Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Credit Line Reallocation - Again available [2011]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Credit Line Reallocation - Again available [2011]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2012, 6:08 am

Programs: A few
Anybody know what happened to the online option? Looking to do a reallocation of a couple of lines on accounts that have been open for several years with high limits and no other reallocation in the last 12 months. Nothing is showing up online any more
Old Jun 15, 2012, 6:58 am

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Anybody know what happened to the online option? Looking to do a reallocation of a couple of lines on accounts that have been open for several years with high limits and no other reallocation in the last 12 months. Nothing is showing up online any more
I still see it. Go to account management and select "manage credit limit". One of the options is "Transfer available credit to another card". Note that this option will only show up if you select an Amex with a credit limit and not with one of the charge cards (the ones that have no pre-set spending limit). Also, unlike in past years, you can only transfer credit lines between personal accounts only or business accounts only (it won't allow the transfer between personal and business accounts).
Old Jun 15, 2012, 7:30 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by I Love to Travel
I still see it. Go to account management and select "manage credit limit". One of the options is "Transfer available credit to another card". Note that this option will only show up if you select an Amex with a credit limit and not with one of the charge cards (the ones that have no pre-set spending limit). Also, unlike in past years, you can only transfer credit lines between personal accounts only or business accounts only (it won't allow the transfer between personal and business accounts).
Thanks. I managed to find this, but unfortunately it doesn't show up here either. So maybe for some reason my account is excluded. I just get check balance transfer / check spending ability / check recent declines as options on credit cards. I have several personal and biz amex credit cards, and they all show the same. The charge cards don't show the balance transfer option
Old Jul 11, 2012, 8:32 am

This is only peripherally related, but has anyone automatically had their credit limits reassigned from an old card to a new card? I have a Blue card that I never use, which used to have a credit limit of around $9600. I applied for the SPG Amex two days ago, and got a deferred approval. When I logged into my account today, I see a credit limit of $4900 on my Blue card.

Why is my credit limit reduced? Could I be jumping the gun, and it's just a temporary glitch related to my new account?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:29 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by aarif1
Why is my credit limit reduced? Could I be jumping the gun, and it's just a temporary glitch related to my new account?
Yes, I had this happen when I opened my SPG account, they moved some of the credit line from my Blue card which i rarely use to the new SPG account.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:30 am

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
Originally Posted by aarif1
This is only peripherally related, but has anyone automatically had their credit limits reassigned from an old card to a new card? I have a Blue card that I never use, which used to have a credit limit of around $9600. I applied for the SPG Amex two days ago, and got a deferred approval. When I logged into my account today, I see a credit limit of $4900 on my Blue card.

Maybe they approved your SPG application by moving credit from your Blue to open your new SPG acct. This happened to my wife last year. She's had a Hilton Amex for years with a high limit. She applied for the Delta Amex. Shortly after, we noticed her Hilton Amex credit line was reduced by $5K. The new account had been approved with a $5K limit and we got a letter confirming that Amex had taken $5K from the Hilton account to open the Delta acct.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:37 am

Thanks for the confirmation guys. I guess it's not really a big deal, just kind of surprised because I didn't know they could do that, and because I have much higher total credit limits with both Chase and Citi.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:36 am

Programs: SPG, Hyatt Diamond Member, Club Calrson Silver, AA, Hilton Gold, BA
anyone with the new Amex able to reallocate lines?

They gave my personal 9.5k and my Business 3k lol. I can deal with 3k but I would rather at least make it 5k to give me more room.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by livestrongforever
They gave my personal 9.5k and my Business 3k lol. I can deal with 3k but I would rather at least make it 5k to give me more room.
They don't let you transfer available credit between personal and business cards.

If you go to the AMEX website and type "transfer available credit" in the help box you will get a list of FAQ.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 6:38 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ddallas
They don't let you transfer available credit between personal and business cards. .
Unfortunately true, I have a very respectable line of credit stranded on the business side dating back to the days when such transfers were possible.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 5:51 am

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Originally Posted by ddallas
Go to amex website and search "transfer credit card" in help.

# Why can't I transfer available credit between my personal and small business credit Cards?
Given the differences between our personal and small business products, we do not allow transfers between those accounts.

# Why aren't all of my Cards eligible for a transfer of available credit?
Only your credit cards with enough available credit are eligible for a transfer request. They must also meet other criteria which may include account status, recent transfer requests or type of...

# Why can I only transfer available credit to between two Cards?
You can only request a transfer between two Cards once within a 30 day period. If you'd like to submit a request for another Card, please wait at least 30 days.

# Why can't I request a second transfer of available credit if I have already requested a transfer between other Cards?
You can only request one transfer within a 30 day period. Please wait at least 30 days since your last transfer to submit a new request.
OK I give up,
where do i find this function online. I found it once before, but i cant seem to find it now even through search.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 6:10 am

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
And the fact that you can do it now is exactly why it's here.
I was able to find it on the old AMEX website however, I can only find a credit line increase link and for just one of my cards on this new AMEX website
&Y&&^ why does AMEX have to constantly change websites???

anyways, does this make since anyways if I am thinking of canceling a card?
thanks!
Old Sep 6, 2012, 7:10 am

Programs: HH Diamond, DL PM
Originally Posted by frank_10b
I was able to find it on the old AMEX website however, I can only find a credit line increase link and for just one of my cards on this new AMEX website
&Y&&^ why does AMEX have to constantly change websites???

anyways, does this make since anyways if I am thinking of canceling a card?
thanks!
I tried transfering my credit line yesterday on my gold account to my platinum account. They wouldn't let me since the Gold account hadn't been open for at least 13 months.

Transferring the limit would make sense if you have another Amex card that you could transfer the limit to. That way you keep the same amount of open credit.

Originally Posted by frank_10b
OK I give up,
where do i find this function online. I found it once before, but i cant seem to find it now even through search.
If your card is less than 13 months old, you may not find it.

On my account, I clicked on 'Profile & Preferences' and then under the Account Management section on the left, I selected 'Manage Credit Limit'.

Last edited by mia; Sep 6, 2012 at 10:52 am
Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by kblagg
If your card is less than 13 months old, you may not find it.

On my account, I clicked on 'Profile & Preferences' and then under the Account Management section on the left, I selected 'Manage Credit Limit'.
maybe we have different website from AMEX, but my website looks new to me and under this tab it takes me directly to adding an acct mgn and nothing else for all my AMEX card, one of which is 20yo.
thanks

I tried transfering my credit line yesterday on my gold account to my platinum account. They wouldn't let me since the Gold account hadn't been open for at least 13 months.

Transferring the limit would make sense if you have another Amex card that you could transfer the limit to. That way you keep the same amount of open credit.
I must have some weird freaky website of AMEX because it looks nothing like it use to and the tab which use to lead me to this option online sends me to something asking if I want to set up an acct mgn for each of my accts.
almost all my accts are over 13 months old.

Last edited by mia; Sep 6, 2012 at 10:52 am
Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:50 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I tried transfering my credit line yesterday on my gold account to my platinum account.
Which cards do you have? The Zync, Green, Gold, Platinum charge cards do not have credit lines, there is nothing to move. This feature only applies to credit cards such as Blue, Delta, Hilton, JetBlue, Starwood.

Also bear in mind that transfers cannot be made between business and personal card accounts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.