Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Got my new platinum, if i don't activate, do I still need to pay the annual fee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Got my new platinum, if i don't activate, do I still need to pay the annual fee?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2011, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by lobo411
Yes, it seems to vary by person. I initially decided to cancel my card without activating it after I had second thought about the annual fee. I called to cancel and they told me I could use my 50,000 points to pay the fee, so I might as well give it a 1 yr test drive.

I met my spend requirement on 12/29, and on 1/14 I got my statement with the fee due. So I called in to cancel again on the grounds that the first rep had made it seem as though I wouldn't be paying anything out of pocket. The rep said my points would be posting soon, so he'd flag the fee and I wouldn't have to pay it till the points posted.

Next month rolls around, and the fee was back, but no points. So I emailed customer service and they asked me "what 50000 point promo?" I replied "The one on your website...in fact, it's still there!" They then said I'd absolutely be getting my points "in 8-12 weeks." So that would put it around 3/25...no points yet.

I'll probably keep the card till November and then cancel if the points post by 3/25, and if not I'll cancel immediately and complain to the state attorney general. I don't like the shifty game they played with these points. Constantly making and breaking promises is certainly no way to treat someone with whom you're trying to establish a lasting business relationship.
hmmm, maybe they have to play the "shifty games" to retaliate for the shifty games that so many consumers play with them, including part of the premise of this thread, taking 50k points and canceling the card to get some of the fee returned. i often play these games as well, such as with the Hyatt card and the $75 first year fee for 2 nights at the PH Tokyo (~$1500ish). If they are acting according to the T&C we agree to in order to get free points, it's not really fair to hold them to a higher ethical standard.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 10:04 pm

My bonuses have posted when the statement for the period in which the terms were met was cut. For example, when I met a $1000 spend requirement the 1,000+ MR points were pending but the 25,000 MR point bonus posted and were able to be used immediately once the statement cut.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.