Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Platinum Benefits UK vs US

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2011, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
AMEX Platinum Benefits UK vs US

Does anybody know what the current AMEX Platinum benefits are for UK cardholders? The information on their website (http://www.americanexpress.com/uk/platinum-card/#sub2) looks out of date (Northwest?, and do they offer continental in the UK but not in the US?). Overall, the benefits seem less than for the US card (no $200 rebate, no Global Entry refund, no SPG Gold, no rental car status, etc.) but (1) it looks like the UK Platinum offers the full Priority Pass membership (includes some UA/CO lounges) and not the Priority Pass Select, and (2) their airline lounge partners would be appealing if it included some combination of BA, UA/CO, and Delta.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 7:08 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
While some of the details are stale, the benefits of the UK card are basically as described. Charge cards issued in different countries are only superficially similar. I'm not sure what the purpose of making cross-national comparisons would be, unless you are eligible to apply for both?

The UK card is bundled with a number of supplementary cards; these cost extra in the USA version. The UK card includes travel insurance which is not available with the USA card. Priority Pass was only recently added to the USA cards, and excludes UA clubs because that's the deal UA made with Priority Pass; memberships issued in other countries are not affected. The $200 airline fee reimbursement benefit is not available in any market except USA. The USA card has recently eliminated foreign transaction fees, this has not happened in any other market.

There are dozens of other differences.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 7:33 am
Original Poster

US vs UK AMEX Platinum

I'm interested in the US vs UK comparison because I have the US card and my wife (UK resident) is eligible for the UK card... trying to decide whether it is worth it to keep the US card, get the UK card, or get/keep both.

To summarize so far:

Airline Lounge Access: US (AA, USair, Delta) versus UK (unknown... Northwest?, Continental?, BMI?).
Lounge Access: US (Priority Pass Select) versus UK (Eurostar and full Priority Pass)
Fee Reimbursement: US ($200 for 1 airline) versus UK (none)
Hotel Status: US (SPG Gold) versus UK (none? unclear...)
Car Rental Status: US (Hertz, Avis, and National) versus UK (Hertz?)
Car Rental Insurance: US (available) versus UK (none)
Travel Insurance: US (none) versus UK (available)
Buyer Protection: US (available) versus UK (available)
Foreign transaction fees: US (waived) versus UK (fees... amount?)

To me, the US card looks better, but how much depends on what lounge access you actually get with the UK card...
Old Dec 2, 2011, 7:45 am

Programs: AX/Accor/IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Carlson Gold, BA Silver, KM Permanent, JJC (Retd)
I've just got my Amex Platinum (UK), but I haven't yet received all of the other program cards.
However, the benefits to include priority pass (including another one for a supplementary card). Status in SPG (for lifetime of card), Hilton, Radisson, Cathay Pacific (1 year). Discounts on Hertz, Avis etc.
All good fun, and worth it for the insurance alone.

See here in the BA forum
Old Dec 2, 2011, 7:46 am

Why don't you look at Amex's UK website, which sets out all the Platinum benefits? It is clearly set out there

Edited to add - you seem to have an old webpage. Try this which should answer your questions.

The cardholder's website is more up to date

Platinum Partners Airline Lounge Access
In addition to Priority Pass, you'll be welcomed at the lounges of bmi, American Airlines Admirals Club®, Delta Sky Club® when you travel with them, whatever your class of travel. Simply show your Platinum Card with your boarding pass.

You can also use all 17 of the US Airways Club lounges regardless of what airline you are flying – including lounges in New York, Los Angeles, Boston and Washington, D.C. All you need is your Platinum Card and a government-issued ID.
Eurostar Business Premier Lounge Access
When you travel by rail on Eurostar, you and your primary supplementary Platinum Cardmember can relax before boarding with complimentary access to Eurostar Business Premier Lounges. Just show your ticket and Platinum Card.

Last edited by Disco Volante; Dec 2, 2011 at 7:51 am
Old Dec 2, 2011, 7:51 am
mia

Here are the answers that I know:

Airline lounge access with the Platinum card itself is the same for the UK and USA issued cards (AA, DL, US). Northwest Airlines merged with DL. The relationship with Continental ended.

I believe the UK card provides Starwood Gold plus one year only of Hilton Gold status. In the USA perpetual HHonors Gold is bundled with the Surpass credit card.

Car rental insurance is provided with the UK card, it's mentioned as part of the travel insurance.

UK foreign transaction fee is 2.99%.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by kraftar
Airline Lounge Access: US (AA, USair, Delta) versus UK (unknown... Northwest?, Continental?, BMI?).
Lounge Access: US (Priority Pass Select) versus UK (Eurostar and full Priority Pass)
Hotel Status: US (SPG Gold) versus UK (none? unclear...)
Car Rental Status: US (Hertz, Avis, and National) versus UK (Hertz?)
Car Rental Insurance: US (available) versus UK (none)
Foreign transaction fees: US (waived) versus UK (fees... amount?)

To me, the US card looks better, but how much depends on what lounge access you actually get with the UK card...
Lounge access - BMI, some US airlines I would never use, and - if you apply before end Feb, 1 year of Cathay Gold = BA Silver
Priority Pass - yes, you are correct
Fee reimbursement - yes, correct
Hotel status - SPG, Hilton, Carlson (latter two 1-year only)
Car rental status - yes, correct
Car rental insurance - wrong, the Plat insurance gives full coverage
Travel insurance - FULL for 5 full family groups (assuming you give 1 member of each family a supplementary card on your account), a hugely powerful benefit if used correctly
FX fees - 3%, same as 99% of UK credit cards

However, you miss a key point. You can get 42,000 MR points for the UK sign-up at present via a referral (see the BA board, search for 42,000) which more than covers the Ł300 annual fee - so get your wife the card anyway for the sign-up bonus! You can then cancel at any point for a partial refund of your Ł300 anyway.

If you live in the US then you should check the UK Platinum travel insurance carefully to see how that would affect you, especially if you were holidaying in the US and needed to claim (there are some exclusions on claims in your country of residence).
Old Dec 2, 2011, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Disco Volante
Why don't you look at Amex's UK website, which sets out all the Platinum benefits? It is clearly set out there

Edited to add - you seem to have an old webpage. Try this which should answer your questions.
yeah, that looks like the same link. Click on the 'Travel Privileges' tab and it says:

"Partner lounge: When you fly with Northwest Airlines or bmi, and you travel with Eurostar you are also entitled to access to their respective lounges."

and when you click on the 'Premium Access' tab it says:

"Partner Lounge: When you fly with Continental Airlines, Northwest Airlines or bmi, and you travel with Eurostar you are also entitled to access to their respective lounges (partner terms and conditions apply)."

of the 3 airlines listed Nothwest no longer exists and it's unclear if Continental is included (and if included, does it extend to UA?).

So thanks for the link which cleared everything up...^^

Last edited by mia; Dec 2, 2011 at 8:05 am Reason: Formating
Old Dec 2, 2011, 8:04 am
mia

Originally Posted by kraftar
...unclear if Continental is included (and if included, does it extend to UA?).
There is no access to CO or UA lounges by presenting a Platinum Card issued in any country. There is access to some of their lounges by presenting a Priority Pass, unless the card is Priority Pass Select. (There is also language on the Priority Pass website which excludes all memberships issued by USA banks, even if the physical card is not yet marked Select, but a membership obtained through American Express Europe should be valid at CO/UA.)
Old Dec 2, 2011, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help!

There still seems to be some confusion about the airlines (is BMI? one person mentions Cathay gold status, etc.), but it's probably best just to call AMEX and ask them.

Updating the comparison...

To summarize so far:

Airline Lounge Access: US (AA, USair, Delta) versus UK (same? BMI?).
Airline Status: US (none) versus UK (Cathay gold?)
Hotel Status: US (SPG Gold) versus UK (SPG. Hilton & Carlson for 1 year)
Car Rental Status: US (Hertz, Avis, and National) versus UK (Hertz, Avis, ?)
Car Rental Insurance: US (available) versus UK (available)
Foreign transaction fees: US (waived) versus UK (2.99%)
Sign-up Bonus: US (25,000 MR w/ $1,000 spend in 3-mths) versus UK (42,000 MR w/ referral sign-up).
Old Dec 2, 2011, 9:07 am
mia

American Express practice frequently deviates from policy. USA Platinum cardholders report success entering the Eurostar lounge. I don't recall any discussion of using a USA-issued card to enter a BMI lounge.

Your list omits the large number of supplementary cards included with the UK card:

Supplementary Cards
Make the most of your Platinum Card membership by sharing your benefits with up to five others. You can give up to 1 Supplementary Platinum Card to a loved one, and up to 4 supplementary (Green or Gold) Cards to others. Any time a supplementary Cardmember makes a purchase on their Card, you accumulate the Membership Rewards points.

Additional Cards
You can also request an Additional Platinum Card just for yourself. By having two, you can use one for business and one for personal expenses.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 5:56 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
kraftar some of your details still seem slightly out of date. Perhaps it's only when logged in you can see all the details? Can you access https://www298.americanexpress.com/p...uk/en/login.do ?

Platinum Partners Airline Lounge Access
In addition to Priority Pass, you'll be welcomed at the lounges of bmi, American Airlines Admirals Club®, Delta Sky Club® when you travel with them, whatever your class of travel. Simply show your Platinum Card with your boarding pass.

You can also use all 17 of the US Airways Club lounges regardless of what airline you are flying – including lounges in New York, Los Angeles, Boston and Washington, D.C. All you need is your Platinum Card and a government-issued ID
Full T&Cs at https://secure.cmax.americanexpress....ungeAccess.pdf (although this isn't the clearest of pages - e.g. bmi apparently only allow the cardholder, not cardholder+guest, but from reading this PDF you could think it was the latter.

The Cathay Gold isn't a routine offering AFAIK, but if you ask for it before Feb you should be able to get it.

Agree the travel insurance is a big benefit. Also the car rental cover has no additional fees (I believe the US one does) and also neither travel nor car rental require you to have paid for things using your Amex. They only ask that any charges for travel delay are put on the Amex card. Purchase protection/refund guarantee obviously require the purchase to have been made on the card.

Car hire - you get Hertz #1 Gold as well as Avis Preferred, although not sure if the latter confers much by way of benefits.

You still get FHR & SLH benefits, although without the online booking system the US has (you have to phone Plat Travel Services).

The sign-up bonus is still contingent on a spend (?Ł1.5k in 3 months) IIRC.

The forex fee sadly is still in place on the UK card.

You get brilliant help from the @AskAmex_UK team They really have stepped in to help me out with a few issues.

Hope the above is of help!
Old Dec 4, 2011, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Here's what I know ... hope it helps.

Airline Lounge Access: US (AA, USair, Delta) versus UK (AA, DL, US Airways, BMI).
Lounge Access: US (Priority Pass Select) versus UK (full Priority Pass, which includes many UA/CO lounges in USA and Eurostar)
Hotel Status: US (SPG Gold) versus UK (SPG Gold, Hilton Gold)
Car Rental Status: US (Hertz, Avis, and National) versus UK (Hertz, Avis)
Car Rental Insurance: US (available) versus UK (Yes, full coverage)
Travel Insurance: US (none) versus UK (Yes, full coverage)
Buyer Protection: US (available) versus UK (Yes)
Foreign transaction fees: US (waived) versus UK (2.99%)
Old Dec 6, 2011, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
Thought I would mention some differences between the UK and US cards that may not have already been underlined:

(1) For me the biggest benefit with the UK card is that when restrictions kicked in to lock out Priority Pass "Select" members from United Red Carpet Clubs in October, United at that point opened ALL the Red Carpet Clubs and former Continental President's Clubs to full Priority Pass card holders--i.e. those who either pay for a Priority Pass membership directly from Priority Pass or have a Priority Pass issued from a non-US financial institution such as AMEX UK. Thus, I can now use the LAX Red Carpet Club with the Priority Club card issued off my UK AMEX card and I can drop my Red Carpet Club membership when it renews next year.

(2) Note with the US cards, usually every additional card holder has the same benefits-- ie. can sign up for benefits such as Starwood Gold status and rental car benefits. My understanding with the UK accounts is that other than the additional Priority Pass for the supplementary card holder, the supplementary card holder does not have the ability to sign up for the other hotel/rental car related membership status.

(3) The UK accounts offer a supplementary card holder included in the annual membership fee, the US market requires extra payment for the additional card holder.

(4) Membership Rewards Program: (a) Membership rewards points redeemed for airline miles in the US program require payment of an additional excise tax fee. Miles redemption through the UK program does not carry a surcharge. (b) The US membership awards program allows miles to be transferred into the mileage accounts of any additional cardholder which is great for top offs; the UK program will only transfer miles into the primary cardholder's frequent flyer accounts. (c) Partner airlines may differ between the US and UK programs--not all airlines participate in both Membership Rewards programs. (d) Mileage conversion rates sometimes differ between the two programs. For instance, I think the US Membership Rewards transfers 100,000 points to 100,000 Flying Blue Miles with Air France / KLM while the International Dollar Card UK program transfers 100,000 points to 80,000 Flying Blue Miles. (20,000 miles less).

Last edited by LAXRuss; Dec 6, 2011 at 1:17 pm
Old Dec 6, 2011, 12:09 pm
mia

Originally Posted by LAXRuss
...Membership rewards points redeemed for airline miles in the US program require payment of an additional excise tax fee.
Only when transferring to USA-based carriers: Airtran, Delta, Frontier, Hawaiian, JetBlue, and Virgin America. Of these only Delta is a transfer partner in the UK program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.