Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

How do the 4x bonus points work for Platinum bonuspointsmall purchases?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do the 4x bonus points work for Platinum bonuspointsmall purchases?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2012, 7:58 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Merged ikonos's question into an established thread discussing the Membership Rewards shopping portal which was previously called Bonus Points Mall. Scroll back to post 27 to find a link to a thread discussing the absence of any information about pending transactions.

There is also a separate thread regarding hotel bookings:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ointsmall.html

Which hotel brands did you book, and did read the merchant-specific terms to be sure that your reservation would qualify?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 8:16 am

Programs: A few
the absence of any tracking mechanism makes it hard for sure. but mine have been posting. i did a bunch of country inn and suites bookings, and slowly but surely the extra points have posted. also did an apple store purchase that posted. i can't say for sure but it felt like it was in that 4-6 week period they quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 9:27 am

I must say that I find the bonuspointsmall site to be frustrating to use, compared with the Delta Skymilessshoping porta, for examplel. Because the bonus points for the "mall" shopping post at such varied times (up to 10 weeks after purchase) and often merged with other purchases, I think that it is very difficult to keep track of your points to ensure they are posting properly. (I always print out the order.)

In contrast, while the Skymilesshopping posting, no longer identifies the merchant, the miles post very quickly--usually by the time the item ships if not before. In addition, you receive the bonus points (miles) in addition to the points (miles) associated with the charge itself, which from my experience can be any charge card, reward points, gift card, etc.

I have discussed this with AMX Platinium representatives, and whilte they acknowledge the problem, there doesn't seem to be any move to improve the system. Given that the Platinum card is one AMX's premier cards, I really don't understand the situation.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: Curr Noob, Ex Road Warrior
Originally Posted by mia
Merged ikonos's question into an established thread discussing the Membership Rewards shopping portal which was previously called Bonus Points Mall. Scroll back to post 27 to find a link to a thread discussing the absence of any information about pending transactions.

There is also a separate thread regarding hotel bookings:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ointsmall.html

Which hotel brands did you book, and did read the merchant-specific terms to be sure that your reservation would qualify?
Mia - Thanks for merging with the main thread. I went through all the links and it seems like it has been a hassle to keep track of or get the points posted correctly. I think I should just take my business else where.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 1:05 pm
mia

Originally Posted by ikonos
... just take my business else where.
I did, and I wrote to American Express customer service on the way out to explain the decision.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by lkar
I have an apple purchase I need to make and would like to get the 6x points. I also have a $100 apple gift card. If at check out, I apply the gift card to bring the total down $100 and then use my Amex to charge the remaining, say, $500, will I get the 6x on the $500?
Just thought I would come back and say that yes, indeed, I did get the MR points with bonus on the portion of my purchase that was not paid with the apple gift card. YMMV, but there it is in case others have a similar question.

I would add that with the funky way that Amex posts pending points and tracks them across multiple accounts it took a bit of work to confirm that I did in fact get 6x on the non-gift-card portion of the purchase, but I did.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:07 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Question about AXP/Earn mall

I get a 1x bump by holding the plat card, 4x vs 3x, etc. Do I actually have to make the purchase with the plat card or can I use the PRG to receive the enhanced bonus?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:17 am
mia

Moderator action

Merged DC777Fan's question into an existing thread where the same question has been asked a couple times, but not answered definitively.

OPINION: Provided you have linked your Gold and Platinum cards to the same Membership Rewards account, I believe you should receive the extra point per dollar when using the Gold card at americanexpress.com/earn, because the bonus is a feature of Membership Rewards First. You should have received a letter notifying you that your Gold card would participate in First because you also hold a Platinum card. In other words, it's a feature of the program level, not the card.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:17 am

Gift Cards Qualify for Bonus Points?

I'm thinking about upgrading to a platinum card (I've been pre-approved supposedly) and have a question about how the MR 10x bonus works. Would I still get the bonus if I were to buy a gift card through the MR shopping rewards site at say Best Buy? I need a new TV and thought of going through the mall for gift cards then going to my local store and using them so I can more easily coordinate delivery, installation, calibration and extended warranty. (If you have an opinion on extended warranties for new TVs throw that in too)

Also, any comments on the whether it is worthwhile to upgrade from gold to platinum would be welcome.

Thanks for the help
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:26 am
mia

Welcome to Flyertalk. Read the terms of (for example) the Best Buy link on the American Express shopping portal:

The following are not eligible to earn bonus points: Best Buy Gift Card, purchase of any services, including but not limited to: online photo center sales, digital downloads, long distance or internet service sales.

Free Shipping offer excludes enhanced shipping options, such as next-day or second-day air and is limited to in-stock items. Delivery area is limited on special delivery and oversize products. To be eligible to earn bonus points, you must be enrolled in the Membership Rewards® program ("Program") at the time of purchase and you must charge your qualifying purchase through the www.membershiprewards.com/earn website on an eligible, enrolled American Express® Card. For a listing of all eligible and non-eligible Card products, please visit www.americanexpress.com/cards or call the 800 number on the back of your card. Offers on www.membershiprewards.com/earn are eligible for US Membership Rewards-enrolled Cardmembers only and are not valid in all markets. Purchases which involve shipment of items to an address outside of the United States may not qualify to earn bonus points. To be eligible to earn bonus points, you must be enrolled in the Membership Rewards® program ("Program") at the time of purchase and you must charge your qualifying purchase on an eligible, enrolled American Express® Card. Offers on membershiprewards.com/earn are eligible for US Membership Rewards-enrolled Card members only. Only qualified purchases made through the method specifically described in the "How To Get Offer" section are eligible to earn bonus points. Participating merchants are subject to change without notice. Additional terms and conditions apply and appear at www.membershiprewards.com/earn. Bonus points will be credited to your Program account within 8-12 weeks after charges appear on your billing statement Membership Rewards Express® and Membership Rewards® Enrollees Bonus ID: 1935. Membership Rewards First® Enrollees Bonus ID: 8445.
https://bonuspoints.americanexpress....est_type=earn#
Old Apr 30, 2012, 6:45 pm

Thanks

Thanks. Guess I'll have to do it the more complicated way I worked out with the guys at the local Best Buy store. Sure would have been easier to buy gift cards.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 7:32 pm

I have used the bonus points mall several times over the past couple months on items ranging from a SPG hotel booking to tooth whitening gel.
Rarely if ever have they posted. Used the link, paid with plat. Pretty much nothing yet besides a few points fromba B&N purchase.
Rarely since last July have I gotten the points.
It's really not worth it to me to make a fuss at the moment. But there definitely needs to be an overhaul, at least if my experiences are indicative.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 9:25 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Given the inability to actually track purchases, I only use the site when the earnings are greater than other available options, so with Staples.com, Newegg.com, Buy.com, Apple.com and the like ... and previously Hilton.com (no longer a partner) ... I get points posted to my account but really have no idea what transaction they go with. I think I'm doing okay if just half post since as I said, I only use it on sites where the earnings there are a lot better than other options.
Old May 1, 2012, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by DC777Fan
I get a 1x bump by holding the plat card, 4x vs 3x, etc. Do I actually have to make the purchase with the plat card or can I use the PRG to receive the enhanced bonus?
Or, for that matter, can I use a non-Amex card to receive any bonus? I wouldn't expect the full 4x (since the way Amex advertises that it really is 1x from the card itself plus 3x from the mall portal), but would the remainder of the bonus points from going via the portal be earned?
Old May 29, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by DC777Fan
Originally Posted by akcae
Or, for that matter, can I use a non-Amex card to receive any bonus? I wouldn't expect the full 4x (since the way Amex advertises that it really is 1x from the card itself plus 3x from the mall portal), but would the remainder of the bonus points from going via the portal be earned?
An update on this:

I made a purchase with a Discover card via the Platinum bonus points mall. The offer was for 4x bonus. Today (several weeks later, they like to keep to their 6-8 weeks, lol) 3x bonus posted to my MR account. So, at least anecdotally, the extra bonus works, even when not using your Amex card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.