Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Cathay Pacific Marco Polo Gold [Ends 2015, then 50% Fast Track]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Cathay Pacific Marco Polo Gold [Ends 2015, then 50% Fast Track]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Originally Posted by antirealist
Rumours, or just speculation? We were rumoured to be getting some new benefit in 2014 as well, and that did not happen.
I can't find the specific thread right now. But it was on here in this forum.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 6:25 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by JordanWalker
I can't find the specific thread right now. But it was on here in this forum.
I hope you're right, but most of what I remember on this forum was wishful thinking
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:01 pm

That's right. You can get this in the UK through the dollar platinum.

At the end of the year expect to be bumped to entry level and your Marco polo points zeroed.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:28 am

Royal Bank Cathay Pacific Visa Platinum

I thought (was hoping) when CX terminated its relationship with Canadian Amex The Platinum, it was going to upgrade the Visa that Royal Bank has co-branded with CX for some time with a version of the premium Visa Infinite Privilege. I seem to be wrong. In fact, it does not seem CX has been interested in marketing this RBC Visa card, at least not as much as the CIBC/TD Aeroplan Visas or Air Canada with Amex. It requires special effort find it in CX's web site.

Last edited by Clipper801; Apr 28, 2015 at 2:19 pm
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:39 pm

Programs: Singapore, Cathay, QANTAS, Delta, Velocity, Etihad
I had CX Gold for 3 years with Australian Amex Platinum. Last year I was told that the deal ended in March 2015, but in the meantime I actually qualified (just in time) for CX Gold...and was granted CX Diamond. So it seems that whilst the CX Gold for Amex Platinum has been revoked, some sort of membership level bump up must remain....for now at least.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by RBH58
I had CX Gold for 3 years with Australian Amex Platinum. Last year I was told that the deal ended in March 2015, but in the meantime I actually qualified (just in time) for CX Gold...and was granted CX Diamond. So it seems that whilst the CX Gold for Amex Platinum has been revoked, some sort of membership level bump up must remain....for now at least.
All Canadian Amex The Platinum cardholders were offered a "fast track" (lower than normal mileage requirements) to MPC Silver/Gold/Diamond at expiry of the Amex complimentary status. I assume that it's the same for the Australian market. However, I understand it to be a one time thing. So after this year, the normal requirements will apply to re-qualify for subsequent years.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:42 pm

Programs: Singapore, Cathay, QANTAS, Delta, Velocity, Etihad
Originally Posted by Clipper801
All Canadian Amex The Platinum cardholders were offered a "fast track" (lower than normal mileage requirements) to MPC Silver/Gold/Diamond at expiry of the Amex complimentary status. I assume that it's the same for the Australian market. However, I understand it to be a one time thing. So after this year, the normal requirements will apply to re-qualify for subsequent years.
Better enjoy my "Diamond year" then, because I doubt I'm going to requalify!
Old May 7, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
I didn't even bother trying to do the fast track as I hardly have any international travel. Just started collecting AA now cause at least there's a chance to get complimentary upgrades.
Old May 13, 2015, 4:42 am

I have Cathay emerald status through Amex until Jan 2016. I reached around 65K miles last year so the one-time offer meant I qualified for this. This year I will reach itro 60K miles but none on CP as they are to exepnsive on my normal routes. I am based in the UK so would it now be more beneficial to move to the BA programme when flying OW? Any advice gratefully received.
Old May 13, 2015, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Rodge
I have Cathay emerald status through Amex until Jan 2016. I reached around 65K miles last year so the one-time offer meant I qualified for this. This year I will reach itro 60K miles but none on CP as they are to exepnsive on my normal routes. I am based in the UK so would it now be more beneficial to move to the BA programme when flying OW? Any advice gratefully received.
You need at least one flight on CX or KA to qualify for higher tier status on MPC.

It depends on your travel pattern/destinations. You may very well want to consider Star Alliance or Sky Team as your most suitable FF programme.

Each airline runs its own FF programme. So there are variations. You will need to do your own research as to which one best suits your particular situation.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 6:32 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Does anyone know if the FastTrack is continuous or only available for 2015? I'm thinking of going back to OneWorld and not sure if I should stick to AA or Cathay Pacific.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by GateGuardian
Does anyone know if the FastTrack is continuous or only available for 2015? I'm thinking of going back to OneWorld and not sure if I should stick to AA or Cathay Pacific.
AFAIK it was a one time "soft landing" when CX parted way with Amex Plat. You would need 60,000 miles (or 90,000 miles depending on your current MPC status) and must include at least one flight on CX or KA to re-qualify for MPC Gold.

If you live in North America, AA will likely be better for you.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:59 am

Programs: AC, AMEX, BA, WS
So it would appear that CX has granted me a second soft landing.

No letter yet, but I logged into my account yesterday to discover that I'm MPG until June 30th, 2016.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 1:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
We should pressure Amex to give Elite status with an alternative major alliance airline. It really sucks that CX Goldbis no longer offered but the annual fee is still $700. I don't fly often enough to get airline elite status but CX Gold would have been valuable for getting airline benefits on those occasions.

Was the benefit removed because CX frequent flyers were complaining that Gold status was being too easily given to r"riff-raff" and that it affected the availability of their privileges (lounge crowding, upgrades)

Last edited by MasterGeek; Aug 19, 2016 at 10:00 am
Old Aug 19, 2016, 7:40 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
...but the annual fee is still $700. ...
To my knowledge the annual fee was not increased when this benefit was added. Is that inaccurate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.