Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

How long do Amex Platinum benefits last after CC is cancelled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long do Amex Platinum benefits last after CC is cancelled?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2012, 1:34 am

This has been widely discussed. Reports are that the priority pass is cancelled when you cancel the platinum card.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 6:01 am

Fair enough that they would cancel it...but that said...IIRC, they do not swipe the Priority Card but instead take an imprint of the card no? I would say it would be a 50/50 on if they will charge you or not. Give it a go and let us know what happens!
Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by yyz-kin
I would say it would be a 50/50 on if they will charge you or not.
So, there's a 50/50 chance you could get away with theft of service?

Give it a go and let us know what happens!
Or, you could decide to not try to use benefits you're not paying for and are not entitled to.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:44 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

spcitrin's question has been moved into the previous discussion of the same topic.

Be aware that many Priority Pass lounges do swipe the membership card, but some do still have a manual system.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by spcitrin
I was wondering if anyone knows if you can continue to use your priority pass select that you get as a platinum card holder after you cancel your account.

I canceled my platinum account in December and my PPS is still valid until 2013 would I still be able to use it or is that also canceled because it was issued by AMEX.
I am pretty certain this would be a terrible idea. Not just immoral, possibly illegal (theft). That said, I doubt AMEX or PP would pursue it.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 4:09 pm

Cancelling AMEX Platinum - lounge access/priority pass still active?x

I cancelled my AMEX Platinum card today - just wondering if the card still works to get into lounges, and if my priorty pass that I got with it is still active?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 4:20 pm
mia

Moderator action

j-rad's question has been moved into the established thread on this topic, where this very question was discussed on 5 January. Must be the card cancelling season.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by mia
j-rad's question has been moved into the established thread on this topic, where this very question was discussed on 5 January. Must be the card cancelling season.
Yeah. When Amex announced the $200 airline incidentals benefit, a lot of folks must have signed up and are canceling after a year. That's just my guess.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 8:44 am
mia

Confirmation that Priority Pass memberships are cancelled when the American Express Platinum Card account is closed can be found in this thread, begin reading at post 98:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...l#post17821883
Old Jan 16, 2012, 8:52 am

Do you need Priority Pass for Admirals clubs as well? I thought you could get entry with just the Platinum card
Old Jan 16, 2012, 8:55 am
mia

Originally Posted by uppereastff
Do you need Priority Pass for Admirals clubs...
Very few Admirals Clubs accept Priority Pass. The Platinum Card itself permits access to US Airways lounges, as well as American Airlines and Delta Airlines lounges when flying the same airline as operates the lounge. Please see this thread to understand the different rules which apply to each lounge:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...arge-card.html
Old Jul 22, 2012, 7:38 am

Plat CC- SPG Gold Status Benefit

I have the AMEX Plat card which I received in July 2011. The annual fee is coming up next month and I am deciding whether I should keep it or not. If I cancel it, would my Gold Status be eliminated immediately or would it expire on 2/28/2013 as stated?

Last edited by metoo; Jul 22, 2012 at 10:25 am
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:35 am

Amex Plat SPG Gold status expire if cancel card?

i've had the plat card for a year and just 'renewed' my spg gold status as i didn't meet the required nights ...i simply called the amex plat card services and requested the gold status with spg ( simply connected me to spg and fixed the status)..

my question is - my annual fee is upcoming and i was wondering would the canceled plat card go over to spg and they would cancel my gold status? i am not sure if i wana keep the card but would hope to keep gold status with spg if its possible..i wasn't sure if amex would send some kind of notification to spg to let them know about this.

thanks for the help !
Old Mar 4, 2013, 2:51 pm

unless something has changed since i had the amex plat and thus SPG gold, your SPG gold status will stay until the expiration shown on the SPG gold card they send you. you can probably also check on spg.com when you log in. regardless, once the amex folks get you your SPG gold it should be independent of the amex card.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 9:06 pm

SPG Gold status is given out like candy. You have many ways of getting SPG gold without Amex Platinum card. I would not worry about Goldat all if you travel. Keep your eyes open. Same with Hertz Gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.