Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

How long do Amex Platinum benefits last after CC is cancelled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

At some point right before my 1st anniversary with the Amex Plat, I will prob cancel it because of the high annual fee.

Does anyone know if the side benefits (eg Starwood Gold status and priority pass card) expire as soon as the Plat is cancelled?

The priority pass card that I got when I signed up thru amex plat has an expiration date in 2014.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:12 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by p112983
At some point right before my 1st anniversary with the Amex Plat, I will prob cancel it because of the high annual fee.

Does anyone know if the side benefits (eg Starwood Gold status and priority pass card) expire as soon as the Plat is cancelled?

The priority pass card that I got when I signed up thru amex plat has an expiration date in 2014.
I'm assuming the priority pass will expire since when you enter lounges and the Rep swipes the card, maybe it'll come up as invalid. Although I'm not sure. I think the Starwood Gold status will last as long as you keep status with them.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:22 pm

good question re: SPG gold.. do they typically call annually to re-verify you still have Platinum? I doubt that, so you may have SPG gold for a while..

Last edited by mase; Nov 20, 2011 at 1:25 pm
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by mase
good question re: SPG gold.. do they typically call annually to re-verify you still have Platinum? I doubt that, so you may have SPG gold for a while..
You think it could possibly last multiple years?
Old Aug 17, 2011, 1:17 am
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
Before cancelling the card, if I make hotel reservations through FHR, are FHR rates still good, even the date of all reservations are after the cancellation date?????
Since we do not need to pay the hotels by Platinum/Centurion Card, the hotels may not notice we do not have Platinum/Centurion anymore.

By the way, since I travel a lot and use FHR many times a year, I feel the AMEX annual fee in USA is inexpeisive compared to other countries.
If I do not travel enough, it could be a waste of money.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 6:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The SPG status can expire at the end of the year or it can continue. I've had it go both ways over the years with no particular indication as to why it would go one way or the other.

For the FHR reservation I believe the only requirement is that it be paid with an AmEx once made so that should hold.

Priority Pass is an interesting one. The card says it is valid for a while and the only time it gets "charged" is when there is an additional guest. Still, I'm not particularly inclined to cancel and be the guinea pig testing this one.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 7:10 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Previous related discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ge-access.html
Old Aug 17, 2011, 7:21 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mia
I read the thread and can't seem to find anything about the Priority Pass. On the card it states good until 2014 and I only show my Priority Pass card and id to get into lounges so wondering if we cancel Platinum card and don't have another AMEX card how does that work? Is the Priority Pass card invalid?
Old Aug 17, 2011, 7:36 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by canesfan
I read the thread and can't seem to find anything about the Priority Pass.
That would be because Priority Pass was not a benefit of USA-issued Platinum cards at the time of the discussion.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 8:09 am

SPG - for many years I did not have to do anything. The last 2 years I have had to send to Starwood a copy of my Platinum statement showing that I still have the Card.

PP - it bills to Amex, I would guess that when the charge is rejected so shall you be too.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
You think it could possibly last multiple years?
My question as well. I mean, it would make sense if you wanted to cancel and then use the benefits a week later for a big trip or something. But do you really want to use the benefits for multiple years, without paying the fee? Doesn't that seem somewhat an abuse of the system?
Old Aug 17, 2011, 3:59 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Delta Gold, Alaska Air MVP Gold
Originally Posted by captaindomon
But do you really want to use the benefits for multiple years, without paying the fee? Doesn't that seem somewhat an abuse of the system?
That's kind of a slap in the face to the rest of us FlyerTalker's who pay the yearly fee for the benefits.

Besides it probably constitutes fraud. Not that anyone would ever do anything about it, but if you're okay with it, I guess why not get away with whatever you can.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 5:10 pm

Programs: AC*75K, Amex Centurion, Marriott Platinum Elite, All Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
The terms and conditions on my Cent card say that Amex reserves the right to contact any companies associated with benefits, such as Fairmont and Priority Pass, whereby discontinuing your benefits. I'm not sure if they actually do this or how quickly they do it, but that is their official line.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 6:02 pm

Slightly off topic but I've only had the Platinum for a few weeks. What is the Priority card you guys are mentioning? Is this something separate from the actual Platinum card and how do I get it? I have a trip coming up soon and thought I could just show my Amex Plat card. Thanks.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by swat16
Slightly off topic but I've only had the Platinum for a few weeks. What is the Priority card you guys are mentioning? Is this something separate from the actual Platinum card and how do I get it? I have a trip coming up soon and thought I could just show my Amex Plat card. Thanks.
Here is the link for amex site.
It is a separate card. To get the card, click on get started and follow the instructions.
https://rewards.americanexpress.com/...umprioritypass

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.