Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum $200 Airline Credit Strategy? [Read message #1 before posting]

Platinum $200 Airline Credit Strategy? [Read message #1 before posting]

Old Apr 9, 2011, 10:08 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Around $199 of airline charges in three separate transactions were just credited back to me under this benefit. I have no complaint about this but it is very opaque why those particular charges were eligible and earlier similar charges were not. Still, I'll take the money!

Last edited by RichardInSF; Apr 11, 2011 at 2:36 pm
Old Apr 9, 2011, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by mreed911
Stop calling. Use the secure email form and get this documented in writing. Every time they reply, reply back with more information. Push them that way, ensuring that it's all documented well.
Oh man... I should have mentioned that I did use the secure e-mail form before call #3, but the people answering e-mails didn't understand what I wanted and disputed the charge! I could not get across to them that I wanted the fee credit, not to claim I didn't make the charge.

Call #3's phone rep advised that although his office is in the US, the e-mail support team tend not to be. I now have a month-old letter saying that my dispute is closed and it's been submitted for the airline fee credit, but I have no credit. I'm hoping it posts when my statement closes in a week. If not, I guess I'll go back to secure e-mail.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 1:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier
I'm surprised this thread isn't getting more attention. A free $200 if you know how to game the amex systems so the charge gets reimbursed. Sounds like gift cards worked for some people (on some airlines). That would definitely be a good deal since you can use them any way you want. I'm curious what other strategies people have successfully used. Anyone out there with a recommendation?
Old Apr 12, 2011, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by 5thofjuly
I'm surprised this thread isn't getting more attention. A free $200 if you know how to game the amex systems so the charge gets reimbursed. Sounds like gift cards worked for some people (on some airlines). That would definitely be a good deal since you can use them any way you want. I'm curious what other strategies people have successfully used. Anyone out there with a recommendation?
Which airlines besides AA have gift cards that would qualify for the reimbursement?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 7:56 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold
I'm just going to be using the $200 to pay for a few CO/UA lounge passes after the divorce!
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by flyer iah
anybody tried geting reimbursed for * gift certificates?
omg. Ftfy.

*: As, fl, aa, co, dl, f9, ha, b6, yx, nk, wn, ua, us, vx
Old Apr 14, 2011, 8:24 pm

Anybody tried geting reimbursed for * award ticket fee (tax + possible fuel surcharge + possible phone booking fee)?
Originally Posted by mreed911
omg. Ftfy.

*: As, fl, aa, co, dl, f9, ha, b6, yx, nk, wn, ua, us, vx
Old Apr 15, 2011, 5:22 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ordua
I bought miles from UA and got credit from Amex. Anyway to get more then $200?
Does anyone know when the $200 fee resets for a new year? Would it be on a new calendar year or on your card anniversary?

Buying miles might be a good way to burn the balance of this $200 if you've got extra laying around at the end of the year.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 6:39 am

Programs: AA, UA, HH, *wood
Originally Posted by Jake Gittes
Does anyone know when the $200 fee resets for a new year? Would it be on a new calendar year or on your card anniversary?
It resets on calendar year. This was confirmed as people got the full $200 benefit in Q4 2010 and have started again in 2011.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by LAX Gambit
It resets on calendar year. This was confirmed as people got the full $200 benefit in Q4 2010 and have started again in 2011.
man, if planned correctly, that could have been a $50 annual fee card!

actually i guess it could be for anyone
Old Apr 16, 2011, 8:04 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Sounds like anything reported without a ticket number and under a certain dollar threshold is going to post correctly and get reimbursed.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 6:06 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ordua
I bought miles from UA and got credit from Amex. Anyway to get more then $200?
Anyone else have any luck getting reimbursed for mileage purchases?
Old Apr 19, 2011, 7:35 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, UA, AA ExPlat, AS, HHonors Diamond, Avis Preferred, Marriott, Priority Pass
Amex PLT $200 credit

If I charge the annual airline lounge fee on the AMEX PLT will it qualify for the $200 credit? I would still have an out of pocket cost but it would be great to have some offset to the cost.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 3MM, DL Plat, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
Yes, I believe that airline lounge fees qualify for reimbursement
Old Apr 19, 2011, 8:45 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Delta Gold, Alaska Air MVP Gold
I thought it was only the daily passes that qualify, not the annual fee. I haven't tried either, but before you do it, get some advice from others on here that might know for sure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.