Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Mercedes Benz AMEX co-branded cards, [discontinued January 2019].

Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: krazykanuck
Existing Benz Platinum cards will be converted to regular Platinum cards on Jan. 11, 2019 per a letter sent to all cardholders.

The Platinum Card from American Express Exclusively for Mercedes-Benz

60,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $5,000 in purchases in the first three months
$550 Annual Fee, not waived

https://www262.americanexpress.com/dapply/partner/preacq/mbz/mbz-019/carddetails#/cshop
__________________________________________________ _____________

[EXPIRED]75K special offer:

https://www262.americanexpress.com/a...card/012/16580

See published restrictions below. #1 is enforced. #2 is not:
  1. Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
  2. This offer is not valid for existing Platinum Card Members from American Express. You are eligible to receive points for only one Card account.
Print Wikipost

Mercedes Benz AMEX co-branded cards, [discontinued January 2019].

Old Dec 23, 2011, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by londonfin
Thanks for the quick reply. Narrowing down our choices but looking like an ML. Once we lock in that is will be a MB am I best to convert my personal Plat to a MB one (don't think I get any bonus MR points this way) or is there a better way for me to do this. CUrrently I have primary Plat AMEX and wife has a secondary Gold on the account she rarely uses and could drop. If we go this route I want to do it in the best way.
DO NOT convert--- cncl ur current plat ( will get a pro rate refund) get the apply for mb plat with 50k MR points --or apply first mb and then cncl
Old Dec 23, 2011, 7:18 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Citi Chairman, DL, AA, CO, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, VS, MC, Discover
Originally Posted by SPLP007
DO NOT convert--- cncl ur current plat ( will get a pro rate refund) get the apply for mb plat with 50k MR points --or apply first mb and then cncl
So the MR bonus is "per new card" rather than once per person, no matter if multiple cards? Thanks for the info as that pays for the first year's fee right there.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 1:42 pm

So the MR bonus is "per new card" rather than once per person, no matter if multiple cards? Thanks for the info as that pays for the first year's fee right there.
AMEX treats the MB Platinum as a distinct product from the traditional Platinum you currently hold. Generally, the rule is one bonus per card type (i.e. Platinum, PRG, etc) per person, though the specifics differ and are set by the terms pertaining to each application (which you should read before applying, of course).

In this case, you should be eligible for the MB Platinum bonus, regardless of whether you've received the traditional Platinum bonus already.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 12:29 am

I have not heard of "any" who had orig plat that did not get the 50k on mb plat.BUT !must apply ----not switch or upgrade
Old Dec 26, 2011, 7:34 am

Has anyone had issues getting the $100 Accessory Certificate? Have had my Amex MB Pletinum for almost 4 months and not received. Have contacted Amex as well as MB a number of times. They have apologized, sent a second $1000 Cert. and last week called me to tell me they had solved the issue and the cert would be here last week.

Guess what, no Cert!. Going to call tomorrow but, this is absurd. The have me in the system yet are unable to put a simple piece of paper in the mail to me.

Also, we tried to get Cruise Privileges added to a reservation and received a response that my card wasn't set up for that. Took my TA several calls to Amex to get my card fixed. Have been with Amex for over 40 years and never had such issues. Anyone have a good number to call to fix this mess.

Thanks,

Dave
Old Dec 26, 2011, 8:24 am

Programs: A few
I used the card at my local MB dealer to pay for my recent GL service. It is a big, fully fledged "official" MB dealer. Interestingly the 5x points did not post. I emailed CS and got some mumbo jumbo from someone in Far East call center but they did add the missing points as a "courtesy". But be sure to check as this was paying for a qualifying expense at a qualifying dealer and it did not post automatically.

On the plus side I like that MR posting is now at least in line with the statement period and not calendar month. That makes tracking the points far easier. Now that Amex MR is facing real competition from Chase UR, and indeed I would say has fallen behind already, maybe they will now go to posting as soon as statement clears rather than a month in arrears too
Old Dec 26, 2011, 8:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by rallydave
Has anyone had issues getting the $100 Accessory Certificate? Have had my Amex MB Pletinum for almost 4 months and not received. Have contacted Amex as well as MB a number of times. They have apologized, sent a second $1000 Cert. and last week called me to tell me they had solved the issue and the cert would be here last week.

Thanks,

Dave
Yes, I received the $100 accessory cert just fine. The only issue I have with this card is it is not "recognized" by Amex Travel / Trip It for the free Trip It Pro upgrade. It tries to charge me $35. I sent a SM to Amex and they responded with a $35 statement credit and did not look into why it is happening.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
I used the card at my local MB dealer to pay for my recent GL service. It is a big, fully fledged "official" MB dealer. Interestingly the 5x points did not post. I emailed CS and got some mumbo jumbo from someone in Far East call center but they did add the missing points as a "courtesy". But be sure to check as this was paying for a qualifying expense at a qualifying dealer and it did not post automatically.

On the plus side I like that MR posting is now at least in line with the statement period and not calendar month. That makes tracking the points far easier. Now that Amex MR is facing real competition from Chase UR, and indeed I would say has fallen behind already, maybe they will now go to posting as soon as statement clears rather than a month in arrears too
GOOD POINT --amex not like it once was --they are 2nd -it is a shame ---they do not even try to "catch up" forget about re gaining #1 -I AM WITH AMEX 40 YEARS , CHASE 20 --- CHASE WAS THE SLEEPING GIANT -BUT NO MORE
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rallydave

Guess what, no Cert!. Going to call tomorrow but, this is absurd. The have me in the system yet are unable to put a simple piece of paper in the mail to me.

Also, we tried to get Cruise Privileges added to a reservation and received a response that my card wasn't set up for that. Took my TA several calls to Amex to get my card fixed. Have been with Amex for over 40 years and never had such issues. Anyone have a good number to call to fix this mess.

Thanks,

Dave
None here. Received the cert about 3 weeks after receiving the card.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum, National Executive, IHG Platinum
From the thread it's pretty clear that I can cancel my regular Amex Plat. and get the 50k bonus for the MB Amex Plat. My question is, has anyone simultaneously held the regular Plat. and MB Plat.? I use the airline lounge feature extensively and would rather wait until the MB Plat. card shows up before canceling the regular Plat.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 1:07 pm

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
I've got both, one plat business, MB for personal
Old Jan 3, 2012, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum, National Executive, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Tim O'Brien
I've got both, one plat business, MB for personal
Thanks, that's definitely helpful, but being able to hold a business and personal version of the same card isn't normally a problem. My question is whether it's possible to hold personal versions of both the Plat. and MB Plat. cards simultaneously.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Nick207
Thanks, that's definitely helpful, but being able to hold a business and personal version of the same card isn't normally a problem. My question is whether it's possible to hold personal versions of both the Plat. and MB Plat. cards simultaneously.
call plat. 800 525 3355 tell them want to get mb plat because of the great benefits ( want to lease a mb etc.) , u now have a basic plat -- can u have 2 plat? at same time ( my guess is yes )-- if say yes ask to note ur acct.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA UA DL AS CXDM JL NH Hilton Hyatt Marriott SPG IHG
I cancelled reg Plat in last Sep, and applied for the MB Plat in Oct. At that time, the terms of the bonux 50000 MR points said CURRENT Plat holder not eligible, so that's why I canceled first. Double check with the T&C before you apply.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 6:59 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Citi Chairman, DL, AA, CO, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, VS, MC, Discover
I have had the personal plat for some time. Buying a MB so applied for (over the phone) and received the MB Plat personal card. Currently have both. Will plan to cancel the "old" one and keep the MB one. No problem getting both at same time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.