership where I negotiated the price refused to charge more than $5K. Even offering to cover merchant fees did not help.
2 others refused as well.
One was very happy to do it.
BTW, the ones that refused were on the AmEx list, and the one that took it was not.
So I recommend contacting a few dealerships. I just chatted with them - a 3 min chat was enough to find out if there were interested or not. And you don't have to stay too close - you don't have to drive there, they'll bring it to you.
how many dealers did you call?

Did you speak to sales or finance?

Was the one willing to put entire charge on Amex hours away from you (such that they deliver the Benz to you rather than you pick it up)?
Old Jul 8, 2017, 4:54 pm

I chatted with 3 dealers.
Not sure who was the one responding to the chat.
I had the car and the price - I explained that in the chat that was the deal I wanted.
2 said no.
The third one said absolutely. In the end, they got me a different car with more options (that I didn't necessarily want, but sure) for the same price.
It was about an hour away from me. I asked if it could be delivered and they said yes. I literally did not speak face to face to another human being through the whole process until one was at my door step with car keys.
The experience was magical I deal with people all day, and try keep my non-work related interpersonal interactions to a minimum.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 2:39 am

I chatted with 3 dealers.
Not sure who was the one responding to the chat.
I had the car and the price - I explained that in the chat that was the deal I wanted.
2 said no.
The third one said absolutely. In the end, they got me a different car with more options (that I didn't necessarily want, but sure) for the same price.
It was about an hour away from me. I asked if it could be delivered and they said yes. I literally did not speak face to face to another human being through the whole process until one was at my door step with car keys.
The experience was magical I deal with people all day, and try keep my non-work related interpersonal interactions to a minimum.

sounds like you were doing online chats with some agents who might or might not be someone who actually work on site at the dealership.

i think you are extremely lucky to find a dealer who is willing to work like that. I doubt we would find a MB dealership who would deal like that in a major city like where we are in Los Angeles.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 6:07 am

People who I chatted with worked at the dealerships.

I would think it's easier to do it in a major city, strictly due to competition. I was in LA last weekend and passed through at least a dozen dealerships. One of them is bound to be interested.

FWIW, I'm in NY, which I would consider a major city.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:48 pm

I am giving up on finding a Mercedes dealership that lets me put the entire purchase on amex card.

I just received $1000 MB voucher, and I am heading to the dealer next weekend to use it (after getting the discount, of course).
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:28 am

That's incredible. How many have you contacted?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:04 pm

That's incredible. How many have you contacted?
I contacted quite a few before i gave up.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:11 pm

went to get my $100 worth of MB stuff today, before the coupon expired. Honestly, not much to choose from. Ended up with a shirt for my son and a hat for the beach. Some strange key rings were also there to chose from. Sat in the Mercedes 300 C Class sedan; what a lovely car...

Surprised the salesman didn't know anything about the certificate, but the people in the Parts department did....
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by lbotez
went to get my $100 worth of MB stuff today, before the coupon expired. Honestly, not much to choose from. Ended up with a shirt for my son and a hat for the beach. Some strange key rings were also there to chose from. Sat in the Mercedes 300 C Class sedan; what a lovely car...

Surprised the salesman didn't know anything about the certificate, but the people in the Parts department did....
look up the catalogue online, and give the parts dept the item numbers.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by lbotez

I'd say skip that part of the store and lookup the accessory parts on MBUSA and go from there... The keychains and stuff aren't all that useful, but stuff like Trunk Liners or Roof Racks or Floor Mats may be more useful to you. I'd say they are generally overpriced, but with $100 off they can become a lot better. Also you should be able to combine them with coupons from your dealer if they have them when you're looking as the certificate is paid to them by MBusa as a check payment and not a "discount".

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/accessories
Old Feb 5, 2018, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by truptravels
Are there any new data points on if persons are getting the points even if they have another non-MB platinum card?
My wife has the personal plat card and the annual fee just hit and i would like to get this bonus and then cancel the personal platinum. Will that work? I have the business plat and would like to do the same thing, will it work as well?
Also, the regular MB card interests me just to have the low annual fee, get 10k bonus points and move my 300k point stash to in order to avoid the $550 annual fee on the personal or business platinum. Does the regular MB card allow the movement or points to all the normal MR partners?
Thanks!
I'm also curious if there's any new/recent data points on this. I currently have the MB Plat, but if a 100k offer comes up on the regular personal Plat, I would cancel the MB and get the regular for the sign-up bonus.

Last edited by seetohey; Feb 5, 2018 at 7:30 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by seetohey
I'm also curious if there's any new/recent data points on this. I currently have the MB Plat, but if a 100k offer comes up on the regular personal Plat, I would cancel the MB and get the regular for the sign-up bonus.
Each version of the Plat is considered a different product; thus, you can receive the sign-up bonus on each.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/diffe...platinum-card/
Old Feb 6, 2018, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Each version of the Plat is considered a different product; thus, you can receive the sign-up bonus on each.
Someone posted in the comments section (Bobby) just a few days ago in that doctorofcredit link that they did not receive the sign-up bonus because presumably they already had the regular Plat. I also watched one of the Ask Sebby Youtube videos and in the comments Sebby noted that he's never heard of anyone having issues getting the SUB when going from regular -> cobrand, but he has heard of people going from a cobrand plat to regular of not receiving the SUB.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 9:57 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by seetohey
... did not receive the sign-up bonus because presumably they already had the regular Plat.....
Customer service agents at all mass market companies invent plausible "explanations" for actions that they do not understand. It could be true that holding one type of Platinum card disallows a bonus for another type, but there is ample evidence that these are separate products, and the offer terms only refer to this product:

Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
American Express could easily write terms to cross reference other Platinum charge cards, and at one time they did (see Wikipost), but not today.

Last edited by mia; Feb 6, 2018 at 10:10 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.