FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Got my new platinum, if i don't activate, do I still need to pay the annual fee? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1191787-got-my-new-platinum-if-i-dont-activate-do-i-still-need-pay-annual-fee.html)

skn2n8 Mar 7, 2011 1:37 pm

Got my new platinum, if i don't activate, do I still need to pay the annual fee?

I got my new platinum card today and what happens if i don't activate. Do I still need to pay the annual fee? I will be out of USA for sometime and don't intend to use it as much as I thought.

mia Mar 7, 2011 1:41 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk.

If you cancel any card American Express will automatically issue a pro-rated refund of the annual fee. Worst case, they might expect you to pay 1/12th of the fee, $37.50, but more likely nothing if you explain promptly. However, bear in mind that this card will not incur foreign transaction fees after this month and might be of use wherever you will be.

skn2n8 Mar 7, 2011 1:50 pm

Thanks Mia. Having no transaction fees is a good perk. I am also getting 50K MR points for $1000 spend.
So if I cancel after few months, what will happen to my points and will they still refund pro rated annual fee?

mreed911 Mar 7, 2011 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by skn2n8 (Post 15991430)
Thanks Mia. Having no transaction fees is a good perk. I am also getting 50K MR points for 100k spend.
So if I cancel after few months, what will happen to my points and will they still refund pro rated annual fee?

MR points on this card are 1:1, you should get 100K MR points on 100K spend. Or did you mean you're getting a 50K bonus? Most of us here got 50K bonus on $1500 spend.

skn2n8 Mar 7, 2011 1:56 pm

Sorry, yes 50K bonus for $1000 spend.

mlad1101 Mar 7, 2011 2:59 pm

If you cancel the card shortly after meeting the 1k spend and getting the bonus points, don't be surprised if they take back the points or charge you for them.

Also how do you expect to get the bonus points if you don't activate the card and in turn are not meeting the spend within the first 3 months?

mreed911 Mar 7, 2011 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by mlad1101 (Post 15991867)
If you cancel the card shortly after meeting the 1k spend and getting the bonus points, don't be surprised if they take back the points or charge you for them.

Also how do you expect to get the bonus points if you don't activate the card and in turn are not meeting the spend within the first 3 months?

The terms don't allow them to "take back the points" if you meet the requirements, but if you don't have another card that is MR eligible, you don't have an MR account anymore, so your points disappear. Transfer them out first.

Ancien Maestro Mar 8, 2011 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by mreed911 (Post 15992584)
The terms don't allow them to "take back the points" if you meet the requirements, but if you don't have another card that is MR eligible, you don't have an MR account anymore, so your points disappear. Transfer them out first.

Sounds like you only get the Platinum Bonus Miles once.. so if you reapply, you may not be entitled to it.. I may be wrong.. and actually hope I'm wrong.;)

mreed911 Mar 9, 2011 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 16000785)
Sounds like you only get the Platinum Bonus Miles once.. so if you reapply, you may not be entitled to it.. I may be wrong.. and actually hope I'm wrong.;)

Depends on whether the terms say "first time..." or not.

Don't hope. Read the terms.

Edit to add: That didn't address your question, though. If you close your last MR related card, the account closes and you lose the points. Opening a new account wouldn't automatically restore the points. Spend them or transfer them before you close the account (or open a Zync card and link it to the account, and keep it open so there's somewhere for the points to go).

ahrz Mar 9, 2011 9:49 am

a "non activated" card means only, that no charge will be accepted on the card . The card account remains "in use" even if the card is not activated so the fee must be payed anyway. The insurances coming with the card (and Priority Pass etc.) are still valid if the card is not activated.

mia Mar 9, 2011 9:56 am

Originally Posted by mreed911 (Post 16002128)
... open a Zync card and link it to the account, and keep it open so there's somewhere for the points to go).

Zync requires an annual fee. Blue is the best USA-issued card to use a a points holder because it is completely free and also participates in Membership Rewards Express.

Clarification. It must be this Blue card, not one which participates in any other rewards program:

http://www201.americanexpress.com/ge...arn-about/Blue

mreed911 Mar 9, 2011 9:57 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 16002706)
Zync requires an annual fee. Blue is the best USA-issued card to use a a points holder because it is completely free and also participates in Membership Rewards Express.

Nice! I did not know this!

Steve M Mar 9, 2011 10:02 am

Don't new card spend bonuses normally take "8-12 weeks" to post? And require the account to be in good standing at the time of bonus posting? This is one way they can make sure they get at least 3 months of pro rata annual fee from you.

Ancien Maestro Mar 9, 2011 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M (Post 16002751)
Don't new card spend bonuses normally take "8-12 weeks" to post? And require the account to be in good standing at the time of bonus posting? This is one way they can make sure they get at least 3 months of pro rata annual fee from you.

My personal experience with this is.. overnight, as soon as the threshold is passed, the bonus miles is posted and immediately transferable.. of course, this is in Canada, and some different rules may apply in the states.

lobo411 Mar 9, 2011 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M (Post 16002751)

Yes, it seems to vary by person. I initially decided to cancel my card without activating it after I had second thought about the annual fee. I called to cancel and they told me I could use my 50,000 points to pay the fee, so I might as well give it a 1 yr test drive.

I met my spend requirement on 12/29, and on 1/14 I got my statement with the fee due. So I called in to cancel again on the grounds that the first rep had made it seem as though I wouldn't be paying anything out of pocket. The rep said my points would be posting soon, so he'd flag the fee and I wouldn't have to pay it till the points posted.

Next month rolls around, and the fee was back, but no points. So I emailed customer service and they asked me "what 50000 point promo?" I replied "The one on your website...in fact, it's still there!" They then said I'd absolutely be getting my points "in 8-12 weeks." So that would put it around 3/25...no points yet.

I'll probably keep the card till November and then cancel if the points post by 3/25, and if not I'll cancel immediately and complain to the state attorney general. I don't like the shifty game they played with these points. Constantly making and breaking promises is certainly no way to treat someone with whom you're trying to establish a lasting business relationship. :eek: