Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Mercedes Benz AMEX co-branded cards, [discontinued January 2019].

Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: krazykanuck
Existing Benz Platinum cards will be converted to regular Platinum cards on Jan. 11, 2019 per a letter sent to all cardholders.

The Platinum Card from American Express Exclusively for Mercedes-Benz

60,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $5,000 in purchases in the first three months
$550 Annual Fee, not waived

https://www262.americanexpress.com/dapply/partner/preacq/mbz/mbz-019/carddetails#/cshop
__________________________________________________ _____________

[EXPIRED]75K special offer:

https://www262.americanexpress.com/a...card/012/16580

See published restrictions below. #1 is enforced. #2 is not:
  1. Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
  2. This offer is not valid for existing Platinum Card Members from American Express. You are eligible to receive points for only one Card account.
Print Wikipost

Mercedes Benz AMEX co-branded cards, [discontinued January 2019].

Old Jan 14, 2014, 2:28 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by MileHighCanuck
... "ease" my way towards a a Mercedes-Benz Platinum Card, and maximize my signup bonus possibilities...
I moved your question into this thread because it directly ties in with the most recent posts. Scroll back to xiKiNGix's post which reproduces the terms from the current Mercedes Benz offer.

Welcome bonus not available to applicants who have had a Platinum Card within the last 12 months or any Consumer ZYNC®, Green or Gold Card account within the last 90 days.
This means you need to wait a full year after cancelling your existing personal Platinum Card account before you will be eligible for a Mercedes Benz Platinum card bonus.

The corresponding terms from Premier Rewards Gold mean that you would have to wait 90 days after cancelling personal Platinum to apply -and- you would need to cancel the Gold card at least 90 days before you would be eligible for the Mercedes card.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: Yes.
Originally Posted by nall
MS Plat? I would have assumed MB but you said it's in stark contrast...
Think he/she means morganstanley

Last edited by econjon; Jan 24, 2014 at 2:37 pm Reason: better pronoun usage
Old Jan 31, 2014, 2:06 pm

Mercedes-Benz Platinum Card reimburse for Global entry?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, SPG Gold, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by vickh
Mercedes-Benz Platinum Card reimburse for Global entry?
Yes
Old Mar 4, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, IHG Diamond
Mercedes-Benz $100 Silver Star Certificate - What did you get?

Sorry if not posting this in the right thread....

So I got my very first Amex card last month, the M-B Platinum, mostly for the 50k MR points bonus and to try out FHR and see for myself how good purchase protection from Amex really is. I just received the $100 Silver Star Certificate, good for "genuine M-B accessories." Looks like it's only valid in a dealership (of course), even though their web site has a fairly decent selection of things I could get.

I'm not a M-B owner (yet, though I'm considering a lease in the future), so before I go into a dealership to find something to get with my certificate and likely be accosted by salespeople (LOL), I'd like to ask M-B owners and non-owners: Have you been into a M-B dealership and shopped accessories? Is the selection generally good? Is it worth risking being targeted by salespeople? I'm sure it's YMMV from dealership to dealership, but generally, what can I expect? What did you get with your cert/any suggestions? The Lexus dealership near me has great floor mats and coffee mugs, :roll eyes:, so wondering if M-B stores carry "more." Thanks!
Old Mar 4, 2014, 6:44 pm

Programs: HHonor Dia, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
I've used the $100 cert at the dealership.
At least the one i went to, the "gift shop" is actually separate from their main showroom.
Only a couple of disinterested people manning it, so no worry being targeted by pushy sales people.
Oh, and they don't actually check your ID/address to match the certificate. So you can gift it to someone else if you want.

But yes, the items are all overpriced. Golf shirt is like $40+ (which is on sale, according to the tag).
Plain t-shirt is also on sale at $22. A bunch of caps, keychains ($9 i think, not too bad for souvenirs), air fresheners, bottle waters, etc.
They have rather nice jacket at $80+ actually.
They have a mercedes model cars last year when i went, but couldn't remember the price. But this year, i couldn't find it.
So pretty wide selections i would say.

And keep in mind, they sent the annual cert beginning of the calendar year. So if you apply now, you'll get 2 certificates for 1 annual fee

Originally Posted by LR2013
I'm not a M-B owner (yet, though I'm considering a lease in the future), so before I go into a dealership to find something to get with my certificate and likely be accosted by salespeople (LOL), I'd like to ask M-B owners and non-owners: Have you been into a M-B dealership and shopped accessories? Is the selection generally good? Is it worth risking being targeted by salespeople? I'm sure it's YMMV from dealership to dealership, but generally, what can I expect? What did you get with your cert/any suggestions? The Lexus dealership near me has great floor mats and coffee mugs, :roll eyes:, so wondering if M-B stores carry "more." Thanks!
Old Mar 4, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 3MM, DL Plat, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
I used my $100 MB certificate recently in Las Vegas. I'm guessing that the selection of merchandise varies from dealer to dealer.

I bought a golf shirt and a windbreaker. They also had model cars, sunglasses, golf bags, hats, keychains and other apparel.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:47 pm

Excellent ideas, though I will shamelessly admit that the MB models sound rather exciting!
Old Mar 5, 2014, 8:58 am

Every dealer is set up a little differently. At the one I frequent, the accessories are near the service department. No clothing at my dealer, but I have purchased a backpack, travel bag, and cooler using the certificate. I was going to buy a watch this year, but doubt that I will renew the card, given the AA/US lounge loss. Yes, the merchandise is overpriced, but so be it.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by TTT103
Every dealer is set up a little differently. At the one I frequent, the accessories are near the service department. No clothing at my dealer, but I have purchased a backpack, travel bag, and cooler using the certificate. I was going to buy a watch this year, but doubt that I will renew the card, given the AA/US lounge loss. Yes, the merchandise is overpriced, but so be it.
Yes, definitely agree the merchandise is overpriced, but don't want to "walk away" from $100 so it worked, they're getting me into a dealership, LOL. Would be more handy if you could apply it towards anything at the MB dealership - service, parts, etc, or even get so many car washes per year, but accessories only? I will likely be heading for a jacket and travel bag or backpack, and maybe see what pens they have.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:21 pm

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by LR2013
Yes, definitely agree the merchandise is overpriced, but don't want to "walk away" from $100 so it worked, they're getting me into a dealership, LOL. Would be more handy if you could apply it towards anything at the MB dealership - service, parts, etc, or even get so many car washes per year, but accessories only? I will likely be heading for a jacket and travel bag or backpack, and maybe see what pens they have.
our dealer suggested going online, choosing whatever we wanted and they ordered it in for us, don't choose zippo style lighter, broke quickly, the high ball glasses are pretty solid
Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:15 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Sorta a late post, but i used mine last year on the little suit jacket hanger attachment for the backseat.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 3:23 pm

In February, we were denied entry into the Airspace lounge in T5 at JFK while flying JetBlue with a MB Plat card. Apparently while consumer and business platinum card holders are allowed in, Mercedes Benz platinum card holders are not. This was verified by the people at the lounge desk and an AMEX rep on the phone.

I just called AMEX customer service again to verify after finding the airspace lounge listed very clearly on their website and spent about 30 minutes with them trying to figure this out. Airspace lounges are listed on all AMEX webpages that I can find and there is nothing to distinguish MB Plat from other types of Plat. When you go to the MB Plat application page and read the benefits, Airspace lounges are listed explicitly. Seems like a bait and switch to me.

Hopefully they are just wrong and will get this straightened out. Has anyone experienced benefits that the regular consumer platinum card receives that the MB Plat is ineligible for? Seems contrary to everything I have heard in the past.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 6:07 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by kilbornr
... Seems like a bait and switch to me.
Improbable, more likely an error. The reason these charts are required is that American Express (worldwide) has issued a number of platinum colored cards, and some cards with the term "platinum" in the name, but not all of them are Platinum cards for benefits purposes. The Mercedes card should be eligible.

I suggest you contact the official Airspace representative to work through this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...spaceonft.html
Old Mar 10, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by mia
Improbable, more likely an error. The reason these charts are required is that American Express (worldwide) has issued a number of platinum colored cards, and some cards with the term "platinum" in the name, but not all of them are Platinum cards for benefits purposes. The Mercedes card should be eligible.

I suggest you contact the official Airspace representative to work through this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...spaceonft.html
+1, the MB branded plat card has identical perks to the regular ones, with the addition of the mercedes specific offerings. No difference in the airline club entrance however very often its the agents at the lounges who do not know what the rules are.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.