Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 31, 11, 4:23 pm   #46
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: MSP
Programs: SPG:Gold, Marriott: Gold, Hilton: Gold, DL:PM
Posts: 2,292
Yea, digging around more and the perks are 100% identical to the plat card (priority pass, ge, no foreign fees, status with cars/hotels, lounge access, airline credit, etc etc etc), just with the added Mercedes bonus, and the higher fee
xolinlevh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 11, 4:26 pm   #47
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: RDU
Programs: DL FO, AA LT PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Other Crap...
Posts: 5,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by xolinlevh View Post
Yea, digging around more and the perks are 100% identical to the plat card (priority pass, ge, no foreign fees, status with cars/hotels, lounge access, airline credit, etc etc etc), just with the added Mercedes bonus, and the higher fee
$25 is pretty cheap for a $1000 discount on a new MB, $100 a year for accessories and up to 2000 xs lease miles (typically charged at 20cpm), as well as the 5x on whatever you can put on your card for acquisition.

COUNT ME IN!
ma91pmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 11, 4:40 pm   #48
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Programs: US Chairman, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, National Executive Elite
Posts: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma91pmh View Post
$25 is pretty cheap for a $1000 discount on a new MB, $100 a year for accessories and up to 2000 xs lease miles (typically charged at 20cpm), as well as the 5x on whatever you can put on your card for acquisition.

COUNT ME IN!
I agree!!!

I just bought a Benz last year so I won't be buying another one this year (or next), but I will pay the $25 extra for the $100 accessories certificate and the occasional 5x points on service when I have to take it in even though I try to avoid the dealer at all costs.
r.brown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 11, 4:45 pm   #49
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: AUS
Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Posts: 2,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by xolinlevh View Post
Yea, digging around more and the perks are 100% identical to the plat card (priority pass, ge, no foreign fees, status with cars/hotels, lounge access, airline credit, etc etc etc), just with the added Mercedes bonus, and the higher fee
If you are going with the "rolleyes" emoticon over a $25 fee increase to cover the additional benefits, why exactly, from what I can tell, were you literally almost the first person in line to obtain the card?! back at ya'

Regards
scubadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 11, 5:14 pm   #50
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: MSP
Programs: SPG:Gold, Marriott: Gold, Hilton: Gold, DL:PM
Posts: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadu View Post
If you are going with the "rolleyes" emoticon over a $25 fee increase to cover the additional benefits, why exactly, from what I can tell, were you literally almost the first person in line to obtain the card?! back at ya'

Regards
Wasnt trying to say that the price is too much for what you get (quite the opposite, i LOVE the perks). was trying to be sarcastic that its 'that' much more. Hard to convey some types of humor online lol.
xolinlevh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 11, 5:39 pm   #51
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: MSP
Programs: SPG:Gold, Marriott: Gold, Hilton: Gold, DL:PM
Posts: 2,292
So i did just call in about the MR bonus for 'new' cards, specifically the 100k for 1k spend on a plat (or whatever the spend was). And the rep quoted me back the 1k credit for a new car with a 5k spend per year, telling me that because this is a merc card, its different then the plat and therefor not eligible for the MR bonus offers. I am not sure i believe that, will try again later this evening or tweet the question tomorrow when the twitter people get in to work.
xolinlevh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 11, 9:14 pm   #52
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Portland, Maine
Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
Posts: 987
3X Mem pts for Gas Purchases

Does anyone know what the break even point for how much gas needs to be pruchased to justify the $95 annual fee?

Let's say I ONLY used this car for gas puchases. How much do you feel you would have to spend for start to justify the annual fee of $95?

Thanks

Tasnam
tasnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 11, 6:17 am   #53
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; HH & SPG Gold
Posts: 20,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasnam View Post
would have to spend for start to justify the annual fee of $95?
This is a simple arithmetic problem. You need to assign a value to the points, based on the way you redeem them. I assign $0.0225 because I redeem for transatlantic business class tickets, which makes the breakeven point $1,408. If you redeem for giftcards at $0.01 each the breakeven point would be $3,167.

If you assign a low value to Membership Rewards points you can do better with another card, see here:

Best Credit Cards for Gasoline and/or Supermarket Purchases?
mia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 11, 8:21 am   #54
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Programs: US Chairman, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, National Executive Elite
Posts: 355
@AskAmex Courtney confirmed a 2nd time today that the MB Platinum indeed has all the benefits as the regular Platinum.

She also confirmed that Bonus ID 5748 for 100K MR points cannot be applied to that card.
r.brown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 11, 2:06 pm   #55
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: L.A.
Programs: WN A-list & CP, Delta GM
Posts: 417
This is to assume that you use the M-B credit card instead of a non-annual fee card with zero rewards.

If you have a cash-back card that returns 1% for all purchases, the breakeven point is gonna be higher than $1,408 in your example. To be exact, you need A*3*0.0225-A*0.01=$95, i.e., A=$1,652. Of course, if you have Fidelity 2% Amex then, the breakeven point is gonna be even higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia View Post
This is a simple arithmetic problem. You need to assign a value to the points, based on the way you redeem them. I assign $0.0225 because I redeem for transatlantic business class tickets, which makes the breakeven point $1,408. If you redeem for giftcards at $0.01 each the breakeven point would be $3,167.

If you assign a low value to Membership Rewards points you can do better with another card, see here:

Best Credit Cards for Gasoline and/or Supermarket Purchases?
leonard016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 11, 9:34 pm   #56
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: MSP
Programs: SPG:Gold, Marriott: Gold, Hilton: Gold, DL:PM
Posts: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.brown View Post
@AskAmex Courtney confirmed a 2nd time today that the MB Platinum indeed has all the benefits as the regular Platinum.

She also confirmed that Bonus ID 5748 for 100K MR points cannot be applied to that card.
Did you ask about any of the other MR bonus IDs? the 50k one? or is the card excluded from all? if she said one way or the other....
xolinlevh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 11, 5:40 am   #57
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Programs: US Chairman, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, National Executive Elite
Posts: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by xolinlevh View Post
Did you ask about any of the other MR bonus IDs? the 50k one? or is the card excluded from all? if she said one way or the other....
Nope, the MB Platinum by default comes with 50K. I was only asking about the 100K one.
r.brown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 11, 10:11 am   #58
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: San Francisco (Marin County), CA
Programs: UA Lifetime 1K, AA ExPlat 2012 & Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
Posts: 2,947
I am not very familiar with Amex so I apologize in advance if my questions are novice.

We have two Mercedes on leases coming up for renewal, want to lease two new Mercedes and I am trying to figure out the best strategy. I assume probably the best strategy is just to apply for 2x $475 cards. But is there any concept of a $175 per year second member on one of these cards? I don't see any mention of it, though above some people have said these are "just like" regular platinum cards which I know do have the $175 extra user feature.

But even if this feature were available on this card, what does an "extra user" get? Another $1,000 Mercedes certificate? That seems too good to be true. Before I pull the trigger on 2x $475 applications, just want to get a reality check on best strategy. Thank you!
thesilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 11, 8:01 pm   #59
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY
Programs: AA EXP , SPG PLT, AMEX PLAT, HERTZ PC,
Posts: 70
I currently have 2 Mercedes but not under my name it is under my dad name if I switch over to this card would I be eligible for the 2000 over miles and the benefits for my car?
SHENFO11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 11, 10:07 pm   #60
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: MSP
Programs: SPG:Gold, Marriott: Gold, Hilton: Gold, DL:PM
Posts: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.brown View Post
Nope, the MB Platinum by default comes with 50K. I was only asking about the 100K one.
Good to know, hope I get it for upgrading
xolinlevh is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 9:37 am.