Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Mercedes Benz AMEX co-branded cards, [discontinued January 2019].

Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: krazykanuck
Existing Benz Platinum cards will be converted to regular Platinum cards on Jan. 11, 2019 per a letter sent to all cardholders.

The Platinum Card from American Express Exclusively for Mercedes-Benz

60,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $5,000 in purchases in the first three months
$550 Annual Fee, not waived

https://www262.americanexpress.com/dapply/partner/preacq/mbz/mbz-019/carddetails#/cshop
__________________________________________________ _____________

[EXPIRED]75K special offer:

https://www262.americanexpress.com/a...card/012/16580

See published restrictions below. #1 is enforced. #2 is not:
  1. Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
  2. This offer is not valid for existing Platinum Card Members from American Express. You are eligible to receive points for only one Card account.
Print Wikipost

Mercedes Benz AMEX co-branded cards, [discontinued January 2019].

Old Aug 31, 2011, 4:23 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Yea, digging around more and the perks are 100% identical to the plat card (priority pass, ge, no foreign fees, status with cars/hotels, lounge access, airline credit, etc etc etc), just with the added Mercedes bonus, and the higher fee
Old Aug 31, 2011, 4:26 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Yea, digging around more and the perks are 100% identical to the plat card (priority pass, ge, no foreign fees, status with cars/hotels, lounge access, airline credit, etc etc etc), just with the added Mercedes bonus, and the higher fee
$25 is pretty cheap for a $1000 discount on a new MB, $100 a year for accessories and up to 2000 xs lease miles (typically charged at 20cpm), as well as the 5x on whatever you can put on your card for acquisition.

COUNT ME IN!
Old Aug 31, 2011, 4:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
$25 is pretty cheap for a $1000 discount on a new MB, $100 a year for accessories and up to 2000 xs lease miles (typically charged at 20cpm), as well as the 5x on whatever you can put on your card for acquisition.

COUNT ME IN!
I agree!!!

I just bought a Benz last year so I won't be buying another one this year (or next), but I will pay the $25 extra for the $100 accessories certificate and the occasional 5x points on service when I have to take it in even though I try to avoid the dealer at all costs.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 4:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
If you are going with the "rolleyes" emoticon over a $25 fee increase to cover the additional benefits, why exactly, from what I can tell, were you literally almost the first person in line to obtain the card?! back at ya'

Regards
Old Aug 31, 2011, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
If you are going with the "rolleyes" emoticon over a $25 fee increase to cover the additional benefits, why exactly, from what I can tell, were you literally almost the first person in line to obtain the card?! back at ya'

Regards
Wasnt trying to say that the price is too much for what you get (quite the opposite, i LOVE the perks). was trying to be sarcastic that its 'that' much more. Hard to convey some types of humor online lol.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 5:39 pm

So i did just call in about the MR bonus for 'new' cards, specifically the 100k for 1k spend on a plat (or whatever the spend was). And the rep quoted me back the 1k credit for a new car with a 5k spend per year, telling me that because this is a merc card, its different then the plat and therefor not eligible for the MR bonus offers. I am not sure i believe that, will try again later this evening or tweet the question tomorrow when the twitter people get in to work.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
3X Mem pts for Gas Purchases

Does anyone know what the break even point for how much gas needs to be pruchased to justify the $95 annual fee?

Let's say I ONLY used this car for gas puchases. How much do you feel you would have to spend for start to justify the annual fee of $95?

Thanks

Tasnam
Old Sep 1, 2011, 6:17 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by tasnam
would have to spend for start to justify the annual fee of $95?
This is a simple arithmetic problem. You need to assign a value to the points, based on the way you redeem them. I assign $0.0225 because I redeem for transatlantic business class tickets, which makes the breakeven point $1,408. If you redeem for giftcards at $0.01 each the breakeven point would be $3,167.

If you assign a low value to Membership Rewards points you can do better with another card, see here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...purchases.html
Old Sep 1, 2011, 8:21 am

@AskAmex Courtney confirmed a 2nd time today that the MB Platinum indeed has all the benefits as the regular Platinum.

She also confirmed that Bonus ID 5748 for 100K MR points cannot be applied to that card.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 2:06 pm

Programs: WN A-list & CP, Delta GM
This is to assume that you use the M-B credit card instead of a non-annual fee card with zero rewards.

If you have a cash-back card that returns 1% for all purchases, the breakeven point is gonna be higher than $1,408 in your example. To be exact, you need A*3*0.0225-A*0.01=$95, i.e., A=$1,652. Of course, if you have Fidelity 2% Amex then, the breakeven point is gonna be even higher.

Originally Posted by mia
This is a simple arithmetic problem. You need to assign a value to the points, based on the way you redeem them. I assign $0.0225 because I redeem for transatlantic business class tickets, which makes the breakeven point $1,408. If you redeem for giftcards at $0.01 each the breakeven point would be $3,167.

If you assign a low value to Membership Rewards points you can do better with another card, see here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...purchases.html
Old Sep 1, 2011, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by r.brown
@AskAmex Courtney confirmed a 2nd time today that the MB Platinum indeed has all the benefits as the regular Platinum.

She also confirmed that Bonus ID 5748 for 100K MR points cannot be applied to that card.
Did you ask about any of the other MR bonus IDs? the 50k one? or is the card excluded from all? if she said one way or the other....
Old Sep 2, 2011, 5:40 am

Did you ask about any of the other MR bonus IDs? the 50k one? or is the card excluded from all? if she said one way or the other....
Nope, the MB Platinum by default comes with 50K. I was only asking about the 100K one.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 10:11 am

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
I am not very familiar with Amex so I apologize in advance if my questions are novice.

We have two Mercedes on leases coming up for renewal, want to lease two new Mercedes and I am trying to figure out the best strategy. I assume probably the best strategy is just to apply for 2x $475 cards. But is there any concept of a $175 per year second member on one of these cards? I don't see any mention of it, though above some people have said these are "just like" regular platinum cards which I know do have the $175 extra user feature.

But even if this feature were available on this card, what does an "extra user" get? Another $1,000 Mercedes certificate? That seems too good to be true. Before I pull the trigger on 2x $475 applications, just want to get a reality check on best strategy. Thank you!
Old Sep 3, 2011, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP , SPG PLT, AMEX PLAT, HERTZ PC,
I currently have 2 Mercedes but not under my name it is under my dad name if I switch over to this card would I be eligible for the 2000 over miles and the benefits for my car?
Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by r.brown
Nope, the MB Platinum by default comes with 50K. I was only asking about the 100K one.
Good to know, hope I get it for upgrading

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.