Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

How long do Amex Platinum benefits last after CC is cancelled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long do Amex Platinum benefits last after CC is cancelled?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:06 am

HELP

Hi all
I have a question to ask - maybe someone here was in the same situation or knows the answer:
I am holding the Platinum Charge UK card - atm it has a fee of Ł450 ($575) and comes with less benefits that the cheaper US version
Long story short - i wanna downgrade to the green one (still wanna have the charge card but not interested in paying so much for very limited benefits, terrible concierge service and no real useful promotions)
The only real drawback is losing the Priority pass - which is something i use - but doesnt not make wanna me pay Ł450/year
My questions is:
i have recently received a new Priority Pass (valid thru April 2020 - as my current one expired this month)
Of course they didnt knew i was planning to cancel my Amex - so my question is - will i still be able to use that card after i cancel my platinum? From what i recall - they dont ask you for the Platinum card when you use the PP lounges and the card is valid thru 2020

Unless of course Amex will notify them and they will cancel my card??
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:13 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by london2tim
Unless of course Amex will notify them and they will cancel my card?
They will. The expiration date printed on the Priority Pass card is a "not later than" date.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by london2tim
will i still be able to use that card after i cancel my platinum?
From my experience: your card will still work, but you will be charged US$27 per person per visit by Amex.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by echino
From my experience: your card will still work, but you will be charged US$27 per person per visit by Amex.
I recently cancelled my Amex HHonors Surpass card, and it had a Priority Pass membership benefit. A few weeks later, I got a letter from PP that explained that the complimentary PP membership terminated along with my Surpass card, but they extended the base level of PP membership to me for free until the expiry date on the PP card. I would be charged $27 for each visit. Now that I think of it, it's not clear to me how they would collect on that charge, since the only credit card they presumably knew about was the Surpass. I don't think Amex would give them one of my other accts. Perhaps I had to activate this offer by supplying PP an alternate credit card. I don't remember that part of it, since I have another PP membership.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Steve M
I would be charged $27 for each visit. Now that I think of it, it's not clear to me how they would collect on that charge, .
Pay at the desk upon entry.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:02 pm
mia

Originally Posted by mhdena
Pay at the desk upon entry.
To my knowledge Priority Pass never collects payment at the lounge.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
Cancelled personal Amex Plat couple of days ago. Got two separate e-mails today:

1) "we've cancelled your enrollment in Starwood Preferred Guest® Gold status. Your program enrollment number is no longer active. You will be receiving confirmation from Starwood shortly."

2) "we've confirmed the cancellation of your enrollment in Hilton HonorsTM Gold Status. Your program enrollment number is no longer active. You will be receiving confirmation from Hilton shortly."

Hope gold status will continue till expiry date mentioned on physical card. It will be sad if the status abruptly terminates. Any recent DPs? Thanks!
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress
Cancelled personal Amex Plat couple of days ago. Got two separate e-mails today:

1) "we've cancelled your enrollment in Starwood Preferred Guest® Gold status. Your program enrollment number is no longer active. You will be receiving confirmation from Starwood shortly."

2) "we've confirmed the cancellation of your enrollment in Hilton HonorsTM Gold Status. Your program enrollment number is no longer active. You will be receiving confirmation from Hilton shortly."

Hope gold status will continue till expiry date mentioned on physical card. It will be sad if the status abruptly terminates. Any recent DPs? Thanks!
interesting. I used SPG Gold to status match to Marriott Gold. Do you think Marriott Gold will also cancel too? I noticed you're Marriott Gold, but not sure how you obtained it.

Separately, I also status matched rental cars as well. I highly doubt they the 3rd parties will cancel your status, but they may ask you annually to confirm your existing status linked to the AMEX benefits. All my rental car statuses are based of National Exec, which based on past posts indicate doesn't get cancelled.

I just want to maintain my Hertz 5-star and Marriott Gold. :-)
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Long Islander
When you cancel your Amex, for how long do you maintain your gold, Exec, etc. status with Hilton, National, etc? Is it through the end of the year in which you cancel? Similarly, if I cancel my Platinum card in June, can I still use a Delta lounge by showing my unexpired but invalid Platinum card and a boarding pass?
not sure, does Delta swipe your AMEX card normally? If they don't, they probably just go off the expiration date on the card.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by mdosu
not sure, does Delta swipe your AMEX card normally? If they don't, they probably just go off the expiration date on the card.
They swipe it, so you lose skyclub once its dead.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:13 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mia
To my knowledge Priority Pass never collects payment at the lounge.
As I was leaving the Alaska Boardroom at LAX a few weeks ago, someone was paying $45 to enter.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:32 am
mia

Originally Posted by mhdena
As I was leaving the Alaska Boardroom at LAX a few weeks ago, someone was paying $45 to enter.
They were buying a day pass, rather than using a Priority Pass membership. The question I was discussing is whether a lounge will collect the $27 fee which applies with some Priority Pass memberships for admission or guests. The lounge will never collect a fee on behalf of Priority Pass.

Last edited by mia; Jun 22, 2017 at 6:08 am
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress

Have you yet heard back from Starwood and Hilton about this?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Have you yet heard back from Starwood and Hilton about this?
Nothing yet, I am still gold in both programs when I checked the web site, but it's been less than a week. Watch and wait ...
Old Jul 3, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: Starwood/Hyatt/IHG-PLAT/Hilton-DIA
Originally Posted by cplush
They swipe it, so you lose skyclub once its dead.
can anyone else confirm the swipe for delta upon entry?

I have a delta flight coming up but will likely wait to cancel after the flight if the delta sky lounge status terminates immediately...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.