Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Credit Line Reallocation - Again available [2011]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Credit Line Reallocation - Again available [2011]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:07 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by austin_modern
What is the point of moving credit lines from one card to another? It only takes a couple clicks to get 10-30k++ worth of additional credit on an amex card instantaneously (well 20 mins or so).
Many reasons:

-reduce debt/available credit ratio on a card
-avoid increasing total available credit
-avoid hard inquiry to credit report
-avoid triggering amex financial review

...I could go on.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold
worked for me on 2/21. Moved $5K in credit from my Hilton Gold to my new DL Platinum since I will be using it significantly more this year (unless until I hit hte spending targets).
Old Apr 7, 2011, 10:43 am

Besides calling in, you can now once again reallocate AMEX credit limits online when you log in to your account. I don't know how long the online option has been available, I just saw it reappear today. A form comes up with dropdown lists of your accounts. Select "FROM" account and "TO" account and enter amount of credit limit to transfer.

TRANSFER AVAILABLE CREDIT
You can request to have a portion of your available credit transferred between two of your eligible consumer credit cards or two of your eligible business credit cards.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 11:02 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ddallas
You can request to have a portion of your available credit transferred between two of your eligible consumer credit cards or two of your eligible business credit cards.
Previously it was possible (on the website) to transfer credit from a personal card account to business card account (or the reverse). It would be interesting to know if this is still possible, even though that wording suggests not.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Did you transfer business to personal or business to business?
They do not allow CL xfers between business & personal.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 7:16 pm

Besides calling in, you can now once again reallocate AMEX credit limits online when you log in to your account. I don't know how long the online option has been available, I just saw it reappear today. A form comes up with dropdown lists of your accounts. Select "FROM" account and "TO" account and enter amount of credit limit to transfer.

Where do you see this option online? I just logged in and cannot find it. I have tried to transfer lines over the phone, but they asked to verify my income and stated a credit report might be pulled. I did not go through with transferring lines. Would love to try it online.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 5:39 am

Where do you see this option online? I just logged in and cannot find it. I have tried to transfer lines over the phone, but they asked to verify my income and stated a credit report might be pulled. I did not go through with transferring lines. Would love to try it online.
Click on "recent activity" then on the next screen look at the bottom, to the left of the button that says "Pay Bill" there is a link "Transfer available credit to another card." That's how I found it. When you click on that link it brings up a page where you select the accounts to transfer from and to. It has a box to enter how much, and a box to enter your income.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 6:21 am

Click on "recent activity" then on the next screen look at the bottom, to the left of the button that says "Pay Bill" there is a link "Transfer available credit to another card." That's how I found it. When you click on that link it brings up a page where you select the accounts to transfer from and to. It has a box to enter how much, and a box to enter your income.
Thank you.

However I just had an interesting experience. Followed your directions and found a link. Clicked on it and nothing happened. Went back and repeated your directions and the link to transfer is no longer there
Old Apr 8, 2011, 4:46 pm

Followed your directions and found a link. Clicked on it and nothing happened. Went back and repeated your directions and the link to transfer is no longer there
I think this is a link that comes and goes like the credit line increase link. When phone reallocation became available, I reallocated over the phone. Now when I look at my cards, the card I transferred FROM does not have the link, the card I transferred TO does have the link. There are some rules in the AMEX help pages that say you can only reallocate once per so many days. I guess it is by card. I think that is why the card I reallocated from does not have the link. Or maybe it is glitchy.

From AMEX help pages:

Why can't I transfer available credit between my personal and small business credit Cards?
Given the differences between our personal and small business products, we do not allow transfers between those accounts.

Why can I only transfer available credit to between two Cards?
You can only request a transfer between two Cards once within a 30 day period. If you'd like to submit a request for another Card, please wait at least 30 days.

Why aren't all of my Cards eligible for a transfer of available credit?
Only your credit cards with enough available credit are eligible for a transfer request. They must also meet other criteria which may include account status, recent transfer requests or type of credit card.

Why can't I request a second transfer of available credit if I have already requested a transfer between other Cards?
You can only request one transfer within a 30 day period. Please wait at least 30 days since your last transfer to submit a new request.

How much of my available credit can I transfer?
You can request a transfer amount in increments of $100. The maximum you can transfer will be based on such factors as your available credit, your spending history with us, and other information in your credit history.

Why is the maximum transfer amount less than my available credit?
The maximum you can transfer will be based on such factors as your available credit, your spending history with us, and other information in your credit history.

Last edited by ddallas; Apr 8, 2011 at 7:39 pm
Old Apr 9, 2011, 5:22 pm

Finally was able to submit a request online. How long does it usually take? The confirmation stated 7-10 days for a response
Old Apr 9, 2011, 8:40 pm

Finally was able to submit a request online. How long does it usually take? The confirmation stated 7-10 days for a response

Thank you,
Your request has been approved. Your Credit Limits will be updated within the next 15 minutes.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite

Thank you,
Your request has been approved. Your Credit Limits will be updated within the next 15 minutes.
I did it online last thursday. Got a message that it would take 7-10 days.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by ellinj
I did it online last thursday. Got a message that it would take 7-10 days.
was your request granted yet?
Old Apr 9, 2011, 10:52 pm

nope, been only 2 business days though.
Old May 30, 2011, 11:51 am

It never went through, nor did I receive a letter denying it. I just did it again, and it went through instantaneously.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.