How long do I have to dispute a charge with AMEX?

Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Platinum, HHonors Gold

I ordered something online and paid with my AMEX card. The merchant is saying the item will not be in stock for 4-6 weeks. I'm willing to wait, but what if they never ship it?

Is there a time limit after which I will no longer be able to dispute the charge if I never receive the item?
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:13 am

I believe it is 60 days from the date of the statement that the purchase is on. But why did they charge you if the item is not available yet? Reputable merchants generally don't charge until the item is shipped.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eeeee
I believe it is 60 days from the date of the statement that the purchase is on. But why did they charge you if the item is not available yet? Reputable merchants generally don't charge until the item is shipped.
Some merchants charge you right away, when you place an order, even if the item is not in stock. B&H Photo is an example of a merchant who does that.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 7:05 pm

Reg Z - 60 days.

I've seen 6-12 months before for travel related charges, it's best to call and dispute; the letter that arrives later will explain if the dispute is declined.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 4:51 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by AX Concierge
... it's best to call and dispute; the letter that arrives later will explain if the dispute is declined.
It may be "best" for American Express, but in the USA consumers must submit disputes in writing to receive full legal protection. I prefer to have no telephone contact with any credit card issuer because there is insufficient accountability.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 4:57 am

It doesn't sound like the merchant charged and batched the order yet. I don't think there is anything to worry about.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 6:53 am

Programs: Persona Non-Status, DYKWIA Club President, Formerly of Pa Kettle Fame
AMEX Canada told me 90 days.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by will2288
It doesn't sound like the merchant charged and batched the order yet. I don't think there is anything to worry about.
This is not an authorization we are talking about. It's an actual charge.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 8:09 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
I was told 90 days from US Am Ex Platinum Card Customer Service.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Okay, I got the real info. direct from Amex:

https://twitter.com/#!/AskAmex/statu...37964913111041

Apparently, you have 60 days to dispute a purchase but that date is taken from 60 days after the date of promised delivery. So, if the merchant said it would be delivered in 14 days for example, you then have 60 days from then in order to be able to dispute the charge.

Seems like a good and liberal dispute policy to me.

Note, this is only for items not received. For other types of disputes, it sounds like it's 60 days from the purchase date.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:28 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
What about booking air tickets 7 months ahead? If something goes wrong during travel period, will I have a chance to dispute this within a month after travel? Even though the charge would have occured far beyond 60 days.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by vincewy
What about booking air tickets 7 months ahead? If something goes wrong during travel period, will I have a chance to dispute this within a month after travel? Even though the charge would have occured far beyond 60 days.
I have the same problem as well. Now I will have to see what AMex responded for the ticket I purchased last May.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Merchants should not be actually charging you until they fulfill the order. They will likely run an authorization on the card at the time of order to see if you have funds, but they aren't technically supposed to settle the charge until it has been shipped. So 60 days after settlement.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 4:58 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by vincewy
What about booking air tickets 7 months ahead? If something goes wrong during travel period,...
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
I have the same problem as well. Now I will have to see what AMex responded for the ticket I purchased last May.
What type of problem could you have with an airline which would be resolved through a dispute? Schedule changes and similar are not the type of problems that a credit card issuer will handle.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I could see a situation where an airline cancels a flight or changes a schedule months after the ticket was purchased, and refuses to refund the original purchase, if the passenger wants. But generally there aren't many valid reasons to have to dispute a ticket purchase.
And I guess there's always small claims court as backup.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.