Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Revert back to gold, still have plat card, can you get lounge access?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2010, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club British Airways Executive Club

So, hypothetically speaking, if I physically still have my Platinum AMEX card, would it be able to get me into an airport lounge? In other words, do the lounges just check to see if you have a platnimum AMEX card or do they somehow swipe it / verify that it's tied to an active platinum AMEX account?

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

-Matt
Old Nov 12, 2010, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Club Gold, HHonors Gold
In my recent experiences they always swipe the card.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:16 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by MattDell
... would it be able to get me into an airport lounge?

It is my understanding that the airport lounges swipe one's card (in this case, Amex platinum) so that the airline can charge American Express.

Therefore, I am assuming it is a no for you.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Of course. Consider that even if you're able to get away with it, it's theft of service. The Amex Platinum lounge access benefit isn't like a AAA discount, whereby the merchant agrees to give a small discount for members of a certain group. Instead, the airport lounges get paid money (most people say in the range of $15-25/visit) by Amex for each visitor. If an invalid card is used to access the lounge, someone is going to be stuck with the bill. I suspect that the lounge will end up not getting paid by Amex.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 11:59 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
You could be billed for the lounge visits at the prevailing daypass rates. There is a relevant anecdote in this previous discussion:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ge-access.html
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:54 pm

And IME, they ALWAYS swipe the card.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by Steve M
Of course. Consider that even if you're able to get away with it, it's theft of service. The Amex Platinum lounge access benefit isn't like a AAA discount, whereby the merchant agrees to give a small discount for members of a certain group. Instead, the airport lounges get paid money (most people say in the range of $15-25/visit) by Amex for each visitor. If an invalid card is used to access the lounge, someone is going to be stuck with the bill. I suspect that the lounge will end up not getting paid by Amex.
Plus1!^

I really can't understand why anyone would even think of presenting an expired AmEx Plat card -- fully aware that they have cancelled their account, and thereby any 'privileges' that are afforded by the card! This is the type of thing that holds up the check-in process at the lounges!
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by mnmag
...I really can't understand why anyone would even think of presenting an expired AmEx Plat card...
My thought exactly. +1^
Old Nov 18, 2010, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by mnmag
Plus1!^

I really can't understand why anyone would even think of presenting an expired AmEx Plat card -- fully aware that they have cancelled their account, and thereby any 'privileges' that are afforded by the card! This is the type of thing that holds up the check-in process at the lounges!

Agreed. It's stupidity at it's finest!
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
I don't think some of you read the OP. The card has not expired. He had a platinum, then downgraded to a gold, but still has a platinum card. The account number stays the same when one does this. The old platinum card will even work for purchases even though it's now a gold account.

AA swiping the card won't pick up that it's actually a gold account.

Will AA be able to tell when he tries? No. Will he get into the lounge? Yes. Should he do this? No. Is this theft? Yes. Will Amex do something about it? Dunno.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Amex Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold
So, hypothetically speaking, if I physically still have my Platinum AMEX card, would it be able to get me into an airport lounge? In other words, do the lounges just check to see if you have a platnimum AMEX card or do they somehow swipe it / verify that it's tied to an active platinum AMEX account?

-Matt
Seems like a case of fraud to me - hypothetically speaking!
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by jgsx
...The card has not expired. He had a platinum, then downgraded to a gold, but still has a platinum card. The account number stays the same when one does this...
So sorry to ask this (English is my 2nd language..) but isn't canceling Platinum card the only way to get downgraded to Gold card?
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Originally Posted by sjeon89
So sorry to ask this (English is my 2nd language..) but isn't canceling Platinum card the only way to get downgraded to Gold card?
Yes, you cancel the Platinum and move to Gold, but the account number doesn't change. The expiration date on the Platinum card would still be in the future. The "canceled" Platinum card will still be usable even though it is now tied to a Gold account.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 2:42 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jgsx
The old platinum card will even work for purchases even though it's now a gold account.
I think we do understand, but I believe that by presenting a card on a Gold or Green account the holder authorizes purchase of a daypass to enter the lounge. I don't think the card number remaining the same (which does not always occur) is critical. American Express can forward charges from a prior account number to the new number. Likewise, American Express can remove an account number from the database used to authorize lounge access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.